Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

fixed pitch vs. collective pitch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

fixed pitch vs. collective pitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 PM
makg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed pitch vs. collective pitch

whats the difference? thanks guys
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
derek533

Default RE: fixed pitch vs. collective pitch

To make it easy, in a fixed pitch heli, the blades stay the same shape and only the increase or decrease in throttle changes altitude. In a collective pitch heli, the blades can actually rotate up and down to provide lift in addition to increasing the throttle.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
iishort86

to tell you thr truth... i think a cp heli is a lot easier to fly than a fp. Just think about it... you have 3 servos working all at once to help the heli do what you want it to do while a fp only has 2. 3 is better than 2.. everyone learned that back in 1st grade right? ahha

but a cp is a lot harder to setup and trim out than a fp. I actually got help on my nr3d because it was a lot different to trim and stuff than my df4 fp heli. But once all the trimming was done and out of the way it flies A LOT better than my fp heli. A lot more smooth and easier to hover.

if you're looking into getting a heli I say go with a cheap cp heli like a blade cp, honey bee cp2, or the new venom night ranger 3d which is better than the bcp and cp2 combined. I've had friends that own all 3 and they think the nr3d is the best however it is also the hardest to fly since it's so quick and fast compared to bcp or cp2.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: derek533

To make it easy, in a fixed pitch heli, the blades stay the same shape and only the increase or decrease in throttle changes altitude. In a collective pitch heli, the blades can actually rotate up and down to provide lift in addition to increasing the throttle.
Pitch is the angle of attack of the blade. So a fixed pitch heli maintains the same pitch setting. In order to change your lift vector, you have to change the RPM of the rotor (via throttle control of the motor).

With a collective pitch, you change your lift vector by changing the angle of attack (pitch) of the blade. Since you want the lift control to be exclusively relative to pitch change, extra efforts are made to maintain a constant RPM. This is done by varying the power out of the motor (via throttle) as the load on the engine changes (via pitch change).

Collective pitch is a little more complicated than fixed pitch but is much more precise and flexible (can achieve negative pitch for inverted flying) than fixed pitch.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

The big disadvantage you will find with fixed pitch is when you lower the throttle enough to get the heli to decend and decide at the last minute thats a bad idea, increasing the throttle is fighting the inertia of the blades and by the time they come back up to a useable RPM the helicopter is fitted for a dustbuster.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:44 PM
wisdom-seeker

The biggest difference in my book is collective pitch can fly upside-down. Fixed pitch cannot.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Butuz

Well fixed pitch can fly upside down too! (just not for er...... very long)

Butuz