Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
helifan06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

got a few minutes of forward flight at the field today. Saw a fellow flyer with a 450 size heli, his motor for iddle1 seems more powerful than mine. Just wondering if I setup my motor wrong or should I get a better motor like scorpion. I have a stock 430L from Align,

any advice?

helifan06;
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
drobin

Be careful with the scorpion. I have the 2221-6 and it was too much for me. Gives high head speed. I'm using wood blades so it's no good for them. I'm going to sell it as soon as I get an offer. The motor was only used once.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
helifan06

I got CF blades, $38 per set. It performs extremely good compared with wood blades. Got my TREX600 ESP today, should be on the USPS now.

I might have to sell my align motor to get the scorpion,

Helifan06;
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
drobin

You can pm me if you want it. I'm not planning on listing it anyplace.Besides, I owe you a favor for what you did for me.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
helifan06

I'm not sure yet. I've blown some cash by getting the TREX600. I saw a fellow flyer at the field with a Align 450M Brushless Motor(3500KV), and seems more powerful than my Align 430L. could be settings on my ESC?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
helifan06

Got my TREX600 build partially. I'm missing the servos. Guess have to save some $$. Will post pictures later. Finally, I've transitioned into nose in flight. It is chagelling at the begining, but very rewarding.

helifan out!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
owinfrey

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since my last post. I finally wiped the dust off the G2 and upgraded it to a brushless motor and ESC. I got the Alpha 400 and Volcano 30A. After installing and doing a manual setup. the tail rotor wags wildly at 50% throttle. I've adjusted the gyro to increase sensitivity with no change. Here are my settings: Brake=off, Battery Type=lipo, Cutoff mode=soft-cut, cutoff threshold=medium, start mode=super soft and timing=high.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
helifan06

Cannot believe how much $$ is needed to build the TREX600. ...
Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
helifan06

ORIGINAL: drobin

Be careful with the scorpion. I have the 2221-6 and it was too much for me. Gives high head speed. I'm using wood blades so it's no good for them. I'm going to sell it as soon as I get an offer. The motor was only used once.
Hey drobin,

do you still have this motor? Is this the 4400KV? My trex 450 has a 3550KV and it is not enough power for me. By the way, this last tuesday I had another crashed. My doubtful Thunder Power Battery died in mid air. I didn't notice any ESC warning. No major damages:

Flybar,
Lower frame,
Landing skid pipe
Bottom plate,

the canopy has some chips, and I don't like it. How much you want for the motor? Do you need to modify the mounting plate to fit this motor??

helifan06;
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
starcop

Hello Heli guys, Yeah, the Trex600 is a beast. The price at hobbykings is good though. I can't beleive the price of a 500 size heli, 79 dollars is great and the helicopter is nice. Fly's great, has lots of solid parts why go any other way! starcop
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
helifan06

Where you saw the 600 in hobbycity? It supposed to arrived on January 7th, haven't seen anything yet. Got my 3rd loop yesterday, no crashes. I guess once you go 3D you crash more often.

Just witness a 700 and 600 totalled crashed. $$$$
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
drobin

I can't find the 600 size at hobbycity (or hobbyking) ether. Going from the 450 to 500 size not that big of a jump for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
helifan06

450 and 600 they look alike. I like the design. I've never been a fan of 500 because I don't like the way it looks.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Toker41

hey guys, hope you can help me. Just bought a G2 used, and something is not right. Has a brushless Walker motor in it, but when I spool it up it struggles, sputters, and jumps around. If I keep trying it eventually will spin, and I can hover for a minute, and then it acts up again. Sound like the motor is giving out? What is a good inexpensive brushless motor that will drop right in this? What size pinion? I really just wanna drop a motor and go, and not have to set too much up. Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Heli_Flight

ORIGINAL: owinfrey

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since my last post. I finally wiped the dust off the G2 and upgraded it to a brushless motor and ESC. I got the Alpha 400 and Volcano 30A. After installing and doing a manual setup. the tail rotor wags wildly at 50% throttle. I've adjusted the gyro to increase sensitivity with no change. Here are my settings: Brake=off, Battery Type=lipo, Cutoff mode=soft-cut, cutoff threshold=medium, start mode=super soft and timing=high.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
This is a good point to start setting your gyro. Try backing off on the gyro sensitivity at small intervals,
do this till you see a decrease in tail wag. Full sensitivity can lead to over correction.

If this doesn't work your servo may be to slow to keep up with gyro corrections. A slow servo
will keep the gyro sending counter corrections for the lack of correct output by the servo and the cycle will continue.

Also insure your gyro and servo are compatible with one anothers digital, analog, and/or speed requirements.

Hope this helps,
Heli_Flight
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Heli_Flight

ORIGINAL: Toker41

hey guys, hope you can help me. Just bought a G2 used, and something is not right. Has a brushless Walker motor in it, but when I spool it up it struggles, sputters, and jumps around. If I keep trying it eventually will spin, and I can hover for a minute, and then it acts up again. Sound like the motor is giving out? What is a good inexpensive brushless motor that will drop right in this? What size pinion? I really just wanna drop a motor and go, and not have to set too much up. Any suggestions?
Hi bud, Just saw your post & went and checked out my setup.

My chopper is setup with:
[ul][*] Align Brushless Motor: 430XL[*] Align ESC: RCE BL35G, Specs: DC 5.5v-16.8v at 35A
[/ul]

I've been flying this setup and it's been very reliable.
Another trouble shoot is to check out your battery. If it is weak and/or at the end of its life cycle it will not out put the required power to lift beyond a low hover or level pitch.
I'd definitely change out the battery 1st, with a known fresh/new lipo and after this trouble shoot by changing out the motor with a compatible esc.

Let me know how it goes,
Heli_Flight [8D]
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM
helifan06

Hi,

I haven't post anything for a while, and I would like to let all fellow flyers that I'm going to give up flying 450 size helis. I've been flying this bird since I started in the hobby back in 2006. Now I can perform mild 3D and piroflips, and I had more mechanical failures than when I was learning how to hover. I've replace about 4 times the aileron servo because it failed in mid stunt. After the crash, I checked that link wasn't bent, and no stripped gears, yet the servo died.

After, repairing the bird, it only last 1 month before another mechanical failure. I guess, the micro servos are not designed to stand extreme flying.

I've spent over $500 in repairs for this little bird. So my advice is to stay away from it. It will cost you more in the long run...

Happy flying....

Helifan06,,
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Heli_Flight

Hi bud,

Nice to see your flying has progressed. You've been very loyal to this post, so much so that I actually remember reading of your 1st flying experiences.
helifan06 is right, this model will cost you more than the purchase of an Align or any top ranking Heli manufacture - over the course of your flying. That being said Walkera's new products have come along way since.

During the course of my learning curve into the hobby I started with this the Walkera 36 (G2). It was good while learning to hover and that is pretty much were it ended, unless you upgraded (and I don't mean simply adding cnc parts). Every aspect of the Heli was reworked from the frame (with a dremel) to changing out all the electronics. My 36 now is definitely a different Heli than the one I had started out with, while initially learning to fly. Part of the allure in maintaining this Heli was how can I tweak it to make it better. Its been mistaken for a trex.

Mid stream while flying the 36 after learning to hover I had purchased the Align 450SA. Buying a Heli that is better equipped at the onset of your entry into the hobby would definitely increase the rate of the learning cure. Once I had purchase the Align 450, I was no longer fighting the Heli to stay aloft. The Align flew as if it had some sort of auto stabilization system applied to the mechanics. The difference of the two models was night and day. I've since rebuilt the Align twice simply due to maintenance with over 300 successful flights logged.Even though I've only been doing mild 3d (loops and rolls etc), I had become over confident and during my last flight my Align impacted the ground. Considering the visual drama of the incursion, damage cost was low. The impact was not a straight in - but enough to require an extensive overhaul to ensure damaged parts were replaced and working parts were still in good order. The date of my last post was around the date of my last flight: 9/30/2010.

My Align needs the over haul and my 36 (G2) currently sits proudly now on a high self like a proud trophy. Just waiting to be flown - the 36 (G2) is sporting an Airwolf Fuse, led nav lights, hitec servos, futaba gyro, align motor/esc combo (just needs some soldering to reconnect plugs), and Airtronics 2.4ghz rx. I'm on vaca now and haven't been on one in two yrs. I can't wait to get my birds back in the sky and try one of those piroflips. ha ha.

I have an awesome scale looking 500 fuse for the Align 450 that I would like to install and try some 3d with the look of scale. So I will still be flying these birds into the coming yr as I haven't flown in a bit. The thought of selling to upgrade has crossed my mind and resale values are still good. But before I sell I'm catching the RC Heli bug again and need to fly! If anything I would sell the Align for good money and keep the 36 (G2) as my trophy. The rework to the frame is extensive and the effort has with it a sense of pride.

helifan06 how's that 600 Heli? I've been shopping around and saw a nice one a few weeks back for around the same price I had purchased my Align 450sa. So the 600 is what I've had my eyes on lately. I'm looking for a chopper that can carry a payload for fpv. Either this or a gasser but a used 600 seems more reasonable. The gasser could stay in flight for extended periods of time but an electric 600 is more affordable. A new adventure with an aerial perspective that FPV allows is in the works. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and with the advent of many competitive products, quality has been going up and affordablity is becoming more widespread.

FuN QUotes:
Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.
— Socrates

And some fun quotes from the Wrigte Bros:
More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.
— Wilbur Wright

The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport.
— Orville Wright

We learn from every pilot we fly with, every pilot we talk to. Thanks again to all who enjoy the thrill of flight and share the thrill.

Best Regards,
Heli_Flight
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM
conntaxman

Just got a exceed RC G2 and would like to know if the receiver which is 2.4gh will lock into my Spektrum DX6I . I only paid $20.00 for it,it was missing the main rotor blades and some links, ordered those already. I also have a Blade 400 ele, and a Hirobo shuddle Z Ni.gas.
next i want to get a 500size ele, dont know what make yet.Or the newer ones that run on GAS. [gassers]
tks for any info
Jonn