Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

NooB in distress

Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 PM
irishairwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NooB in distress

Hello guys, i'm hoping some1 out there will put me out of my misery and enlighten me about this subject.....
I've read a massive amount of forums regarding pitch curves, throttle curves and am still none the wiser, some even seem to contradict others.
What im looking for is a setup of -2 , +4 , +9 .... But i have no idea how to go about doing it ??
To achieve a low point of -2 would this mean i would have to set the throttle and trim in the lowest position and adjust blade pitch to -2 .If so then how do i get +4 and +9 ...I'm seriously confused and am tired of searching Google.
Could some1 tell me if i'm on the right track or have i got this completely wrong ??
From what i can tell by the manual, the throttle curve is set to, 0% ,50% ,100% ,and idle up gives 100% ,50% ,100%....does this sound right ?

Thanks in Advance

P.S... Its a honeybee cp2 that was supposedly RTF but it wasnt stable...I've centered and lowered the swashplate to give it full cyclic movement and am now stuck as to what to do next.The manual from E sky really sucks !!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:47 AM
irishairwolf

Default RE: NooB in distress

Come on guys !!!
There has to be some1 out there that can help ??
Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 AM
tippy

irishairwolf : What im looking for is a setup of -2 , +4 , +9 ....
tippy ... These are the pitch responses at 3 different stick positions. -2 is the low stick setting ergo it should be set WHEN the stick is at the low position. +4 is the mid-stick setting and should be set when the stick is at mid-stick. Typically for beginners, mid-stick also equates to Hover Pitch ... so you should be hovering near mid-stick. +9 is set when the stick is full up. This a typical 3 point curve. A 5 point curve would have additional settings at 1/4 stick and 3/4 stick.
irishairwolf : From what i can tell by the manual, the throttle curve is set to, 0% ,50% ,100% ,and idle up gives 100% ,50% ,100%....does this sound right ?
tippy ... 0,50,100 is reasonable throttle settings for normal pitch settings (-1,+4,+9) however 100,50,100 will need a slightly different pitch curve ... something like -8, 0, +8. Idle up is the advanced flight mode.
irishairwolf : There has to be some1 out there that can help ??
tippy : Be patient ... it's Sunday. They are either in church or going out to fly.
Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
irishairwolf

Tippy, Thanks very much..This is just what i needed.
I'm gonna tell ya the way i think i should set this up and maybe u could tell me if im right ?... Ok here goes,,

I disengage motors--put throttle stick and trim to lower position--plug in Tx and Heli--adjust pitch to -1.
Then with the power still on i move throttle to mid stick and adjust pitch to +4.
Then to full power and adjust to +9.... Is this the right way of doing it ?

And again, Thanks for taking the time to answer !!

Ps ..sorry for impatience but i think i've really caught the flying bug !! Its on my mind 24/7
Old 11-20-2005, 01:54 PM
irishairwolf

I have another, probably Dumb-Ass question...But,
When setting the blades up for different pitch angle's, is it just the pitch control link that i should be adjusting ?? Or does the swashplate need changing too ?

Im asking this because when i shorten the links all the way the blades only seem to be going to about 0 degrees...with both links shortened shouldnt i be getting a negative pitch ??

Thanks again !!! [&:]
Old 11-20-2005, 04:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Get you some of that fine Irish whiskey and seek out someone within a reasonable drive that flys helis and offer up some whiskey in exchange for some hands on help. It will be the best time/money you spend in this hobby.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:58 PM
irishairwolf

LMAO
No One gets there hands on my whiskey !!
I have tried to get local help but this hobby doesnt have a big following here...So i'm depending on these forum's to get me outta this hole
Old 11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: irishairwolf

I have another, probably Dumb-Ass question...But,
When setting the blades up for different pitch angle's, is it just the pitch control link that i should be adjusting ?? Or does the swashplate need changing too ?

Im asking this because when i shorten the links all the way the blades only seem to be going to about 0 degrees...with both links shortened shouldnt i be getting a negative pitch ??

Thanks again !!! [&:]
Unfortunately I'm not familar with the Honeybee or your swash config (ccpm type) or your TX capability so I won't be able to give any advise on which linkage to adjust. You'll have to wait for the Honeybee experts to chime in.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
irishairwolf

PLEEEEASE !!!!
If theres anybody out there that knows the correct procedure for setting pitch curve on any chopper..Plz Post it here !!!
I just wanna know where the throttle & trims should be when i'm changing pitch ??
And is it just the pitch control link that gets adjusted or swashplate aswell ?? Should swash be level with flybar ?
I'm completely new to this..I have a pitch gauge and know what pitch curve i want but am lost as to how to set it up []

Thanks in advance !!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM
chewbacchi

Irish...
Here's the deal. It sounds like you are adjusting the link every time you move from low pitch to mid pitch to high pitch. This will get you nowhere.
Find the servo arm position that will give you that kind of travel, -2 to +9 = 11 degrees of travel. Move the connection in the servo arm so you get 11 degrees of travel from low stick to high stick.
When that is dialed in nicely, THEN you change the length of the linkage only once so your low stick position falls on -2 degrees and your high stich falls on +9 degrees... Or as close as you can possibly get it.
Always make sure your swashplate is level mostly when adjusting ELEV and AILE. Collective usually doesn't change much with a slightly unlevel swashplate.
My biggest advice... TAKE YOUR TIME, TAKE PRIDE IN DOING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!
I just spent alot of time today adjusting my collective, elevator, ailerons, rudder, and programming my radio, and the smile I got when I knew I was learning and doing it tight is indescribable.
Salutations!

-Marc
Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 PM
irishairwolf

Great Stuff thanks marc !!!
I was adjusting the link everytime [:'(]
Thanks for the info i'll give it a bash now
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 AM
irishairwolf

Is it normal for the light on the gyro to go red when the throttle is in high position with the motor disengaged ??
It also goes red when idle up switch is on at low and high throttle with motor disengaged ??

Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 12:03 PM
irishairwolf

~~~ BUMP ~~~
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
wisdom-seeker

The gyro should not be responding to the collective stick. If it is, then you may have REVO mixing enabled in your transmitter. If your gyro is a heading-hold (HH) gyro, then you should have REVO mixing in your transmitter disabled.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:51 PM
irishairwolf

Ok... I finally test flew after some adjustments and to my Suprise it actually felt quite stable during a hover..(I was expecting the whole thing to fall apart midair But the only thing is, I need about 75-80% throttle to hover...I was hoping this would happen around mid stick ??
Any idea's on what i've done wrong ?

P.S... when a slight bit of throttle 80-85% is added during a hover it goes up.... FAST !!!! I'm thinking maybe my pitch angle's are way out or something
Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
wisdom-seeker

I need about 75-80% throttle to hover...I was hoping this would happen around mid stick ??
P.S... when a slight bit of throttle 80-85% is added during a hover it goes up.... FAST !!!! I'm thinking maybe my pitch angle's are way out or something
I believe that your suspicions are correct, that your pitch/throttle curves are out of balance. The hover at 80-85% either says that your pitch angle is too low, or your throttle is too low. When you add that you get a fast climb, it points to variable rotor speed. What I mean by this is that your rotor drag is too high at hover, but as you add motor, your rotor speeds up causing disproportionate lift. Did you use a pitch gauge to set your pitch curve? If so, was your flybar level while making the measurement? Was your collective stick in the position you were attempting to measure? Did you adjust the pitch curve point corresponding to the stick position? For the purposes of normal hover, is your throttle curve a straight line from 0 to 100%?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
irishairwolf

Thanks for the input Wisdom-seeker !!!
First time using a pitch gauge so they most likely are all off .... I'll go back and re-check...The manual says throttle curve is 0 - 100% and idle up gives it 100 , 50 , 100% ...I dont know if im able to adjust these...How are throttle curves adjusted ?? As far as i can make out its a very basic transmitter...

Again Many thanks for your time !