Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Batteries for Thunderbird

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Batteries for Thunderbird

Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
QuietRiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries for Thunderbird

I just bought a Colco Thunderbird and it should come in a few days. I wanted to get more batteries though but don't know what would be the right choice for my heli. I am a super newbie with a bunch of questions on batteries.

1. Should I go with NiMH or LiIo?

2. It comes with a 9.6V NiMH and from other places I've been I guess it has 700mAH. I can get a 9.6V 2000mAH NiMH from here;
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=260
my question is, does the more mAH mean that the battery will last longer?

3. I would like to be able to fly my heli for awhile without changing batteries. Does anyone know of some good batteries that I can use. Do they have to be 9.6V NiMH or can I use a 7.2 or 11.5 LiIo? and does the amount of mAH matter?

4. Anyone know of good charger to charge the batteries too. The link above has chargers and batteries.

5. Please respond and try to answer all of my questions, especially about the mAH. Provide links to products if you can.

6. Oh yeah, is their a risk of overheating the motor if you use a battery with higher voltage or mAH?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Batteries for Thunderbird

You don't want to go with NiMH, they are to heavy. Lithium is the way to go. I'm using a Thunder Power 7.4 volt, 2100mah lithium in mine and it works great, I get about 20 minutes of flying time. The motor does get a little hot, but if you put a heat sink on it, you shouldn't have a problem.
For charging I use the Hobbico Qiuck field Charger MKII.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72963.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	301137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18322.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	301138