Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

how to start learning to fly

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

how to start learning to fly

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
kzimmerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to start learning to fly

I have been active in rc for about 18yrs, and have recently become interested in helis. I have a blade cp, with training gear, and have not been succesful in flying it yet. Any pointers on how to go about learning to fly it. There are no clubs in my area, i'm on my own. I realize that this heli is not a great beginner heli, I have flown the blade cx2 some, was sucesful with that. But I can't seem to control the cp at all. Any hints?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
elebouef

Default RE: how to start learning to fly

Go here and do what he says: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Druss

ya, radds is a good way to start. A sim will also help a lot, if you have real flight the axe cp is pretty much a clone of the blade cp.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
nuttcaze

If you haven't tried using a sim well, "Have Fun", I thought flying helis would be easy for me, an avid gamer as well as understanding the concept of helis and their movements, boy was I wrong, this is VERY hard, but use a sim and practice, practice and you'll be airborne soon enough
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
jaketrouble

you say there are no clubs in your area?? i bet there is... try going here,, enter your zip code.. the same page will come back up.. scroll down a bit and you will see probably several clubs in your area all within 25 [edit below] miles or so.. jake

[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

well i just checked and you are sorta right. the closet one to you is about 33 miles away.. then there are a few around 50 miles from you.. when i got started i had the same problem as you. then mike from ushobbysupply.com who lives in tacoma park,md invited me to his house to help.. he lives 35 miles from me..

but i tell ya what,,, the trip was well worth it.. he taught me a lot.. if you can't get the hang of it ,,it might be worth the drive...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
cactus hopper

The most important thing is not trying to learn in too small a space. You'll never learn how to hover if you try and do it in an 8X8 area.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Speedfrek

You can learn in an 8X8 area just plan on buying a bunch of blades... That is how I am doing it...

But you should search for someone to help you set up your heli. Call around until you find a local hobbie shop. They will have a name and number of someone that flys.

I thought I was doing fairly on as a noobie but I meet up with a local guy that flys and he trimed in my heli tonight and it was night and day difference. He also gave me about 3 minutes worth of coaching, something you can never get with a simulator.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
nuttcaze

Before spending alot of money fixing your CP after crashing, consider getting a HBFP, it handles like a CP heli cause they are both single rotor helis but the HBFP requires almost no setup, my $.02
Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

What part of the RC hobby have you been active in for the past 18 years? There are several
simulators that can be downloaded for free. If you get a newer simulator like Realflight, FSOne,
or the like then you can practice control without risking your regular machine. Control of the
heli is the biggest hurdle you need to overcome.

Our closest club flying field is 40 miles away and you have to be a member to fly there. We
have a non AMA sanctioned flting field that our local group flyies at. Getting the helicopter
set up correctly and learning how to put it back after a crash is key to learning how to fly.

You really need a yard to learn to fly blade cp. A 8X8 area is just to small of an area to keep
the heli out of harms way and out of ground effect.

This is just one moron's opinion so take it for what it is worth. Control of a heli is easier to learn
because it's flight surfaces or active while the heli is sitting still out of harms way. An airplanes
control surfaces are only really active when it is at flight speed and flying then it is to late to save
it from a hard landing.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
kzimmerman

Lots of questions! I've been active in boats, sail and power, since I was 12, got my first glider when I was 16, powered flight at 18, been mostly flying, can fly most types of airplanes. I'm not a great pilot, but I can hold my own. I know heli's are hard, that's why I'm posting this. I also am a school teacher, I have acess to a gymn to practice in. I can fly the simulator pretty well, but the actual heli never makes it very far from the ground before I need new blades. I'm sure it's a set up problem in that regard. The nearest club to me is more than an hour away, and they fly only airplanes there. I've heard theres one or two copter guy's there, but have never seen them, and the people there seem to be slightly zenophobic. I've searched, and there are no active heli flyers on the eastern shore. For what it's worth, I'm on a peninsula, and many of the clubs that you see that are 30 miles or so away are across 7 miles of water. Only two bridges, both an hour away. I havn't checked the link above yet, but are there any good websites on heli setup? I'd like to get this thing rolling without destroying it. I spent some time last night with it tied to a board, about 8 inches of slack, measured very carefully to get them all parallel. It seemed to want to spin to the right, no matter how much trim i put into it.
Thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Skarn

The Blade CP is one of the hardest CP heli's to learn on! It might be setup ok, but still very hard since it's so small.

I started with a Blade CP (after my CX), and after about a year of on and off flying could only tail in hover. I then got a TREX 450 SE v2 this past January and now can do Fast forward flights, figure 8's, acrobatics like loops, rolls, flips and am now learning inverted hovering. Yes, it was THAT much of a difference! And I only fly about 3-5 battery packs only on weekends.

Stick with it! You will eventually get it down.

Here's a nice link for your Blade CP related issues: http://www.bladecprepair.com/

Good luck!
Skarn