Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Eflight G90 Gyro - Me or it?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Eflight G90 Gyro - Me or it?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
DarkSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflight G90 Gyro - Me or it?

So I have a relatively new T-Rex SA. It's working quite well. My only complaint it about the tail stability. I had a lot of trouble setting it up with my DX-6 transmitter but with some help from this forum got it to a reasonable state. My question basically surrounds whether or not I've topped out the gyro or whether I'm still not set up properly. Should I be able to shot up and down (in stunt mode) basically without tail input? Right now I need to be pretty well prepared to do any fast increase or decrease it pitch or I'm doomed. So would you suggest I'm still not set up optimally or is the G90 really not up to the job. I'm toying with the idea of getting the futaba gy 401. From what I hear that's the choice to make. I don't mind doing it but would really like to put a bit more effort into the G90 before I determine it just can't cut it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 AM
VinceHerman

Default RE: Eflight G90 Gyro - Me or it?

Hi Mike,
You won't be wrong in getting a GY401, but there are some other setup issues that can also cause the tail to mis-behave, especially on large collective moves like you describe.
Primarily, too much collective with too little head speed.
Many, many people have complained that the tail will not hold in full throttle climbouts. After making sure that the mechanical linkages are all friction free and that the servo has proper range of motion (full tail pitch slider movement without binding at the ends), the thing to do is tweak the pitch and throttle curves. You need higher head speed to give the tail rotor more authority. This is done by bumping down the pitch curve, and bumping up the throttle curve.
Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
Vince
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

When I was learning, I made a lot of very EXPENSIVE mistakes. I call them "expensive", because in the process of trying to save money, I ended up buying a particular part twice. First I bought the cheap part or component, Crashed the heli, and then I bought the appropriate part or component. Now over 15 years later, I can tell you that the old saying of "you get what you pay for" is especially true on the great hobby of RC.

I still try to keep the hobby under budget, but I know what to buy, and what to stay away from.

I'm not saying that the G90 is a bad gyro, but it might not be up to the task on a TRex 450.

Rafael
Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
DarkSkunk

Thanks for the notes. I'll look into the pitch and throttle curves. I'm pretty sure I've got the throttle going 100% in either direction. The pitch curve may not be full. I also have the Expo up a bit, but I believe expo ditches after the stunt switch is flipped. Maybe there are two expo's, I'll have to look into that.

I'm starting to think I may have a tail range of motion issue adding to the problem. The reason I mention is because I can't spin the helicopter two aggresively in either direction. I was estimating that perhaps I was not overcoming the gyro. Perhaps there is a larger issue. I definetly cannot swing the tail around fast. Its moderate at best even at full stick. Perhaps the gyro is trying but I'm torquing harder than the rotor can compensate. I'll go through the tail again (once I install a new landing gear due to a crash, although unrelated to this issue).

Thanks all.