Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli Training Stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heli Training Stand

No -I- personally have never tired one but I have flown with people -MANY- that have.... or should I say tried to. I have asked a few people, I consider experts, to weigh in on this and the response I usually get is something like:

I hate to get in the middle of things but with flight simulators and heading hold gyros available today, the use of training stands has almost depleted.
I am not against stands 100%. Like the above poster that claimed he had a tail problem. Would being nice to be able to "safely" bring the helicopter under a load and look for a tail problem? SURE! But if you think you are gonna buy a $60 or $300 stand and actually learn to fly... I think you are gonna be sad. Will it give you the confidence to fly? Perhaps.

Here is another personal training story that happened yesterday. I worked with a newbie all afternoon. When the newbie got to the field he was like "it is too windy" so I said something like, "Hey if I do some some loops and rolls with my helicopter do you think, maybe, you might be able to handle freaking hovering yours?" (Tough Heli Love) So after my adventurous flight (it was windy as heck) I said, "You ready now?" He said yes and was standing a bit taller. Why? CONFIDENCE. He had been on the sim and knows he knows how to fly/hover. I give his radio, helicopter, and setup the once over then test hover his helicopter (50 sized nitro with training gear). I hand him his radio.

Sweaty palms and all he pops it up and starts hovering and is doing pretty good. I did "step back" a few times as I did not know him and have never seen him attempt to fly before. Plus it really was windy but... I was not gonna tell him that. Like most newbies he was trying to do "other stuff" and I would tell him, "NO, get the helicopter back -HERE- hovering in -ONE- spot if you are not able to do that. Land it. Go pick your helicopter up and bring it back over here."

(That also gives you a break because unless you are not a newbie, flying is VERY STRESSFUL)

I noticed his landings were hard and sloppy so I asked "Are you capable of landing that thing without bouncing it to the ground?" (More Tough Heli Love) He was like, "No not really" so I was like "Well then... that is what you should be working on!" So for 2 more tanks it was up-down up-down up-down. A few tanks later I even talked him in to hitting the throttle hold and doing a 2 foot auto. I was impressed with that! Once again I saw he had the ability to land and he just needed me to push him to do it. CONFIDENCE.

The point is no heli stand is going to teach you to land softly in the wind or keep you helicopter in one spot. No one crashed their helicopter, everyone had a good time, and was safe. He left the field having improved his flying 100% and probably with a lot more confidence too.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
helisafestuff
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: DebianDog

Alright Helisafestuff I will challenge you then. You send one of your stands over to Mike Mas (one of the first pilots to fly inverted) over at Rotory Magazine http://www.rotory.com/ and if he signs off on it and says it is a "good idea" I will be quiet about it. Fair enough?

REPLY:

Thank you, for the suggestion on how WE can satisfy YOUR disbelief, but this will not be necessary.

The Heli-Safe Training and Test Stand has already proven itself. This new generation of stands has a positive feedback of 96% on this site, and 100% on ebay. The one negative rating on this site was concerned about delivery time and never stated that the equipment did not work properly or as advertised.

Look at our latest documented feedback from a recent buyer and end-user:
"Your product saved my heli at least 40 times!!.....I can't thank you enough for all of the help."

The end-users have spoken, and adding one more opinion will not change the facts. You are already ignoring current and existing data, so why add to it?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 PM
DebianDog

I wish you luck in your endeavors but I can not support it. Sorry.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: helisafestuff

REPLY:

Thank you, for the suggestion on how WE can satisfy YOUR disbelief, but this will not be necessary.

The Heli-Safe Training and Test Stand has already proven itself. This new generation of stands has a positive feedback of 96% on this site, and 100% on ebay. The one negative rating on this site was concerned about delivery time and never stated that the equipment did not work properly or as advertised.

"Your product saved my heli at least 40 times!!.....I can't thank you enough for all of the help."

The end-users have spoken, and adding one more opinion will not change the facts. You are already ignoring current and existing data, so why add to it?
Which is to say, No, I am not going to send a sample to an industry export. I don't want a definitive answer to the viability of the tool I sell. Instead, I will stick to my vagaries and spam.

Unlike DebianDog, I have not worked with hundreds of newbies. I have only worked with about a single hundred. Of those, only one has purchased a stand. And it is still new-in-box, because the other, experienced pilots talked him into using a sim, and dowel training gear.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
elebouef

Unlike DebianDog, I have not worked with hundreds of newbies. I have only worked with about a single hundred. Of those, only one has purchased a stand. And it is still new-in-box, because the other, experienced pilots talked him into using a sim, and dowel training gear.
That seems to be the key on disliking the stand. The older experienced pilots who didn't have this stand are talking against it and never did use it to find out what it really does.
BTW, if he wants to sell it at a reduced price I will buy it for my grandson

Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
DebianDog

No the stand has always existed in one form or another. To Helisafestuff's credit, he is not ripping people off on the cost of it. It is certainly the cheapest I have seen
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Why I dont like training stands.
1. The idea of strapping a running heli seems to me as an open invitation for ground resonance problems.
2. A heli isn't going to fly like it will on the stand once its un tethered.
3. A good simulator is enough to give that "this is how it feels" confidence without the cost and other draw backs.
4. A beginner should do everything in thier power to seek out experienced help, a sim or training stand isn't going to teach you setup, tuning and most importantly SAFETY.

Why I could see it as a benefit.
1. If a person had no access to help and was going it on thier own (say they live in the Alaskan wilderness or whatever) then its better than tearing up a helicopter over and over till they figure out what they are doing.
2. Troubleshooting intermittent problems that occur in flight but could jepordize the model. This would of course be someone that knows what they are looking for and knows to back off the power if it starts resonating before it chops off the tail and explodes in place. (see Mythbusters episode for an exaggerated example)
Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Why I dont like training stands.
1. The idea of strapping a running heli seems to me as an open invitation for ground resonance problems.
2. A heli isn't going to fly like it will on the stand once its un tethered.
3. A good simulator is enough to give that "this is how it feels" confidence without the cost and other draw backs.
4. A beginner should do everything in thier power to seek out experienced help, a sim or training stand isn't going to teach you setup, tuning and most importantly SAFETY.

1. If a person had no access to help and was going it on thier own (say they live in the Alaskan wilderness or whatever) then its better than tearing up a helicopter over and over till they figure out what they are doing.
2. Troubleshooting intermittent problems that occur in flight but could jepordize the model. This would of course be someone that knows what they are looking for and knows to back off the power if it starts resonating before it chops off the tail and explodes in place. (see Mythbusters episode for an exaggerated example)
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

We never claimed that the stands were for everyone. But to claim that nobody needs them is simply not true. The beginner knows what he feels comfortable operating............only he can decide on his is own comform level.

The stands also provide for safe set-up and testing platform fuctions, yet the critics ignore this, only focusing on flight training. We need to keep an open mind on ALL the options and features of the training stands, and thereby realize the full potential of their use.

Expert advise? Look at Donald Trump today. He ignored "expert" advice and it worked for him.

If the end-user is happy with the product, then the product is meeting the end-user needs, and this is what really counts.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 PM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

I wish you luck in your endeavors but I can not support it. Sorry.
Reply:

Yes, I do understand. You cannot support our product/stands because you never tried one and your support would therefore be meaningless. The same arguement makes your opposition to the stands meaningless.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: helisafestuff

REPLY:

Which is to say, No, I am not going to send a sample to an industry export. I don't want a definitive answer to the viability of the tool I sell. Instead, I will stick to my vagaries and spam.

REPLY:

The end-user has spoken and approved..............that is all we need? The trainers were designed for them, not for experts to test. Maybe the experts are fearing for their positions.......being replace by new and better equipment......would not be the first time, would it?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
1ight

The end-user has spoken and approved..............that is all we need?
IF yours or any other stand was so usefull then we would defenetly see a lot more posts claiming how good there are. I think a heli stand can only be attractive to someone who has never flown a RC helicopter and has no idea about flight, setup and safety. I for one would be really affraid to stand beside a heli fully spooled up while its strapped to anything. If you have ever flown a heli you would know why. The only question is, will a begginer know ? (and what else will he do with it.....)

These are obvoiusly good points BUT, if you are trying to do it yourself (as many people have) then why would you ever want to do ANYTHING before you know what it will do ? Take starting your engine as an example. Do you know how to shut it off ? Do you know if the carb / servo is set up properly ? If you dont then even with a helicopter mounted on a stand, you're gonna have to change your underware or visit a hospital if you start it with the engine set at max rpm)
With today's wealth of information avialable to everyone, all you have to do is take your time and look for answers. You will most certainly find them. Again, no stand required.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
DebianDog

What is your helicopter background?

How did that background influence the design of this stand?

How accomplished of a pilot are now, using this stand as a learning tool?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
timothysplante

are their any vid of your unit in action
seeing is beleaving
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: timothysplante

are their any vid of your unit in action
seeing is beleaving
Hi,

Yes, there will be videos soon, and you can see for yourself that the equipment works very well.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

hey. ok here i am starting out with a colective pitch heli. i dont trust the training gear as far as i can throw it. send me a test stand and i'll prove to these guys that they do work.... mind you i had fixed pitch before this. but i would love to get a stand.... just to prove they work for newbs and such.....[8D]
Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
timothysplante

what is the difference between yours helisafe and the whiteman stand other than it having a gas shock and robus mount
realy would like to see one working .I see you have four differnt models one is restricted to a small circle in a cage . one is a table mount with pivet . one with table mount with out pivet mainly for set up. and last one with a longer arm for out side testing and flying
can yours go up as high as the witeman witch is four feet
if not can it be adjusted too go higher
can you use it on windy days to just fool around

[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: timothysplante

what is the difference between yours helisafe and the whiteman stand other than it having a gas shock and robus mount
realy would like to see one working .I see you have four differnt models one is restricted to a small circle in a cage . one is a table mount with pivet . one with table mount with out pivet mainly for set up. and last one with a longer arm for out side testing and flying
can yours go up as high as the witeman witch is four feet
if not can it be adjusted too go higher
can you use it on windy days to just fool around

[sm=drowning.gif]
REPLY:

Hi. Good question on your part!

The real big difference is found in two basic features: 1) namely that the boom type trainers are self balanced but adjustable to reduce the heli weight if desired (increases battery life for longer practice time), and 2) the heli is not bolted rigid to the entire stand, but sits on a "floating" skid holder. The cage type stands differ from the Whiteman Stand in that the heli is actually allowed to fly freely in the air while attached to the skid holder that can move around within the base of the trainer. You can fly, but you cannot fly away or break your blades. The Whiteman Stand offers none of these features.

The heli is bolted/tied rigid on the Whiteman Stand. On the Heli-Safe boom and the small test stands , the heli is attached to a floating skid holder that has freedom of movement in all directions, with or without the stand boom moving. This means that the heli is not "bolted" to the entire stand, but can move freely locally. It can turn, pitch, roll, rise, and spin around itself, all with virtually no resistance from the eqipment. It is a completely different approach to the Whiteman mounting. When experienced pilots say they would not "tie" their heli to anything, they are thinking the Whiteman Stand. We also would not tie our helis rigid to a stand, hence the Heli-Safe Trainers. These stands support and contain the heli, but do not "hold" it with a tight grip, if you can see the difference.

Our stands do not go 4 feet high. The higher you go the less functional movement there is on the stands, so what is the point?

Yes, you can use the stand in the wind, but helis get blown away easily, unless they are heavy, and have good electronics and a good pilot at the controls. In light winds you can get the feel of things much safer using the Heli-Safe stands vs the ball and stick gear.

Hope this all helps and makes some sense. The stands are an aid in learning to set up and fly helis. They are an aid, and the only way to actually learn to fly helis is to actually fly them, but this can be very costly for sure. The Heli-Safe stands can ease the cost and pain of learning, as many users have confirmed.

I can see why a video would help, and it will be available soon.

Thanks for asking your questions......
Old 02-16-2007, 11:32 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

so whats your responce to my responce on this topic?
ORIGINAL: NITRO_VEEDRIVER

hey. ok here i am starting out with a colective pitch heli. i dont trust the training gear as far as i can throw it. send me a test stand and i'll prove to these guys that they do work.... mind you i had fixed pitch before this. but i would love to get a stand.... just to prove they work for newbs and such.....[8D]
[]
Old 02-17-2007, 09:41 AM
helisafestuff

Hi Nitro Guy,

Thanks for your offer to try out the stand, but we have great feedback from users already. Just received a phone call the other day from a user who wanted to tell me personally how much he enjoyed using the stand. Seems he has crashed and destroyed 3 previous helis but now he is able to fly around using the stand, and is having fun for a change. He said his 6 year old could fly it too.

This is what we like to hear. It confirms that the equipment serves the purpose.

Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

well lets see i have had little experiance with heli's. as i siad before i owned 3 fp's and they turned me against them. i have just traded my Traxxas Nitro hawk stadium truck for the walkera df60. i have had more success in lift off in one day then i did with the fp's in 2 months. and thats without your product..... so now i must side with everyone else in this matter and say they are a waste of money. you wanna learn strapon some training gear and go.... its that easy.....[8D]

p.s i just had another success with the training gear on it.... so what does that tell ya.....[8D]
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
helisafestuff

well lets see i have had little experiance with heli's. as i siad before i owned 3 fp's and they turned me against them. i have just traded my Traxxas Nitro hawk stadium truck for the walkera df60. i have had more success in lift off in one day then i did with the fp's in 2 months. and thats without your product..... so now i must side with everyone else in this matter and say they are a waste of money. you wanna learn strapon some training gear and go.... its that easy.....[8D]

p.s i just had another success with the training gear on it.... so what does that tell ya.....[8D]

Reply:

All this says is that you don't need it. You cannot speak for, or measure, the needs of others.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:12 AM
helisafestuff

Reply:

All this says is that you don't need it. You cannot speak for, or measure, the needs of others.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:15 PM
wck3

.... must resist urge to post....
Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 PM
timothysplante

you guys can go round and round ,do, dont
but the whole reason for the stand is to get some time in. restricted yes
but its still time on the heli
Im stuck in snow and wind and dark country and cant always fly when I want, if at all
My flying space at home is very restricted
and yes Ive had many crashes .what did I do wrong that time?
I can already hover foward flight and have gone inverted for short hops
nothing to brag abought, I fly on g3.5 daily
while my three trexs, blade cp with brushless sit up in the rc room
I just want to fly!!!!!!!
if this thing works ,even stuck to a pivot it better than not flying at all
plus I could make sure all my setup is ok
as far as learning to hover there is nothing better than the real thing
any training device that helps get warmed up to it cant be all that bad, sim, stand,
training gear and four strings tied to bricks what ever it takes
keep an open mind
new is not always better but dont condem it with out giving it a chance
Old 02-18-2007, 01:01 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

heres a question for ya.... what did the so called old timers do to learn heli's? anyone? come on before any helping devices came out they did trial and error..... those that are scared of heli's shouldnt own one. its the same with planes. yes i have had those too. i was afraid of them when i first got into it. now i can fly no problems. thats without training gear or sims. i am now back into helis this time i have collective pitch wich in my mind is alot better then fp. and more sturdy. i too have no space in my house to actually pull it fully up and hover. so far i have it sothat my training gear is like just to say above the floor. my skids are about 4 inches above foor. and i am doin just fine learning this way. needless to say. if a 4 year old can fly them with no gear at all so can anyone else.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.