Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli Training Stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli Training Stand

I think if you would really like to do this you should make a new thread with a topic that conveys this intention, such as "alternate heli training techniques support" or "support for non-standard ways of learning heli's" or heli stand success stories and support". I think you would get a more positive response that way.

I'm not for or against the stand, but I do think it is alot of money for one that alot of people don't need. I also think that there are a few people that it really helps, and it helps them feel sucessful and more confidence with their bird. This hobby is all about opinions, and frankly some people are very opinionated (sometimes even so much that they will not listen to straight up facts, like lipo battery care). That's not really the point... the point is you read and figure out what you want to do, and then find the group of people that think the same way as you do, share stories and help out with that group, and have a blast doing it. All this arguing over opinions makes the hobby contentious and pushes new heli pilots away impo. It also makes it so you're not out having fun and sharing stories and helping, instead you're just arguing. Kudos if that's what whoever decides is fun for them, but I don't think that is the case here.

If you want to find a group that likes the stand and wants to share stories and support... make a title to match... The title that is currently on this one provokes opinion and controversy impo, and by the results so far. You could also make a title something like "heli training stand current/future users only - no naysaying opinions please" or something like that. I'm sure that someone can come up with something =)

ORIGINAL: rocman13

TKris, I was happy to see the results you had with the stand, and with the falcon 3d. I have heard a lot of "real heli" comments about the falcon, and now some "real heli pilot" comments about the stand... I belong to two rc clubs, and don't often fly at either because of elitist comments that in my experience, seem to abound in this hobby. I fly my fixed wing birds at a friends farm, and I hope to take my helis out there next week and get some stick time on them as well. I got a hula hoop and made some training gear as described in an earlier post, the stuff that came with my falcon seemed too small for a wanna-be with no natural abilities!! LOL!! The parts for my stand are in the mail, and I will let you know how it goes when they arrive.

Now, I hope that I can say this without upsetting anyone, but I think it would be nice to have a thread start with folks that actually use aids such as the stand, to provide support and encouragement for those that want to try them. But I fear that it would, as this one has, just become a platform for the comments of those who dislike them. I fully recognize the right of all to voice their opinion on this topic, and I do not mean to infer any offence, it just seems that the original point of the thread has been lost in said opinions... too bad...

Blessings to all,
Rock
Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ready to buy one but I decided that I would just take my time on the training gear.
5 weeks and i'm flying high and making big circles.
Vegas/
ORIGINAL: rcfreakazoid

Has anyone used one of these training/setup heli stands,if so what are your thoughts?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Bcolici

wow its been a while,forgot about this one,sorry guys,anyways i never did buy the stand went the RADDS way to learn and it works well was hovering on my own in a weeks time and now flying on my own having a blast.later
Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
thermal7

I Fly 2 Falcon 3Ds with CPD4 CoPilots. CPD4 is 70 bucks NEW from FMADIRECT.COM or KA-PLANES.COM I have 70 flights between my 2 Falcon 3Ds and a single crash. I started flying Heli's in March. This device will automatically keep your heli level and is good insurance. It really works for me. Another option to consider. CPD4 works only with CP heli's like the Falcon 3D. There is another model FS8 for CCPM heli's, Look into it. Its not for everyone but I sure love mine. I can fly now without them but leave them on with the sensitivity turned down in case I lose orientation. Good insurance in the name of technology.
Ralph
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
flyachopper1

Hello all,
I have read this entire thread and feel the need to say some things. First, I am an experienced heli pilot of over 12 years. I enjoy reading the beginners threads to see how many and what kind of people are getting involved in helicopters. I don't often post to them but this time I felt compelled. And, this may just turn out to be an "essay"! I have been flying nitros since the days of making your own repair parts because there weren't many available for sale. I am not a bit ashamed to admit I used a training stand with my very first heli (60 size GP Cricket Nitro). That stand was quite primitive and basic compared to what is available today, but, it served it's purpose. Especially for fine tuning set up. The gyros of that day were also primitive by todays standards (spinning wheels inside a box with separate adjustment module) and the old stand made it easier to set up the gyro than hovering/landing/tweaking over and over again. With the nitros (electrics weren't even being made then) it meant shutting down, adjusting, hooking up the big electric starter to a battery, cranking up the motor again, running back to the tx to hover for about 30 secs. Frustrating to say the least. Sure-sure-all you have gone the route you have been taught and preached to about by others in these forums and probably have hovered or flown a few times, but, that does not give you the expertise to put down an idea (the stands) that has been around a lot longer than most of you have been off your tricycles. If you don't need it, that's fine for you. You don't know that you may have saved a lot of money and stress if you had used a stand. You never tried so you JUST DON'T KNOW!!! You talk about all these pilots you know-etc.-etc. If you are all so experienced and "in the know" why are you posting on a "beginners" forum? I too, have tested, set up and flown helis using the training gear and hours of practice just as all of you have and had my share of crashes too. This is an accepted standard throughout the hobby. I am still convinced the stand I used in the past saved me from some of those crashes though and really take no pride in the bragging rights to a long list of repairs and expenses. I am going to seek info on these new stands and very possibly give one a try. I don't need to learn to fly at this stage, but I think it would simplify and shorten my set up time with new birds and that alone is a huge benefit. I would much rather set up and fine tune a bird in the comfort of my shop than outside risking the elements interferring crashing my bird and costing me even more time on the bench and money. Have any of you "experienced pilots" even read the other threads. Have you noticed the posts about strapping your heli to a lazy susan and using that to fine tune a set up? Some very experienced and famous pilots are known to do this. What makes more sense? A flat round surface or an engineered system that allows even more realistic movement? I'm sure some of you are going to post more hard headed refusals to flex on your opinions and that doesn't matter. You have a long way to go to reach the flying abilities and level of knowledge of some that have used the stands.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
helisafestuff
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: flyachopper1

Hello all,
I have read this entire thread and feel the need to say some things. First, I am an experienced heli pilot of over 12 years. I enjoy reading the beginners threads to see how many and what kind of people are getting involved in helicopters. I don't often post to them but this time I felt compelled. And, this may just turn out to be an "essay"! I have been flying nitros since the days of making your own repair parts because there weren't many available for sale. I am not a bit ashamed to admit I used a training stand with my very first heli (60 size GP Cricket Nitro). That stand was quite primitive and basic compared to what is available today, but, it served it's purpose. Especially for fine tuning set up. The gyros of that day were also primitive by todays standards (spinning wheels inside a box with separate adjustment module) and the old stand made it easier to set up the gyro than hovering/landing/tweaking over and over again. With the nitros (electrics weren't even being made then) it meant shutting down, adjusting, hooking up the big electric starter to a battery, cranking up the motor again, running back to the tx to hover for about 30 secs. Frustrating to say the least. Sure-sure-all you have gone the route you have been taught and preached to about by others in these forums and probably have hovered or flown a few times, but, that does not give you the expertise to put down an idea (the stands) that has been around a lot longer than most of you have been off your tricycles. If you don't need it, that's fine for you. You don't know that you may have saved a lot of money and stress if you had used a stand. You never tried so you JUST DON'T KNOW!!! You talk about all these pilots you know-etc.-etc. If you are all so experienced and "in the know" why are you posting on a "beginners" forum? I too, have tested, set up and flown helis using the training gear and hours of practice just as all of you have and had my share of crashes too. This is an accepted standard throughout the hobby. I am still convinced the stand I used in the past saved me from some of those crashes though and really take no pride in the bragging rights to a long list of repairs and expenses. I am going to seek info on these new stands and very possibly give one a try. I don't need to learn to fly at this stage, but I think it would simplify and shorten my set up time with new birds and that alone is a huge benefit. I would much rather set up and fine tune a bird in the comfort of my shop than outside risking the elements interferring crashing my bird and costing me even more time on the bench and money. Have any of you "experienced pilots" even read the other threads. Have you noticed the posts about strapping your heli to a lazy susan and using that to fine tune a set up? Some very experienced and famous pilots are known to do this. What makes more sense? A flat round surface or an engineered system that allows even more realistic movement? I'm sure some of you are going to post more hard headed refusals to flex on your opinions and that doesn't matter. You have a long way to go to reach the flying abilities and level of knowledge of some that have used the stands.
RESPONSE:

Thank you for your opinions and general reply to all the previous comments.. We have hundreds and hundreds of documented satisfied users of the various stands that will agree with you. It is nice to see that not everyone has their head stuck in the sand. Pride and the feelings of superiority of a few seem to dominate this forum. It is best for everyone to keep an open mind.

Thanks again,

Charles
helisafestuff

Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
CreativeFluxx

I understand the desire to practice with real equiptment, and as far gimmicks, crutches etc.< doesnt software simulation fall into the same catagory? Except in this case you actually get to use the real hardware in a safe environment, how much more could a beginner ask for?! So I say this stand sounds like a pretty good crutch, or as i like to refer to them tools which keep my money from needlessly being crunched. As long as all the motion of the helicopter has been well considered and planned for I'm gonna get myself one! Another benefit of this tool is the fact that it should give you more confidance when you remove the training wheels used in addition to flight software, you should soon surpass all who are locked into a particular paradigm (mode of thought) and who fear change, even when change is technological advancement
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
CreativeFluxx

Im gonna get one of these. Jump Start! tools are great erent they!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Airjunkie82

this hting looks so confusing, what does it even do? How heavy is it?

Ca na poor cx-2 even lift it lol?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Jack10525

Hey I scrolled through a few pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer. Where can I get one of these? I have tried rodds school of flight with out much success. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: Jack10525

Hey I scrolled through a few pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer. Where can I get one of these? I have tried rodds school of flight with out much success. Thanks.

Hello,

Have a look at the site www.helisafeproducts.com for information on the stands. The stands are selling around the world.

Have a great day!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
helisafestuff

I noticed that people are still reading the old forum discussions, so I am adding this link to a video posted by a user of the stand. Here you can see it in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqd47WY4XA
Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Mike SVOR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: helisafestuff

I noticed that people are still reading the old forum discussions, so I am adding this link to a video posted by a user of the stand. Here you can see it in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqd47WY4XA
That thing looks like it'll confuse new pilots more than helping them.
I'd buy this http://www.xheli.com/exrcflsitrki.html
before I'd buy that contraption.
At least the 20 dollar software will teach you how to fly.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
helisafestuff

ORIGINAL: Mike SVOR

That thing looks like it'll confuse new pilots more than helping them.
I'd buy this http://www.xheli.com/exrcflsitrki.html
before I'd buy that contraption.
At least the 20 dollar software will teach you how to fly.

Well, I watched my friends using the sims and they crashed and crashed, time after time.

You are wrong...sims do not "teach" you to fly...they offer control practice. Only flying the real thing will teach you to fly. If you can learn how to fly on the sims why do you need a training gear on your heli? Check some of the other posts in this forum. There are numerous guys that have tried the sims and Radd's school and still are having problems. I am sure more people have problems but do not want to admit it. We like to only promote success stories, don't we?

At least with the stand you operate a real helicopter, and without crashing and causing damage. It is just another option to consider and use.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
72Zeq1uu

I am a newbe was reading the posts did not know a stand was avalable.Dont think ill be runnning out to buy one,but if it works for you then its worth the cash.I have been doing LOTS of research on the tools,radio,heli theroy,i believe if you understand the beast its easyer to tame it.The hobby store has been a valuable resorse for info and good advise.love the hobby ill be back