Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on this Kyosho Concept 60?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Any thoughts on this Kyosho Concept 60?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on this Kyosho Concept 60?

Hello Heli-guys,
This is my late father's helicopter which he bought in early 90's and flew until 2004. In learning to fly it he obviously broke it a few times and purchased parts to keep it flying. I've been out of the hobby about 10yrs and worse- was never into helicopters. I'd like to sell this as a package (Concept 60, OS 61SF, Futaba 7UHP PCM, and bag of extra parts) but not sure how much to ask. I could part it out auction-wise but sort of hate to do that as I've just replaced the xmitter and flight pack batteries to ensure everything is working. What is it worth as a package vs parted out? If it's not worth much, please don't be afraid to say so. Thanks for any advice, Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68949.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	925282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67807.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	925283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74595.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	925284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27427.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	925285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62053.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	925286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86210.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	925287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57639.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	925288  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
redvtr1000

Default RE: Any thoughts on this Kyosho Concept 60?

Jeff,

It's not worth much. May be of more sentimental value than anything. If you tried to sell the whole thing on ebay, the auction might reach 250 or so but I would think that would be on the high side of things. I sold a nexus on there a while back and it was brand new never flown with an os32. Think I netted about 170.

Problem is that you can't easily source parts for these old kyoshos anymore. I'm sure there are still some parts available but its a pain to get them. If it has been sitting for 4 years you can pretty much bet that the batteries are junk, motor might be gummed up. As far as I know, OS doesn't make that engine or parts for it anymore so it can't be worth much either.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Jeff, I don't really know anything about Kyosho helis but i agree with Dave. It's a little dated and parts might be hard to come by. Someone might be interested in it just to have for a flight once in awhile but it's not something that someone would want to be flying all the time. It is probably worth more to you just to have sitting around the garage then what you could sell it for.
Tim
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Jeff Worsham

Hi Dave and Tim,
Thanks for your thoughts! I did replace the batterys so the radio is all working fine. The old 61 SF turns free, I ought to go ahead and start it up. He used Cool Power Heli fuel so fortunately no castor to gum things up. Boy, I know what you mean about sentimental value, problem is you would not believe how much other stuff there is that means more just because he still has everything from when I was growing up too, 45 years of model airplane stuff! So we'll see how much I'll have room to keep. Thanks for the insight on old helicopters, Jeff. (oh that reminds me, he's got an American Revolution and a GMP Cricket from waaay back)
Old 04-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Bugzilla

You know, there are companies that specialize in reproduction vintage car parts, and it makes me wonder if there would be any money in producing and selling vintage heli and plane parts for those old and hard to find models.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Jeff Worsham

I don''t know about helicopters, but there seems to be a market for vintage airplane stuff. A cottage industry of sorts has sprung up in very recent years to re-produce classic pattern and vintage R/C kits and short-kits. Even more are offered this year as guys are able to return to some of their earlier interests for nostalgia reasons. OS no longer produces the .60 pattern engines, but some parts (piston/liner assy''s) are starting to be reproduced by Henry Nelson. One of the biggest indicators are the auction prices some of these things are going for: Original .60 size pattern kits $400-$800, and engines $250 - $500. The reproduce stuff is much more reasonable and flys just the same!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
redvtr1000

I guess if it has nostalgic value maybe there would be some market but in my situation with the old nexus I had, its kind of in that range where its old but not that old.

You may find that the old cricket has more of an antique value than a kyosho concept/nexus is going to because those models are more in that mid range. They were great for flying etc but I think they just dropped off because you can get a decent 30/50 heli for not all that much nowadays. When you look at the performance of today''s helis compared to some of the older stuff, the technology is just leaps and bounds ahead.

Maybe in 20 years or so there will be a resurgence of love for those old kyoshos and you will find parts easier but I doubt it.

I looked into it pretty good though b/c when I started flying helis I had that brand new nexus. I didn''t care if it was state of the art, if I could have easily found parts for it I would have crashed that thing a hundred times by now. But, finding simple stuff was a pain so I figured better to sell it for 175 bucks and use that dough towards something I could crash and get parts for rather than crash it one time and have to toss it in a box while I spent six months scouring ebay and the forums for spare parts.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Jeff Worsham

ORIGINAL: redvtr1000

I looked into it pretty good though b/c when I started flying helis I had that brand new nexus. I didn''''t care if it was state of the art, if I could have easily found parts for it I would have crashed that thing a hundred times by now. But, finding simple stuff was a pain so I figured better to sell it for 175 bucks and use that dough towards something I could crash and get parts for rather than crash it one time and have to toss it in a box while I spent six months scouring ebay and the forums for spare parts.
Thanks for the confirmation on what it would be like getting parts. That''s exactly what I was thinking when my wife said "why don''t you just keep it and learn to fly it?" Well I knew there would be a lot of crashing involved along the way....

Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

You would end up scouring ebay daily to look for parts. It was a great heli in its day but parts support is its biggest down fall for using it to learn how to fly.