Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

n00b gyro questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:38 AM
cudaboy_71
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b gyro questions

hi-

im a little confused about gyros with and without servos. i mean, i understand what a servo is for: controlling the tail pitch on a pinion/belt driven tail motor (right???)

and, a gyro without a servo would be used on a tail rotor that is BEC/DD motor driven (right???)

my main question is for gyros that come with servos. are the servos required by the gyro in order to work properly, or are they easily omitted from the setup when not needed by the tail?

for example: all of the setups using the GY401 with remote gain (that i've been able to find) show it connected to the servo. can remote gain be controlled on a DD tail? can the GY401 even be used on a DD tail?

thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Tanner Hall
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: n00b gyro questions

ORIGINAL: cudaboy_71

hi-

im a little confused about gyros with and without servos. i mean, i understand what a servo is for: controlling the tail pitch on a pinion/belt driven tail motor (right???)

and, a gyro without a servo would be used on a tail rotor that is BEC/DD motor driven (right???)

my main question is for gyros that come with servos. are the servos required by the gyro in order to work properly, or are they easily omitted from the setup when not needed by the tail?

for example: all of the setups using the GY401 with remote gain (that i've been able to find) show it connected to the servo. can remote gain be controlled on a DD tail? can the GY401 even be used on a DD tail?

thanks.
gyro/tail servo is used for a variable pitch tail setup. a gyro/ESC is used for a fixed pitch, variable speed tail (tail motor.) the servos are not required for the gyro unless you're talking about a futaba 502 or 601 (soon to be replaced by 611) the smaller gyros such as futaba 401, csm 560, etc. can use any tail servo although the 401 works best with the 9254 servo.

remote gain is used to adjust gyro sensitivity...it has nothing to do with servo or DD motor.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM
cudaboy_71

its starting to clear up for me

so, in my case i have a hummingbird elite CP with the dual DD upgrade. currently it has the cirrus MPG-6 gyro. if i were to get a GY240 or GY401 i would have no problem hooking it to my ESC and using the HH and/or remote gain settings (on the 401) because i have no servo driving the tail?

thanks again.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Tanner Hall

yes, you have a separate esc for the tail motor, right? the gyro will operate the tail esc the same way it would operate a servo. you can program HH or normal mode just fine, as well as remote gain.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM
cudaboy_71

well, right now its using the stock hummingbird mixer board which has separate outputs for both main motor and tail motor. im not sure if that's considered a dual ESC setup or not

but, should be sufficient for a HH gyro setup like i am proposing above? or will the gryo start straining the voltage?

im planning on doing a brushless upg to this in a few months. a CC35 w/ gov mode for the main motor. in this case i'd *HAVE* to have a separate ESC to run the two brushless tail motors, right?

dang, this thing is getting heavy.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Tanner Hall

yup, you got it. the mixing board has two esc's built in. i think a HH gyro would work fine but it may burn out your tail motor faster (it will be probably be spinning up the tail motor more often.)
Old 05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
cudaboy_71

thanks a bunch. that cleared up everything....except maybe my weight issues :/
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Tanner Hall

one thing i should have mentioned is that remote gain on the 401 requires a separate channel in your TX and RX. for futaba systems, gain usually runs though channel 5 and the main gyro input runs on channel 4. do you have a 6+ channel radio and RX?

sorry i'm not that familiar with the humingbird so i'm not sure how's it's usually setup.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
cudaboy_71

thanks for thinking of that. i just upgraded to a JR 9303...so i should be set. hoping this radio holds me for a while