Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need help picking first heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need help picking first heli

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
FishingSETX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking first heli

I know you have probably been asked this 1000's of times, but I would like to know what you recomend for a complete newbie. A buddy of mine just got an air hogs reflex and after flying it a few times (more crashing than flying), I want a heli. Im looking for something durable that has redily available parts and can be flown indoors (something small). Id prefer a price range of under $150 but might go higher if it is worth it. with all the options out there, im a little overwhelmed. I am willing to purchase it online as there isn't but one R/C shop around here. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 PM
lambofchet

Default RE: Need help picking first heli

I am in the same situation as you. I haven't really flown anything and for my first Heli I'm getting a Lama V4. My research told me that a coaxial is the way to start. I am sure somebody else will come along and give you some suggestions, I just wanted to suggest the v4.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 PM
FishingSETX

thanx for the reply. I'll look into the v4. I just dont want to get stuck with a $100 broken piece of junk.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Druss

the esky lama v3 or v4 are good choices. there are tons of places that carry parts and are fairly durable. the v3 is slightly more durable as it's landing gear is more sturdy and the tail is stiffer but it really comes down to looks.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 AM
FishingSETX

Thanks for the info. Im going to stop by my LHS tomorrow morning and see what they carry and their prices. Anything that I should know or anything to avoid? They are a locally owned R/C shop, but I dont want to get took! Any other models that could fit into my budget?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Druss

not for $150, the local hobby shop will probably carry the eflite blade cx/cx2 and/or the helimax EZ. Both are ok but all co-axials are basically the same. the CX2 would cost more than twice as much as the lama v4 with the only advantage being the radio. it's a better radio, 2.4ghz instead of fm which means no interference from other flyers but really you can't take these co-axials out to the field and 90% of the time you fly them indoors so who are you going to interfere with?

don't let them pressure you into buy something on the spot, esky is not available in local hobby shops and if you ask him about them he'll tell you they are not any good but i bet you he's never owned one or tried flying one (my experience).
Old 12-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Airjunkie82

Get a blade 400, you wont go wrong.

haha, cx-2 ore esky belt . Thats about all i would ever get.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
FishingSETX

thanks, im sitting here outside the LHS but the guy is out to lunch. Wont be back for another 30 mins. Maybe he'll have something. I really dont want to wait for shipping from hong kong so we'll see.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
McLrn227
My Feedback: (2)

my LHS had blade cx and cx2. the guy even recommended it to me. since i said i was new he threw in free spare upper and lower rotors. also, DO NOT forget to buy training gear. i dont even know how many times its saved me, and ive only flown it 3 times so far.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
FishingSETX

ok I went against my better judgement and got an Heli-max Axe EZ. It cost 169.00 which is more than I wanted to spend but oh well. One of the main reasons for my choice is that I can get parts locally (about 2 miles from my house). Maybe I made a bad decision but after looking at the reviews, it looks like a good heli. Price might have been a little high though.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
zachman092

I am new to this whole thing but i have buddy's into it and i told them i was thinking of gettin the BLADE CP PRO they just tried to talk to down to other thing's like the blade CX2. Id be glad to hear any feedback from others who have picked beginers.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Druss

The cp pro will be a very difficult first heli. It is very hard to fly and to set up properly. not that you can't do it but expect to crash a lot and spend at least the price of the heli on parts.

On the other hand the cx2 does not provide much help in flying a cp heli, it's just TOO stable. I personally suggest that you get a good sim and an fp heli to start if you want to skip the co-axial stage.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
ArcticCat500

ORIGINAL: Druss

The cp pro will be a very difficult first heli. It is very hard to fly and to set up properly. not that you can't do it but expect to crash a lot and spend at least the price of the heli on parts.

On the other hand the cx2 does not provide much help in flying a cp heli, it's just TOO stable. I personally suggest that you get a good sim and an fp heli to start if you want to skip the co-axial stage.
whats a good sim and whats a fp heli....sorry greenhorn here too.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
ArcticCat500

ohhh....let me say this...I traded a CP Pro for a Nitro buggy last summer...attempted to fly it twice.....after shattering parts everywhere...I replaced them and sold it on ebay....but Im interested in another one....but a beginer one...
Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 PM
FishingSETX

2 flights, 5' off ground and 2 crashes!! Im already starting to get hooked. Now all I need is a few spare batteries for more flight time! The 2 crashes were basically tip overs so no damage done!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: ArcticCat500

what i consider good sims are real flight g3.5/g4, phoenix sim or reflex xtr. they are all over $150 though. an fp is fixed pitch, so like a co-axial it generates lift by rotor speed whereas a collective pitch increases the pitch along with the rotor head speed.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Vistralan

well personally I went with a bcx2 (bought it earlier today) charged the battery and 2 min after it was charged broke my first upper blade set. Over the coarse of the next 20 min I learned to change alot of blades (5 upper 1 lower) and now also need to get a lower blade attachment thingie. unfortunately I live in a very small house (900sqft total) so the learning curve will be a little pricey but I think that the blade cx2 was the right choice due to the fact that none of the hobby shops around have even heard of the e-sky brand but they all carry the e- flight stuff. anyways like I said I'm a totally new to the hobby but that was what really influenced my purchace, hope it helps someone =)
Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Druss

making the decision based on what the local hobby store carries is not always the best choice. you could have gotten two esky lama v3 or v4 and some parts (including blades) for the price of one cx2. you wouldn't be grounded like you are now if you had.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i JUST got a walkera 5#6.

it is very complicated and compact, something you dont want as a beginner. it also is VERY touchy and will toilet bowl out of your controll without smooth thumbs. but because of it's size, you can hit walls, lamps, celing and yourself without causing any damage. the fly bar will almost always seperate and fly across the room. but all you need to do is snap it into place. so you lose stability but gain durability.

ushobbysupply and helicopter heven both sell these and are both nice guys. i'as got mine fo' 95 bucks!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
dutchalltheway

ORIGINAL: ArcticCat500

ARCTIC...I have the Aerofly Pro Deluxe...it is super...both for planes and helicopters...trust me on this one....
Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Druss

the aerofly pro deluxe is ok but not really that great forf beginners, the three I listed were rated the best three overall by rchelimag and realflight g3.5 was rated best for beginners.