Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Art-Tech Shark 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Art-Tech Shark 450

ORIGINAL: UfcGuy39

xodarap1 ,, I read your comment. Thanks. You seem to know quite a bit re: Appreciate that battery info.

Have a couple of questions. I am wondering about the canopy on your bird. I saw that you had ordered it custom, from the Co. you spoke about.

I am very Interested in Purchasing a Custom Canopy., as you can see that the Stock C. is kind of U G L Y., but passable for now.
I am not sure what Brand of canopy from his site fits the Shark. I visited the site., but am unsure. and @ what price?

As for parts,, are TREX parts compatible? I know that the frame is not. Blades., do you have any suggestions for adding Carbon Blades, "Quality, at a reasonable Price".
T-Trex parts are compatible..... 'cept for the frame. i read that somewhere else.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Demo Up

For what it's worth, along the subject of the ugly stock canopy (a canopy only a mother could love), I had the thought of trying to find some shark's mouth decals for that lower inlet under the chin, kind of like the AH-1 Cobra. Thought it might look cool. I calculated the scale size from the real one, and we're in the 1:22 range. So, maybe decals for a 1:32 would fit, if I can find any. Haven't found any yet, but there are a lot of sites out there selling decals. I'll keep you informed. Unless I can pick them up for under $10, it won't be worth it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
dodopilot

Frame parts are not compatible, so be careful not to strip your boom mounts, main gear bearing holders, motor frame, etc.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 PM
xodarap1

Rob, I got my li-po alarm here: http://customidea.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=102 I got more than one because it is small, full featured, has loud buzzer and is really simple to install (just solder the two leads to your esc deans, then find a spot to velcro the buzzer and board - done.

The shark will take a standard T-rex canopy. I took all the decals off my stock canopy (I like the looks much better than the stock blackhawk/pideon or king2 canopy) and its great for flying at dusk when the darker fiberglass one was hard to see. I also move that same stock white shark canopy over to my King2 and it fits fine there too.

Yeah, the frame parts do not look rex compatible, but I can have a bare bones shark kit (similar to the king2 bare bones kit) shipped out to me express mail and have it in a few days if needed. I'm hoping that the shark holds up at least as well as my king2 has. I have over 200 flights on the king2 and have never had to replace any type of bearings, gears or any frame parts.. and that's plastic. All I've had to replace have been ball links and ends, straighten feathering shaft, flybar, replace blades.. that's it!

Some of the spacers and screw hardware on the shark might be rex compatible.. again, I can't say cuz it's all still in one piece. If I do end up stripping anything on this frame, I'll just tap it and use standard hardware so I'm not worried about that. Plus, I plan to get a few of the parts for the heli that aren't rex compatible as soon as Rusty gets them in - which will be soon and I already know those parts will be less expensive than stock rex parts, so another plus in my book.

You gotta keep in mind that this heli is very new (just like when the falcon, or any other heli was first released) and as fast as he was is getting sharks in, they have been sold. I fully understand that it will take a while for a more solid parts supply line to be there.

My logic may be clouded, but my line of thinking was this: When my second shark gets here, for a grand total cost of only $830 shipped, I will have two complete RTF shark heli's with extra blade sets and other duplicate stuff, compared to one rex or other clone combo and some extra parts for nearly that same money.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
high flyer 777

I really like the Shark 450 & it looks like a steal for
everything that Art-Tech has built into this bird. Am
considering adding one to my hanger.
But would anyone be as so bold to compare the
Shark 450 up against a Trex 450?
One of the things I wondering is there really that
big of a quality diff. on the Trex, or is some of
the competition lifting up the bar & lowering their
prices to compete w/all the new heli's out there.
Welcome your opinions & insights.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
dodopilot

To be absolutely unbiased, the Shark that I got will not compare to a V2 or a Diablo. I have examined the V2 belonging to my brother-in-law and I also have 2 Diablos (I am selling one of them) waiting for servos and a gyro.

Just by looking at the head, you will right away notice a difference in the quality. A discerning eye will see subtle differences which some people are willing to pay more for. Don't get me wrong, I have spoiled my Shark with an AR7000 receiver and all the bling (well, forced to due to mishaps). I like the shark because it is RTF. For the money, I'll go for it anytime. But as you go along, you know, you kinda want to take on a new challenge and try your hand on something you can build. It is part of the hobby and learning process.

My .02.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
high flyer 777

dodopilot, thanks for the good comments. Still sounds like
the Shark 450 is a great deal on a RTF heli. In life you can
always move up I guess. From a Geo Metro to a Hummer and
everything in between.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM
dodopilot

In life you can
always move up I guess. From a Geo Metro to a Hummer and
everything in between.
That's another way of looking at it.

My GEO was a $35.00 RTF? micro heli from the mall. I still have it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
ginnz

can you guys tell me if the belt from a trex 450 will fit this thing as a replacement part??
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
dodopilot

It will. But before you buy an align belt, try ordering the maverik(?) from heliproz. I got one installed on mine right now and I've heard good things about it. Will see how it lasts.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM
UfcGuy39

Still waiting on my Shark 450,, Should be here any day now. Ordered from Goldrust,, Veejay Hobbies. Will hit up the forum again after it gets here. I have been brushing up on all of the Terminology for Rc Heli's. Man' there is a lot of stuff to get up to speed with. I found a site, that explains things pretty well.

Does anyone have a link that will put the parts with Pic's of 450 Size Helis? I plan on tearing the Shark apart, and putting it back together before taking it out. Just to get familiar with how everything is placed, adjusted, and etc.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
UfcGuy39

I forgot 1 thing. I'm looking for a Really good site for either Holographic decals, or Really good decals for my Replacement Canopy.
Ordered a 450 Trex canopy to take the place of the Shark Canopy. It is going to be Blue, with Black Smoke windshield.
Have browsed around the web, but haven't found anything that I have liked to add yet.??
Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 PM
high flyer 777

There's some canopys you could check out @ www.xmseller.com
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM
UfcGuy39

Thanks HiFlyer,,, did pick up a canopy from that site. I did not get the one with the decals, because I did not like them. I'm really looking for a good link for graphics. I want to put my own on the New Canopy.
I also hit the site that xodarap1 referred for canopys and skids. I just don't want the same Layout on the Canopy. I like Uniqeness to my stuff. I really like blue/black combos, but want the decals to stand out a little. I saw 1 site with flames, cool,, but not enough variety there either. Just looking for suggestions to browse through.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM
high flyer 777

Here's a site w/decals & precut vinyl paint masks.
www.parmapse.com
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 AM
ginnz

im going to pick up a pair of the billet skids from Ka-Planes that are meant for their blackhawk 450, i believe the screw holes are an 1/8" different, but ill make them work....

heres a pic.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
UfcGuy39

Received my Shark today... I really like this bird. It is very well built. I have already ordered a replacement set of skids. Trex skids 450,,, as I think I will destroy these plastics on the Shark. Canopy will be here shortly. "Cant wait"!
I am fighting with the Sim. though. The instructions for setting up the Art'tech sim. are very ,' lets say " Not very Informative"., but have messed with it for about 3 hours. I cannot get the settings right for the Calibrations. I believe the Art'Tech sim. is 4 channel., the controller is 6. I get the right stick set right, but cannot get the Left. I mess with it, and Throttle is left/right, and forward/back is jacked up.
Can someone give me the settings on this Controller in the Sim.??? Thanks, Rob.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 AM
ginnz

rob,

i tried using the efly100 TX that came with my shark 450 and the usb cable, but it would never calibrate also!, i "think" because its eccpm that it just wont work....i use my tx that i got with my falcon 3d with no problems.... BTW, i dont like FMS, so im using HeliSimRC, its just sooo much better.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
UfcGuy39

Ginnz,,, thank you for the reply. It is helpful that someone else has found this Sim to be useless with the Controller.

I will look up the other sims. Well appreciated.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM
xodarap1

Heres something you could try:

http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp

I found it browsing at the FMS forum. There may be other articles and fixes posted there. Have a look:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...pic.php?t=3828

To eliminate wear and tear on my flight TX, I got the USB Esky 0905A controller. It was only a few bucks and it works great with FMS, ClearView and RealFlight. And no batteries to change or re-charge..
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
ginnz

ORIGINAL: UfcGuy39

Ginnz,,, thank you for the reply. It is helpful that someone else has found this Sim to be useless with the Controller.

I will look up the other sims. Well appreciated.

well, i dont think the sim is to blame.... and the usb cable that it comes with is wayyy better then using a mono plug to the soundcard..... its that the radio itself is eccpm, i have a couple other radios here and they all work fine with all the sims i use, just the E-Fly 100 eccpm radio isnt working...... although, i havnt tried it in regular heli, or airplaine mode for that matter. that may make a difference. ;-)
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 AM
UfcGuy39

Well,,, I had enough with this D A Sym. ,, I messed with this thing for hours, and hours. Said the heck with it. Hooked up a Home Made pair of Training gear. Made from Hollow Brass Tubing., and Picked up some ping pong balls. I just said to He/ Double Hockey Stiks with it.

Set up the Heli, and heck, had this thing hovering in about 4 minutes. It is not as hard as I thought it would be. Can move the bird left/right, and back and forth. Feels good, since this simulator makes it seem so damn hard, even with Keyboard Control. Just had to vent there,,, sorry. Waiting on parts and good weather, and It will be awesome to get outside...
Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
UfcGuy39

After a little research,, picking up a different sim. I do realize that hover, and figure 8's are a bit easier, then nose in flight, and FFF . Definitely needed a day away from that sim. I believe I have some sense again. Keep seeing how valuable Sim. is, and yes, I dont want to crash and burn $500.00-$600.00
Has anyone else picked up a Shark 450 as of today? Like to hear from ya. My thanks goes out to everyone here for the Excellent help, and friendliness. Really goes a long way, helping out the new guys. I have found out that READING
with this hobby goes a long way also.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
smracer31

should have mine today, i need to go pick it up from fedex tonight. Im bummed to hear the controller doesn't work with the sims tho.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 AM
smracer31

how long did it take for your guys first charge on the battery? seems like its taking forever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.