Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Random "tail wag"?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
hocpoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random "tail wag"?

I'm flying a Hawk Pro. I have a R127DF Rx, GY 401 gyro with 9253 servo, boom mounted, S-3151 digitals for everything else. I have a Futaba T6HX Tx. Okay, at first my gyro was doing really random things until I set channel 5 ATV to 50% on both normal and avcs mode. Now I can hover and the tail holds pretty nicely. BUT if I try to turn and do nose in, the heli will randomly start flipping out for a split second and then everything will be normal. It's like the gyro goes nuts for a second and then it is fine. What's up with that?
This is probably a seperate issue...but when I'm on the ground and I start my heli, I have to hold onto the blades afterward really good because it will randomly get a throttle burst (Just a very quick burst) and then it will go back to normal.

Hopefully I've posted enough details. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Chad
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
tippy

Default RE: Random "tail wag"?

ORIGINAL: hocpoc

I'm flying a Hawk Pro. I have a R127DF Rx, GY 401 gyro with 9253 servo, boom mounted, S-3151 digitals for everything else. I have a Futaba T6HX Tx. Okay, at first my gyro was doing really random things until I set channel 5 ATV to 50% on both normal and avcs mode. Now I can hover and the tail holds pretty nicely. BUT if I try to turn and do nose in, the heli will randomly start flipping out for a split second and then everything will be normal. It's like the gyro goes nuts for a second and then it is fine. What's up with that?
This is probably a seperate issue...but when I'm on the ground and I start my heli, I have to hold onto the blades afterward really good because it will randomly get a throttle burst (Just a very quick burst) and then it will go back to normal.

Hopefully I've posted enough details. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Chad
The gyro also responds to the signal coming from the RX on the rudder channel (4) and your throttle responds to the signal coming from the throttle channel (3). If the signal that the RX is corrupted, the servo responses will be corrupted ... random servo movements.
Although it's a good idea to ensure your gyro/setup is healthy ... other things can cause the random servo movement ... ie RX picking up interference, glitch in TX, TX antenna and heli antenna in line with each other, etc.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
hocpoc

Okay, thanks for the advice...but where do I start?

What do you mean by "TX antenna and heli antenna in line with each other"?

If you could, help me narrow it down...

1. Could it be my Tx setup? I can hover nicely which I assumed meant that it must be setup fairly well...but I get that random input sometimes. THe only thing I can think of doing it downing the gryo sensitivity...right now the ATV setting is 50%. I was thinking that maybe it was still over-reacting.
2. I have a spare Rx...should I swap that and give it a go?
3. My antenna was "strung" out in a wierd way...I'm redoing that. I can't see how that could make a difference.
4. I re-wrapped my Rx and put more foam and wrapping around it....and made sure all connections were tight.
5. What other specific things could I look for and try?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
tippy

hocpoc:: What do you mean by "TX antenna and heli antenna in line with each other"?
Point the tip the TX antenna at the heli. Assuming the RX antenna is some what parallel with the boom and the heli is oriented nose in or tail in ... then the antennas are in line with each other.
TX antenna signal is stonger to the side of the antenna ... the weakest signal is straight out from the tip.
Also the RX antenna is more sensitive to signals intersecting it's length rather than running along it's length.
So when you point your TX antenna at the heli and the heli is nose in or nose out, your are providing the weakest TX signal to the least sensitive orientation of the RX antenna. This is not all that bad if the heli is pretty close ... but when it gets farther away, the RX might be more susceptable to interference.
1. Could it be my Tx setup? I can hover nicely which I assumed meant that it must be setup fairly well...but I get that random input sometimes. The only thing I can think of doing it downing the gryo sensitivity...right now the ATV setting is 50%. I was thinking that maybe it was still over-reacting.
Is that 50% in each direction? Are you sure both directions of channel 5 is at 50%? or is one direction at 50% and the other still at 100% (default). You select the gyro mode by selecting whether it's at 50% up or 50% down. Make sure you are really in HH mode (steady light on gyro).
One other thing, the numbers are a little goofy using ATV as your settings (as opposed to using a gyro menu). Notice on pg 2 of the manual, the ATV setting needed to achieve 100% Gyro gain is 90%. So by setting an ATV of 50%, you have a gyro gain of around 55.5% (ie 50/90=55.555 or ATV/90= gyro gain).
2. I have a spare Rx...should I swap that and give it a go?
3. My antenna was "strung" out in a wierd way...I'm redoing that. I can't see how that could make a difference.
If you are in fact getting random "hits" from interference (whether heli, equipement, or something else generated) changing things might resolve the problem. If your antenna is "routed" close to a noisy part of the heli, then that "noise" can be bothering your reception.
[/quote]

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 AM
hocpoc

First of all, thanks for your suggestions. These forums are a big help to me since I try to "wing" it on my own mostly.

I just got this heli as I was flying a Concept VR before. Anyway, the antenna was the issue. I replaced the original setup with a whip antenna that I had and now I notice no interference at all. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:58 PM
RCer22

I replaced the original setup with a whip antenna that I had and now I notice no interference at all.
Then I would say it was an antenna routing issue.