Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor Heli newcomer - What Battery?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Indoor Heli newcomer - What Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
IMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor Heli newcomer - What Battery?

Hi

I am about to go in for a fixed pitch Piccolo or similar and would like some info on what direction to take on the battery side of life ie NiMH or Li-Po? What voltage etc? Many suppliers in the UK seem to push NiMH so I wondered if there was anything useful you could tell me specific to indoor helis.

Thanks in advance.

IMW
Old 05-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Indoor Heli newcomer - What Battery?

My personal opinion, go with lithiums. They are a lot lighter and you will get a lot more flying time, just make sure you get a good lithium charger to charge it. I have a 7.4 volt, 2100mah lithium in my Hummingbird (pretty much the same heli) and I am getting about 20 minutes of flying time.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87350.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	276278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84576.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	276279  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:47 PM
MaxHeli

Sorry for getting off topic, but how do you like the Hummingbird?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Charlie

It's not a bad heli, it's a topical micro heli. It hasn't give me any problems, but I had to do some mods and it flies pretty good now. I'll keep it just to play around with, but I wouldn't buy another one (micro heli).
Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 AM
IMW

Dunno whether to go in for the Hummingbird or Piccolo.....plenty of mixed opinions.......
Old 05-27-2005, 11:32 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IMW

Dunno whether to go in for the Hummingbird or Piccolo.....plenty of mixed opinions.......
Both are fine. I have a FP Piccolo, and have helped many others with their FP Piccolos. I have also helped with an Aerohawk, a Hummingbird, an ESky4ch (and plenty of outdoor T-Rexes.)

For indoor flight, I like the Piccolo and the Hummingbird the best. More quality in these kits than in others I have seen. But more than model selection, component selection makes or breaks the success of the heli.
The best flying helis, on any of the indoor ones I listed above, had a head hold gyro and seperate ESCs.
A 3 cell LiPo battery, a Futaba GY240 (or GY401), and main ESC with the right capacity, and a high frequency tail esc will give you a very well behaved micro heli.
You buy the bare-bones kit, add your receiver, servos, ESCs and Gyro, and have a heli that is so much more stable than the stock bird. I have flown with Piccoboards. I have flown with other all-in-one boards. I have flown with rate gyros, 3 different models of head hold gyros, and even with NO gyro.
Futaba GY240 (or GY401) is just the best for these helis. A bit heavy, so the 3 cell LiPo is the best match.
With brushless motors abounding these days, I would also consider going brushless main and tail, with 2 CC P10 ESCs.