Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Honey Bee FP won't fly!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

HELP!! Honey Bee FP won't fly!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
nuttcaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! Honey Bee FP won't fly!!

I know that "problem" still getting used to it, its all in the controls, hard, for me at least, anything tail in is easy though
Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
rparn2
My Feedback: (11)

[:@] Got the cyclic arm moved that does help a lot got a good hover going then got brave crashed broke the top arm that holds the blades. Crashed my eagle 50 also waiting on a tailboom and gear. It's back to waiting on parts I guess it is back to clearview for more practice there but it is not the same keep it in the air.Thanks for all the post I learn a lot from all of you maybe I can help someone soon when I figure this thing out myself.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said in my post, I spent 2 hours screwing around trying to figure out how to put together/ install the Super Skids. The heli is flimsy and you need to be careful not to break/hurt anything, so, it takes a while. The skids are beefier, but you have to remove the body every time you change batteries. Moving the battery forward more with the new skids is better. I'll have to try changing the link as nuttcaze did.
I've been trying to just get light on the skids and not going too high. I can move it forward, turn the tail around and come back, but only with it light on the skids. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to move left or right as if I wanted to stay in a tight square. Instead of moving sideways, it just wants to tip over.[]
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 AM
nuttcaze

I didn't bother with a 2x2ft square, my opiniopn was its a waste of time, not that it doesnt work, many people have used Radds with great success, by staying in the whole box thing, but for me I used a big rom with hardwood floors, so that I could slide it around as I got used to the controls, and boy did I need alot of room for that, but in the end it helped me way more then a 2x2 box would have, that would've been frusrating for me to stay in such a small area and would have discouraged me even more, instead I was able to get used to the controls and eventuall dial everything in and now I can hover anywhere I want with no probs (till I try tail out ) If you can I would try that, but the floor has to be clean and hard for the heli to slide, otherwise it'll just tip over and hit the blades and flybar, but if you take it easy (by keeping it light on the skids and always shutting throttle off when it starts to tip) I feel you'll crash less as you will have time to compensate for the movements of the heli when close to the ground. Squares suck[sm=thumbs_down.gif], lol
Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM
kodak_jack

For anybody having access to shop tools, I used a #53 drill to open up the hole to move the link in by one hole - like nuttcaze did. The thumb tack didn't quite do it.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
rparn2

I heated a large paper clip and stuck it through the holoe same size as servo arm it worked great. Waiting on a center hub to test the move hopefully I will not need any more parts going to get me a couple of bare bones like nuttcaze did as soon as they come in Happy flying all Rick
Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 PM
kodak_jack

Have you had any luck flying in the sim?
I didn't see much of a difference in moving the link by one hole (?).
How much time did you spend on set up?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 AM
rparn2

I think the sim helps you get use to the sticks and how touchy the are but it is nothing like the real thing. As far as setup I got it balanced fairly well but still not sure if the gain and pot is right can not hover long enough to attempt adjusting it. I have worked on setup for a week or so now. Keep reading and trying different things. One post I read said move the weights on flybar as close to the center hub as possible makes helicopter more stable and responsive I am going to give it a try. when I get my Center Hub and helicopter put back together. Going broke buying parts. I have been practicing Radd's on the sim some to boring to do it very long. Happy Flying Rick
Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 AM
nuttcaze

Alot of luck on Aerofly, if it wasn't for that program I'd still be trying to figure out what the sticks do.
Did you fly it before moving the link? it makes it a little more docile by moving it in.
Almost no time on my set-up, pretty much took it out of the box and flew it, although when I did balance it, Holy Sh*t what a difference, still glad I learned to fly it messed up, makes flying it when everything is set up sooooo much easier.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
nuttcaze

Yessssssss, BPHobbies just emailed me as to why they are out of stock on the HBFP kits, E-Sky delayed theire order to include new products, like the *NEW* 2.4 Ghz systems, but in 3-4 weeks they'll get more, w00t. Gives me time to save some more money, just spent $600 on 2 computers last night, I am def getting at least 3 kits, yeah go HBFP
Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
kodak_jack

What set up stuff did you do and where was your info to do it from? If the blades are separate and not on a hub that lends itself to balancing, did you do anything with them? What other tweaks did you do? I could be wrong, but it seems every time I power it up, it reacts differently for me. I'm doing the light on the skids routine in my basement rec room that has carpeting. I get it to the point where it'll just skim along the carpet, but I can't go very far. Is there something that talks about the blade angle and the paddles angle? I'll try to move the flybar weights in, if I can find an Allen wrench that'll fit.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
nuttcaze

I think there are really only 3 things to worry about, moving the linkage in 1 hole on left\right cyclic, balancing the heli (I tried all kinds of ways to move the battery forward, and was never happy with how the battery sat, or was hard to change, so I took a small strip of metal strapping and folded it over and over flat [link=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/nuttcaze/heli/Picture30.jpg]click here[/link] and then used 2 pieces of double sides tape that comes with the kit and stuck it under the 4in1, I know I'll crash a few frames way before I get a LiPo battery so no need to worry about that and I use the stock skids, was gonna buy the SuperSkids but really didn't need them except they look cool, but I'll save my 20 for now), and the 3rd thing would be to do the head stiffening mod where you reinforce the rotor head. I don't have a link for that one though. And I guess a forth thing to do would be to balance the blades and make sure they track well, but if you crash a few times it'll all be messed up anagin anyways, I just flew and flew no matter how bad\unbalanced it got (from crashing), till it wouldn't take anymore, got a new ARTF kit for it, did the 3 things I mentioned and in 2 weeks its only hit the ground ONCE, after being able to control it when it was bad makes controlling it when its good a breeze, but I also had PLENTY of room to fly it in by myself, that was a huge help too.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
rparn2

I found the info on moving the weights here [link=http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/first-proper-flight-tips-and-advice-t16901.html]Flight info[/link] There is a list of 14 tips and setup techniques on this post. I learned a little from it not sure as if any works yet waiting on parts should be here thursday. I am glad BPHobies is get there kits soon plan on ordering a couple my self that a great price beats buying parts all the time Happy flying Rick
Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 PM
rparn2

I found the site for blade stiffening [link=http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/index.php?title=HoneyBeeFP#Frequently_Asked_Questi ons]click here[/link] Hope this helps someone happy flying Rick
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
nuttcaze

I've been taking it easy with my HBFP till the kits come in, I just can't justify spending any money on individual parts anymore. I was gonna get a couple new parts to put my original HBFP back together to have as a spare, but it costs more then the kit ands thats only for a few parts. Its cool cause as far as I know they ([link=http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=W262062]BPHobbies[/link]) are the only ones that carry an ARTF for the HBFP. I can wait though, well worth it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
rparn2

[8D] Beefed up my rotor head with a broke one I had laying around also wraped thread around the knobs the push rods clip to then applied CA glue heavily. Trying to stop some breaking of parts. I wish thursday would get here waiting on center hub. I wish the would make this parts a little stronger out of metal of some kind. I sure will be glad when [link=http://www.BPhobbies.com]BPHobbies[/link] gets in the airframes. I going to get a couple crash dumbie here. Has anyone tried moving the clips on the upper swash plate to the long arms read it [link=http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/index.php?title=HoneyBeeFP#Using_the_longer_arms_o n_the_swash_plate]here[/link]. It is suppose to make the cyclic more responsive. Think I will give it a try. Happy flying Rick
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
KezzerOne

So I decided to take the little piece of **** outside to give me some more space.... you know, to compensate for errors.... It wasn't windy or anything, I had training gear on, spent HOURS doing what I thought was making sure it was balanced and level and had the proper CG and all that BS....

Went airborne.... lost control.... crashed. The whole ordeal lasted about 4 sec. Busted the center hub. Good thing I put an order in earlier in the week for 3 of them. If I break something, I buy 2 or 3 of them now....

It seems like the thing will not stay stable in the air.... It seems like it wants to go everywhere on its own.... *sigh
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
nuttcaze

ohh man thats sucks KezzerOne, me on the other hand (you guys are gonna hate me) but I was able to maintain a good tail out hover for about 4 mins, was sooo happy, it took alot trying to be able to get it turned around in a controlled hover, that was the hardest part, once I got it turned around, my simulator reflexes kicked in big time (another benifit from using the Picolo? FP helicopter in Aerofly Pro to learn on first), remembered the controls what to expect and everything, it made my day, still haven't had any major crashes with the new airframe, mainly I run/slide into walls where I practice, I'll be trying to get it turn tail out and it starts pitching to the floor little throttle it comes in for a smooth landing except its all hardwood floors and my little HBFP will slide from one side of the room to the other side and hit the wall, no damage (yet) except its a little off balance but it kinda was before. Thats why I don't bother to balance my blades, I tend to bump into alot of walls[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
kodak_jack

I decided to get risky and started taking it up higher. It performs and responds completely different in the air. I kept crashing and doing it over. My problem was that it wanted to fly backward all the time, even when I kept adjusting the trims. I eventually crashed and broke one of those little ball links. Everybody is out except a guy on Ebay. The links are $1.50 and shipping is $6 !!!!!!! Typical. I bought 2 packages - gotta have spares. Anybody with a little shop experience should be able to make these things out of aluminum and sell them (hint, hint). Either that or you spend 1/2 the price of the heli for a whole aluminum head AND the same price for shipping and handling!! I bought my heli from Ka and he charges for shipping based on the amount you spend. The more you spend, the more you pay. Isn't that going in the wrong direction? Shouldn't it be the more you spend the more of a break you get? Well, I made it 5 days before I broke anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
nuttcaze

so its not just me, I thought it was a little off too, the shipping from KA. Good guy, good service, shipping is weird, oh well I'm ordering from BPHobbies from now on, as most as I can, 1 day shipping,w00t
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
rparn2

Sounds like both of you are making a lot of progress glad to hear you are getting the hang of it. My parts will be here tomorrow hope to have some success stories of my own been practicing on clearview. with the hpfb that is in the sticky. Good luck and happy flying Rick
Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
kodak_jack

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never said I was making progress, just that I was taking more risks - and now paying for them. There is no comparison between the way this thing acts light on the skids as opposed to in the air.
I'm wondering if it was always flying backwards because that link was broken or if it's something else. I'll have to wait for my parts and see what happens when I try again.
There are people who tell you not to bother with the sims because they aren't realistic, well, I can't fly the darned thing, so, I guess I'll just have to do the real thing. I'm beginning to think this is like riding a bike. Once you've got it, there's no thinking about it anymore, you just do it. Until you reach that point, there will be MANY cuts and bruises and scrapes.
I bought mine based on NOT flying in the house. Well, until the weather gets better and I can fly it outside, I don't have a lot of room to do much of anything with it. If it could hover at about the 1 or 2 foot level that would be great, but I'm not there and crash a lot. The only consolation is that it crashes on a carpet and usually comes out okay.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 PM
KezzerOne

I feel your pain Kodak! I live in downtown Boston, so it's not like I can just step into my backyard to practice on a windless day. My apartment isn't really big enough to allow any recovery from a mistake before smashing into something. Anyway, since my last crash, that I talked about above, I have not touched the thing..... Still busted to be honest. Just too damn discouraged.

One thing I would like to try is putting the vertical tail fin from a King on my HoneyBee. It seems much more sturdy and I think I have read about people doing it. Anybody have any idea if this is possible??
Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
rparn2

I got a tail fin simular to the one on king with my super skids also a pic of my upgrade on my main roto I took a broke roter head and cut the ball links off and mounted it on to of the new one makes it stiffer. Happy flying Rick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11864.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	859490   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43233.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	859491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38848.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	859492  
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 AM
kodak_jack

Well, I suppose you can accomplish a couple of things with one purchase. The Super Skids also stiffens the tail with two rods that extend from the rear skid support back to the tail. They also give you a real tail fin rather than a piece of plastic that's taped to a rod I never tried flying with the wimpy landing gear that comes with the heli. I don't see how it would last. The skids are a good 1/4" aluminum tubing, not 1/16" plastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.