Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What is the BEST begginer Heli???

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What is the BEST begginer Heli???

Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
stavman11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the BEST begginer Heli???

Ok looking to dive into the Heli hobby now. Have 9 Nitro Trucks, 3 electric Planes... Now I need a heli

Electric indoor and maybe outdoor if light wind

What to choose

venum?
Blade?

I owne a Hobby shop , mainly for supporting my Offroad RC Track, so have access to lots of Heli's

So help me out guys.... Sell me on a Heli

Stav
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Big Green Machine

Default RE: What is the BEST begginer Heli???

Best for indoor would probably be a Blade CX2. It flys really well indoors and comes with a cool spectrum radio. Its a good beginer heli and has an extremly high reslae value right now. Make sure you get the newest model that comes with the alloy upper head and the 3 in 1.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:19 PM
nuttcaze

Forget resale, if you own your own hobby shop, buy a couple and write it off as a business expense, store demo's, lol.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
stavman11

The Blade does look pretty sweet... Hmmmmm

Any other thoughts guys
Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
The_Shark

read up on colco lamas or e-skys

cheap, durable, nice flight.

im getting one or im going to get a direct chinese one (unfortunetly parts are unavailible)
Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
boldaker

CX2 electronics are not very stable but it is a good learner. I sure learned a lot. I wound up removing the spring from the rudder control just to keep it heading straight.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: boldaker

CX2 electronics are not very stable but it is a good learner. I sure learned a lot. I wound up removing the spring from the rudder control just to keep it heading straight.

Good Luck
that sounds more like a setup problem then an electronics problem.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
kenskid

I got a CX2 as my first heli. After about 20 recharges I can fly the hell out of it. To fly in any kind of wind you will have to move the push rods to the 2nd or 3rd servo holes. Otherwise this thing gets swept away by a breeze.

After moving the pushrods you have to be careful not to change direction very fast. If you slam the stick, the blades slap together. If you are flying high this can result in a loss of altitude or if blade breaks...a slam to the ground!

Parts are somewhat cheap also.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
cheech4

esky lama v4, enough said.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: cheech4

But arent the lama 3/4s just cheaper version of the blade cx? You don't get local parts support and you don't get the spectrum radio with the trainer/sim plug. Is there really any advantage besides price?

You are getting the idea anyway, CX is the way to go to start evn if you resell it. CX2s second hand on ebay are fetching about $160 and you can get them for $190 shipped. You do the math on that one and I don't think you will find a better value. even the CPPrO which costs about $40 more sells for less than the CX2 right now on Ebay second hand, go figure.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Big Green Machine

But arent the lama 3/4s just cheaper version of the blade cx? You don't get local parts support and you don't get the spectrum radio with the trainer/sim plug. Is there really any advantage besides price?

You are getting the idea anyway, CX is the way to go to start evn if you resell it. CX2s second hand on ebay are fetching about $160 and you can get them for $190 shipped. You do the math on that one and I don't think you will find a better value. even the CPPrO which costs about $40 more sells for less than the CX2 right now on Ebay second hand, go figure.
ya it's a cheaper version... what's your point? there is almost 100% parts compatibility (except for frame) between the lama v3/v4 and the blade cx so you still have local support (if you want it) and get a cheaper heli. and only the cx2 comes with the spectrum radio not the original cx.

you're right, the advantage is price... which i think is important to everyone.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: Druss

ya it's a cheaper version... what's your point? there is almost 100% parts compatibility (except for frame) between the lama v3/v4 and the blade cx so you still have local support (if you want it) and get a cheaper heli. and only the cx2 comes with the spectrum radio not the original cx.

you're right, the advantage is price... which i think is important to everyone.
My point? How can I have a point when I am asking a question? Whats your point?

Anyway, the original CX not coming with the spectrum is sort of besides any point being as it is obsolete. For only $30 less you would have to be pretty uninformed to buy the CX. But you are right the Lama is a pretty good value for what you get. Myself, I would rather have the far superior spectrum radio that if you plan on keeing the heli would be way better in the long run. And if you plan to eventually sell it, as I mentioned already, when you factor in the poor resale value of the lama compared to the CX2 price becomes kind of pointless as the CX2 will hold its value far better from what I have seen on the used market.

. Also, lastly I would rather support my LHS then some random basement seller on the internet. Everyone should try and support their LHS as much as possible, and when you are still learning it is nice to have some personal assistance when you need questions answered. ...Or you could buy the cheap chinese knock off, save a few bucks, get inferior electronics and help put your LHS out of business! Yay!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 AM
srouthouse

not worth fighting over a coax, your going to get bored with it quickly so why spend allot.

if you like heli,s you will get a CP heli one day, why not start out with a fixed pitch thats fun durable and cheap that will give you all the skills youll need to graduate to a good CP bird.

HBFP is a great first starter heli
Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Druss

Anyway, the original CX not coming with the spectrum is sort of besides any point being as it is obsolete. For only $30 less you would have to be pretty uninformed to buy the CX. But you are right the Lama is a pretty good value for what you get. Myself, I would rather have the far superior spectrum radio that if you plan on keeing the heli would be way better in the long run. And if you plan to eventually sell it, as I mentioned already, when you factor in the poor resale value of the lama compared to the CX2 price becomes kind of pointless as the CX2 will hold its value far better from what I have seen on the used market.

. Also, lastly I would rather support my LHS then some random basement seller on the internet. Everyone should try and support their LHS as much as possible, and when you are still learning it is nice to have some personal assistance when you need questions answered. ...Or you could buy the cheap chinese knock off, save a few bucks, get inferior electronics and help put your LHS out of business! Yay!
nice short term thinking there. all the major brands you're thinking of today started off as "chinese knockoffs" what do you think eflite is? made in the USA?

Align is an appliances manufacturer that saw a niche market they could enter...

btw, i'd put esky electronics up against eflite anyday. and seeing as i actually own both products that's coming from experience, what do you base your comments on?

I also do support my local hobby shop but I also like to get a good deal, especially on a trainer which will probably sit on the shelf after a few months.

resale value on a co-axial? are you joking? there is nothing better about the radio beyond the fact that it's 2.4ghz so you don't have to worry about frequency conflict with other flyers... oh wait what other flyers, most of these are flown indoors at ppls homes.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Big Green Machine

nice short term thinking there. all the major brands you're thinking of today started off as "chinese knockoffs" what do you think eflite is? made in the USA?

Align is an appliances manufacturer that saw a niche market they could enter...

btw, i'd put esky electronics up against eflite anyday. and seeing as i actually own both products that's coming from experience, what do you base your comments on?

I also do support my local hobby shop but I also like to get a good deal, especially on a trainer which will probably sit on the shelf after a few months.

resale value on a co-axial? are you joking? there is nothing better about the radio beyond the fact that it's 2.4ghz so you don't have to worry about frequency conflict with other flyers... oh wait what other flyers, most of these are flown indoors at ppls homes.
E-flite is not made in the USA, you're right, however they are based in Champaigne Il. and distributed threw local hobby shops owned by local people throughout our country and the USA.

I was not aware that the Blade Cx was a knock off. Which Micro Coax RC heli is it an exact copy of where the parts are interchangeable?

Resale value of a stock CX2 on Ebay is between $140-$160 (depending on the day of the week, complete with no extras. They can be bought for $189 shipped new on the saem site.

The DSM radio offers more than just no interferance with other helis and no crystals to worry about. The range is somewhere around 3000 feet, and in the newest models the reciever is a sepereate unit allowing you to use it in another heli, say a FP. Oh and it is 5 channel not 4, complete with a trainer switch. And of course it uses 4 batteries and not 8, along with having an antenae that is 4 inches and not 4 feet. Plus it is more precise than FM.

But I hear you, groceries are cheaper at Walmart too!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
ABproductions

well im a beginner and tbh i find the Esky honeybee LiPo or honeybee belt good to fly with, $100 - $300. depends on what type theres LiPo / king / king 2 / Belt.

plus the extra package is brill wit the case and spair battery / simulater / blades and much more tbh...

well its up to you really.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Druss

The DSM radio offers more than just no interferance with other helis and no crystals to worry about. The range is somewhere around 3000 feet, and in the newest models the reciever is a sepereate unit allowing you to use it in another heli, say a FP. Oh and it is 5 channel not 4, complete with a trainer switch. And of course it uses 4 batteries and not 8, along with having an antenae that is 4 inches and not 4 feet. Plus it is more precise than FM.

Sorry, didn't want to get into an arguement, just wanted to provide some options. It is upsetting though when someone degrades a product without even trying it first.

I don't believe that the original DSM system has that range (especially when it only uses 6v of power), I have the full range DSM2 DX7 and knowing that the system used on the CX2 is not full range I don't know how it could achieve the range of 3000'. Also, you would lose sight of it's orientation at 100' so the range or precision (not doing F3C flying here) for a co-axial is moot. Having a lot of extras is nice, but not when you have to pay for them and they don't provide any practical benefit.

I agree that the smaller antenna is nice though.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Big Green Machine

Sorry, didn't want to get into an arguement, just wanted to provide some options. It is upsetting though when someone degrades a product without even trying it first.

I don't believe that the original DSM system has that range (especially when it only uses 6v of power), I have the full range DSM2 DX7 and knowing that the system used on the CX2 is not full range I don't know how it could achieve the range of 3000'. Also, you would lose sight of it's orientation at 100' so the range or precision (not doing F3C flying here) for a co-axial is moot. Having a lot of extras is nice, but not when you have to pay for them and they don't provide any practical benefit.

I agree that the smaller antenna is nice though.
Not an argument, a spirited discussion.

You're right, I don't own a Lama despite the fact that I could have bought one locally on my craigslist as a guy has made it his part time job to distribute them locally on there. I choose the CX2 because I wanted the heli that started the trend and the one that came with the best possible features and local support from my hobby shop run by the guys that I apreciate for helping me in the hobby. Also, if you go to the E-flite website (or the 50 page manual) you will notice a support phone number staffed by people also more than willing to help you with any and all of your problems, located at the horizon hobbies headquaters staffed by many, many more people from engineers to janitors. Does Esky even have a website?

There is no argument that the ESKY is a great value, but not everything you get when you pay for something is listed on the box. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
cheech4

IMO having a 2.4 ghz radio for a indoor heli is a waste, any good FM radio is fine for indoor use. which is why i think the lama v4 is a better buy over the blade cx2.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Big Green Machine

IMO having a 2.4 ghz radio for a indoor heli is a waste, any good FM radio is fine for indoor use. which is why i think the lama v4 is a better buy over the blade cx2.

Well I fly mine outdoors as well as indoors so its great. I can't even fly my original CX freq. 72.870 at the same time as my CP Pro radio is on at 72.830. They both glitch horribly and make simultaneus flight impossible. [:@] I guess some people don't mind the inconvenience. To me money is less important then functionality. I like nice things and the spectrum radio is the future of RCing (see blade 400, or even the new Mini LST2), not ancient FM technology. Even just looking at the ESKY remote, which I think they sell seperately for what $20? and its big plastic handle on the back and plastic neck strap shackle makes me cringe. And, again, the spectrum radio can be used in another 5 channel heli of your choice due to the removeable reciever.

I also get to enjoy not having to worry about; hitting the huge, always in the way antennae with the blades in my small apartment or putting someones eye out with it while i am demoing them the heli, worrying about FM interferance in my apartment building (which was horrible with my original CX BTW it glitched alot whereas the CX2 has never glitched once yet here), or where to find an extra 4 AA batteries.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Druss

I think we're getting to the point where we all know the pros and cons of each. To some the more than double cost of the cx2 is worth it, to others it isn't. If someone is on a budget then I'll always recommend the esky, if they aren't on a budget and want the advantages of the cx2 then go for it.

I almost always find that budget is a leading factor in a heli purchase, anyone who comes on here and says different doesn't knonw how expensive they can get.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 AM
SuperBee364

I have both the lama and the blade cx2. The Lama V4 is MUCH easier to fly than the Blade CX2. If you're looking for the easiest to fly helicopter there is, look no further than the Lama. It's half the price of the Blade, too.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
bensidus197217

I just got a megatech housefly I after 8 flights I can manouver that thing around a small room and pinpoint landings. These heli's also have all parts availability. I like it and believe me I am the worst pilot I know, I got frustrated with a glider and power pod I couldn't fly that thing to save my life and it apparently is the easiest glider there is. Anyway what do I know I'm just relating my own experience.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
srouthouse

HBFP is the #1 best starter heli hands down. cheap to wreck. can get good on it easily. will get you used to cp helis. you will not get bored with it like a coax.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
cornj
My Feedback: (25)

I second what srouthouse recommends HBFP, I looked at a lot of threads, number one starter heli HBFP, just bought one about an hour ago.
Hope this helps
tony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.