Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli stuff and fellowship

This is a thread for any subject about helicopter flying, electric or nitro, Motors/ engines, Electronics, Batteries, chargers. And RC fellowship. All are welcome to join the family.

Jim D
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
David867

Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hey GREAT thread!! I'm all for joining the fun filled family! I'm into heli's for the camaraderie and fun of it. I enjoy flying alone, but enjoy it that much more with company! I actually fly almost every weekend with flyerbug, who I met through this forum!

I'm currently a CopterX 450SE V2 flyer, and I'm about to upgrade the 430XL motor to a Scorpion 2221-6V2 motor, so if anybody has any experiences/opinions on that, feel free to share it! I can't wait until it shows up, and I can give it a good run for it's money. My 2 EVO25's should show up anytime now, was supposed to be today, but I guess the delivery guy couldn't finish his rounds.

Happy flying all!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 AM
cajungirl

Well looky here,
A place to go to talk helis and other stuff without anyone raisin' heck about the friendly stuff.

Yee haw-JD you came through as usual and I think this is gonna be a good thread.

For tonight it's late and I have to patch up folks in the ER tomorrow so I'm on my way to bed.
You can darn well bet I'll be back.

Jay is home now and will be signing back up tomorrow. He said there is a pile of parts at home for the T Rex and Jessica. He's gonna put in some time on the Rex tomorrow. He has to fly the big ol' 'lectric wires again on Friday and that is the last of that until next year. I'm glad. It worries me when he has to fly those.

Anywho-I'd love to yak awhile but I need sleep.

See y'all later.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM
dooleyje

HEY HEY HEY welcome to the family.

David: I was talking to one of our factory pros yesterday and he said that the Scorpion is a hot motor. Please tell us where you ordered it.

Donica: You need to get home and put that chopper together. I can't wait till you get the controls in your hands.

A little news on batteries. Align has come out with a 6s pack for the trex500 that is the rave at the fly-ins. Apparently it runs circles around the other premium bricks. Speaking of Trex 500. It is already the heli of choice around here. You can use 2 of your 450 batteries for 6s and have the agility of the 450 but the flight feel of a 600. I am going to get one for myself when I save my pennies. I just don't have enough helis.

Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
dooleyje

I found another supplier for CopterX parts and helis www.heli-bros.mybisi.com
They are in MS. They also have a manual for the CX to enjoy for free down load.

Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
David867

Hey Jim,

I got the motor from http://www.3dxhobbies.com/
You're right, most places are out of stock. I ordered it Sunday night, and they shipped my order Monday morning, it'll take a while to get through customs though.

Everyone stop being so friendly!!! It's really getting to my nerves!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
cajungirl

Hey y'all,
Just finishing my lunch break. Been an easy day so far. A rare quiet day in the ER. This afternoon I'll be showing some students how to ventillate a paitient. They have a classroom here with all the neat stuff in it. I'll be using an autotomic manequin for this demo. It's so lifelike it's scary.

Jay has been trying to rejoin today and the system won't let him in. We haven't figured out why yet except that maybe they don't want him back. He's doing some e mailing today to try and find out why. It could be the system is kind of screwy about those that have deleted their memberships too. It let me rejoin but I can't access my account page and my old password doesn't work. The system automatically assigned me a password but didn't tell me what it was. I had to e mail them to get it. Now I can't get into my page to change it and I can't even read my own profile. When I click on 'my account' I get the sign in page even though I'm already signed in and when I sign in again it just keeps sending me back to the sign in page. I've e mailed them but haven't gotten an answer yet. Hopefully we'll get this sorted out soon.

JD- I emailed that new place for CopterX to Jay so he can check it out. I looked over the manual they have and it's page for page the same as the T Rex book. I guess that makes sense as they're clones. Their price on the SE kit is good though.

Jay has been talking to Ames about selling him one of his nitros and Ames is interested. I'm betting they work out a little barter on that. If I know those two they'll be tradin' some mechanic service for that heli. Is that an oxymoron? Tradin' a heli for heli work? I'm foncused.

The students are filing in so I best get ta gittin' and do my duties.

See ya soon.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
David867

Donica, watch out for that automated dude, he might try to get fresh!

General question to throw out there:
The EVO25 I got today says you can fast charge at 2.5C, 5.43A, that's cool! But what does it mean? That they think it's ok to charge that fast, but it'll reduce the lifetime and number of good cycles you get out of the pack? There's always something bad for anything good. So at 1C it'll preserve the pack's stability the best?
(Picture shows the label that says 2.5C 5.43A, hard to see, but you can make it out)

Maybe I'll try charging at 5A and see what happens after 100 cycles, if I only get 120 cycles instead of 150 cycles that'd be great! Maybe I should charge 1 pack at 2.5C and one at 1C and see what the outcome is? I can record all flights and see how many mAh I put back into each. That'd be a good little test.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38768.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	954710  
Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: David867

Donica, watch out for that automated dude, he might try to get fresh!

General question to throw out there:
The EVO25 I got today says you can fast charge at 2.5C, 5.43A, that's cool! But what does it mean? That they think it's ok to charge that fast, but it'll reduce the lifetime and number of good cycles you get out of the pack? There's always something bad for anything good. So at 1C it'll preserve the pack's stability the best?

Maybe I'll try charging at 5A and see what happens after 100 cycles, if I only get 120 cycles instead of 150 cycles that'd be great! Maybe I should charge 1 pack at 2.5C and one at 1C and see what the outcome is? I can record all flights and see how many mAh I put back into each. That'd be a good little test.
David please do not charge more than 1C any higher and you will certainly ruin those batteries. You may want to shorten your flight time to about 8min and keep about 20% reserve left. The chrge time for it will be about 35- 45min at 1c and that includes balancing.

At first break your batteries in slowly. The first 10 flights should be 2-3 min at the most say about 50% reserve and then slowly take the time out to about 8 min. Just like breaking a motor in.

Donica they probably have to reset your URL or you and Jay may need to sign back up with a different account.

Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
David867

Thanks for the warning Jim. The instructions provided also say "Don't set the charge current limit above 1C unless you have special equipment available and supervise the process fully." I guess the 2.5C is for those who really need to charge quick and have all the know how and equipment. I'll stick to 1C. These are expensive batteries, and I've gotta treat it right.

That's also a great tip about flying 2-3 mins for the first 10 flights as well. Gotta break them in lightly!
I think 8 mins will be kind of a lot for them. My ESC is at medium cut off and it starts to alarm at about 7 mins. For my air thunders, they stopped at about 6.5 mins, and the charger said it put back in 1920mAh. But those are heavier packs, so the EVO25's might do better.

I'll be keeping a flight log so I can see how they do. Runtime, blades, throttle settings, ambient temperatures, flying style, stuff like that.

I just got one charged up out of the package, put 1550mAh into it.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

dave, i have the cellpro 4s revolution charger and can charge any lipo at 3C, ive done a couple to see how well it works, and it works well, but i basically keep it at 2C for normal charging/balancing. the cellpro 4s is a great charger IMO, it has manual rates, and auto rates, the auto rates is what i normally use, and itll start out slow, then add amps as it goes, then throttles down at the end during balancing. i got mine from Ka-Planes.

a very safe charger, and a good investment if you own lots of lipo's and want to take care of them.... hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: ginnz

dave, i have the cellpro 4s revolution charger and can charge any lipo at 3C, ive done a couple to see how well it works, and it works well, but i basically keep it at 2C for normal charging/balancing. the cellpro 4s is a great charger IMO, it has manual rates, and auto rates, the auto rates is what i normally use, and itll start out slow, then add amps as it goes, then throttles down at the end during balancing. i got mine from Ka-Planes.

a very safe charger, and a good investment if you own lots of lipo's and want to take care of them.... hope this helps.
I love mine and for less than 70$ you get great information from the Cellpro4, piece of mind and plug and play. It even has a mode that will recover a well drained battery. They also have the Cellpro10 instock again in case you are using brcks in your 500 and 600 siz electric helis.

Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM
David867

Hey Ginnz!
I was wondering where Gretna was, looks like it's close to the US/Canada border! I never knew Manitoba was covered in that much water either, looks like a lot from this google map satellite shot.
I saw that you said you own 17 lipo packs, all I gotta say is WOW!!!! That's awesome. I've only been running 1 Air Thunder 2200mAh pack, and just got 2 more EVO25's, I'm thinking of getting 1 more AT, totalling 4 packs, and I thought that was overkill!!
What type of heli's do you have?

I've already got a charger, it's a cheapo, IMAX B6, the balancing is within 60mV so it's pretty horrible, great thing about it is that it can charge up to 5A, and supports up to 6 cell series batteries, so I'm gonna hookin up 2 packs(EVO25s) to make a 6S pack and balance charging that at 1C(2.2A), which should be the same as charging with 2 chargers, like Jim does, except I've gotta do 2 packs at a time. But that should keep me going at the field on a weekend right?

I checked out the Cellpro4 charger, balancing accurace to 10mV(Good compared to my 60mV haha), it says the max current setting is 3.0A on one site, and 4.0A on another, what's the max on your chargers?
I'm also getting confused about the 3C part, if you want to charge a 2200mAh 3S1P pack at 3C, wouldn't you need to set the current to 6.6A? This hobby is seriously fun, every aspect of it is enjoyable, right down to the milliamps.

Hey Jim, what type of information does it give? It says how many mAh it puts back into the cells right? I wonder if it takes into account the losses during charging, like the energy that turns into heat?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
drobin

God evening everyone.Looks like everyone moved over here.At least no one can complain about the topic being discussed.Sounds like you folks in the west are having decent flying weather.It's been cold and raining here.I hate brushing snow from my truck in May.Well,almost.I looked at my tomato plants today and they all are sitting there with little overcoats on.And the wind has been around 15-30 knots.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 PM
flyerbug686

Whoops, posted on the wrong page.

Hello helifamily.

I dont have much time, but wanted to show my support.

Happy heli dreams,

Bug
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
cajungirl

Hey Flyerbug,
Good to see you in here. You come back ya hear and bring some others with ya.

Finally got my account straightened out and everything is back to normal.

Jay still isn't having any luck rejoining yet. No answers to his e mail have shown up. I'm bettin' they are busy and will help him get back in here soon. He's sleeping tonight. Has to fly the power lines tomorrow (if the weather allows) and needs to be extra alert. On June 15 he heads back down to Oklahoma City to start the flying for the highway projects on the 16th. He's lookin' forward to that a lot. I'm glad he set it up for the middle of June. That way he'll be home the whole time I'm in NE this time. I'll be there the whole first week of June. My birth day is on the 4th and we'll be together for that. I'll be uhuuhh-24 (with 20 years experience).

There was another round of nasty storms in NE again today and looks like more tomorrow. Lotsa heavy rain, high winds and those dang tornadoes. Good stay at home heli building weather.

Watched the Finless Bob video on setting up and centering servos using the radio subtrims tonight. Shoot, nuthin' to it. Fascinating stuff and he makes everything so clear it's great. I hope I make y'all proud and put all this learnin' to use. Jay bets me that I'll get my Jessica off the ground on the first day of flyin'. If I get just a little bit of air under her I'll be tickled.

Mr. Dooley,
You did a good thing here. Look how fast this thread is growin'.

Best get some sleepy time myself. 'Nuther day at the med center tomorrow.

See ya soon.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 AM
David867

Ya, I think this thread is a great idea, the only problem is, I'm boring and don't like to talk about anything other than heli's, and that's a problem because the thread's subject says "Heli stuff and fellowship", which means I MUST include something related to fellowship in my posts, otherwise I would be off topic. If it were to say "Heli stuff or fellowship", that would be different though, because then I could talk related to either of them, not both, but it's not, so here it goes:

Since this thread is all about anything to everything, the sub topic of choice for me right now under heli stuff is BATTERIES!!! I just flew out my EVO25's, they flew great, lots of power, and since they were lighter, the heli felt more agile. It's amazing what 50g can do. Every bit of weight counts, my 9254 tail servo is a little big, at 50g, stepping down to the 9560 might help, that's only about 30g. I guess acceleration = force / mass after all. Anyways, I'm hungry, I best be off to go eat an apple.

Also, I'm trying for the first time, charging my 2 x 3S1P EVO25's as a 6S1P @ 2.2A/1C, it's not doing so great, the balancing is really far off, I think I need to purchase a good quality 6S balancer if I'm going to do this properly. The inaccuraces in my IMAX B6 charger seem to have increased exponentially as I increase cell count. DO NOT PURCHASE THE IMAX B6 if you want balance tolerances of less than 10mV, you won't get it; the resistors they've used in there are low quality, something like +/- 5% accuracy, need something much better than that in a balancer. It balances the cells to 4.23V, 4.21V, and 4.19V. I think I've even seen one cell at 4.26V, which is dangerously overcharged. That's what I meant when I said it has an accurace of 60mV. I think I better get into the market for a good balancer, maybe by FlightPower.

Alright friends! Keep ur batteries properly balanced, and enjoy manipulating the laws of motion!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
dooleyje

Ya, I think this thread is a great idea, the only problem is, I'm boring and don't like to talk about anything other than heli's, and that's a problem because the thread's subject says "Heli stuff and fellowship", which means I MUST include something related to fellowship in my posts, otherwise I would be off topic. If it were to say "Heli stuff or fellowship", that would be different though, because then I could talk related to either of them, not both, but it's not, so here it goes:

Since this thread is all about anything to everything, the sub topic of choice for me right now under heli stuff is BATTERIES!!! I just flew out my EVO25's, they flew great, lots of power, and since they were lighter, the heli felt more agile. It's amazing what 50g can do. Every bit of weight counts, my 9254 tail servo is a little big, at 50g, stepping down to the 9560 might help, that's only about 30g. I guess acceleration = force / mass after all. Anyways, I'm hungry, I best be off to go eat an apple.

Also, I'm trying for the first time, charging my 2 x 3S1P EVO25's as a 6S1P @ 2.2A/1C, it's not doing so great, the balancing is really far off, I think I need to purchase a good quality 6S balancer if I'm going to do this properly. The inaccuraces in my IMAX B6 charger seem to have increased exponentially as I increase cell count. DO NOT PURCHASE THE IMAX B6 if you want balance tolerances of less than 10mV, you won't get it; the resistors they've used in there are low quality, something like +/- 5% accuracy, need something much better than that in a balancer. It balances the cells to 4.23V, 4.21V, and 4.19V. I think I've even seen one cell at 4.26V, which is dangerously overcharged. That's what I meant when I said it has an accurace of 60mV. I think I better get into the market for a good balancer, maybe by FlightPower.

Alright friends! Keep ur batteries properly balanced, and enjoy manipulating the laws of motion!
David do you have the pack in series for a 22.2 pack?. The thing I like about the Cell pro is that all my batteries are spot on in the balance, 4.20 every cell, every time. The info that I like tis how much % I have used and how many mha it puts back in. And the balance voltage. The charger chrges the battery first and then balances the pack when it gets to 90% done but fully charge. So you do not have to wait on the balancing if you do not want. The battery packs and the charger are allways cold so no heat is present to worry about lose. Be kind to your batteries.

Donica we had a bad storm here a couple of nights ago and another tornado on the ground. We are due for more tomorrow.

Later

Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
dooleyje

Here is the latest heli in the family. This is my sons HDX450 we just have 1 trim flight on it. The heli is different than the typical Trex clones. The head is all metal and a great looking piece and the tail assembly I like very much. The servos do not mount on the frames. they mount on the main bearing block in a vertical manner. The servos are perfectly positioned in the 120 CCPN arraingement so the links are the same length and there is not the fiddling you do to get the swash level. The frame assembly is not compatable to the Trex but the head and tail would be. All in all a very nice heli. I only got to fly it once after the build before my son took it back home with him. It flew great with very little trim

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64230.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	955188  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
David867

That's a nice heli. The head looks really well made. Placing the servos at 120 degs is the best idea, I guess the Trex frame is designed to be strong, rather than to optimize servo placement. Oh well, with all the fudging we do, we get it workin pretty good.

Yup, I've put the 2 packs in series to make a 6S pack(2*11.1VDC), and my charger sees it as a 6S pack. It tries to charge every cell to 4.20V, but it doesn't do such a great job. It's a very poor balancer.
Your cellpro sounds really good, that's what I need, 2 of those! Or a good V-power balancer or something.
Or I could replace all the resistors in the charger with high accuracy ones, someone sells a package to replace all of them yourself. That'd be a fun little project.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
cajungirl

Hey hey there,
It's Friday, it's my last day in St. Louie, I'm headin' to NE in the morning and today I'm taking a long lunch. There's a gal working here that could be my twin sister ('cept she talks with a funny yankee accent). Her name is Mickie. She's hispanic and our coworkers have been calling us the twins. We hit it off as buddies and are going to have lunch today at a neat little cafe she knows of here. I guess it's styled after a French coffehouse. I'm lookin' forward to that.

Been faithful to my studies. This morning on my break I watched the Finless Bob video on canopy trimming. That's easy stuff. I think I'm qualified to handle a scalpel and sharp scissors. Jay says the canope for Jessica doesn't need much trimming though. Maybe a couple of little vents on the sides. It's still good to know how though. Mickie came in the cafeteria while I was watching the video today and was real curious about it. I showed her some of the photos and posts on the forum and she was amazed that a girlie girl like me would be into this. She's not real mechanical and a lot of it went by her, but she was fascinated and thought the little helis were cool. She was impressed how we have all made a family on here and told me I was lucky to be part of something like that. Hey, I knew that. Why are ya tellin' me? Uh-oh, better stop that. Kinda sounded like someone we all know and love.

Oh now David. Who do ya think your foolin' with the borin' thing? You're funny even when you're tryin' to be sarcastic and nitpicky. You don't have the edge to your sarcasm that our other friend has (kinda like a hacksaw). We've all seen your sense of humor at work and you ain't foolin' us into thinkin' you're boring or nitpicky. To me the fellowship part just means bein' here and being myself. I'm readin' every word about the batteries. That's a part Jay and I are both still learnin' and it's neat to learn about how they react to different charges, temps and get an insight to what is actually inside one of those little square silver things. I'm going to bug Jay about getting one of those bags for charging them in. The fire thing is scarin' me some and I want us to be safe. Jay has been charging them out on the patio on one of those stone slabs for baking cookies on but we need something to take along when we go fly. Oh by the way, the manequin didn't feel much like gettin' fresh after I shoved a tube down it's neck and let a bunch of newbies take it out and put it back several times.

Hey JD. Your kid has a real nice heli. It's cool that you and he share something like this. My daddys hobby is fishin' and I got to go with him a lot. I loved it and I can actually bait and work my own tackle. My sisters didn't get into the fishin' thing much but my dad, my brothers and I did a lot of it. It was great to go as a family.

Mickie is here so I'm off to France. See y'all later.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM
dooleyje

That's a nice heli. The head looks really well made. Placing the servos at 120 degs is the best idea, I guess the Trex frame is designed to be strong, rather than to optimize servo placement. Oh well, with all the fudging we do, we get it workin pretty good.

Yup, I've put the 2 packs in series to make a 6S pack(2*11.1VDC), and my charger sees it as a 6S pack. It tries to charge every cell to 4.20V, but it doesn't do such a great job. It's a very poor balancer.
Your cellpro sounds really good, that's what I need, 2 of those! Or a good V-power balancer or something.
Or I could replace all the resistors in the charger with high accuracy ones, someone sells a package to replace all of them yourself. That'd be a fun little project.
You can get the new Cellpro10 now and Thats the way I would go if you think you will move to larger bricks with bigger heli's.

Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
dooleyje

Donica my kid is in his late 30's and is a fire chief. He and his wife both work for the fire dept. Dxxb I'm getting old.

We are proud of them. He is so busy being on call all the time and he lives in Spartanburg S.C., about 2hrs away. We do not get together as much as we would like with his firemans schedule. He can relate some funny stories though about his job. He loves this hobby. He will not put a heli in the air till I go through it for him first. I need to take the time to go to him more often as I am retired. My music schedule keeps me on the road about 20 days a month. Anyway my father got me started in models back about 1958 and we shared the hobbie until I went to Vietnam. Dads gone now so now it is a great thing to share with my Kid and G-babies.

Later
Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
David867

Hey Donica, it's cool that you found someone who's just like you! (Maybe you can get Mickie into helis!) It's great to find someone who you just "click" with and become friends. Haha, I can imagine the perplexed look on her face as she watches finlessbob trim a canopy, and you showing her pictures of Jessica and the Trex450. She's like, what? 450 what???

It's funny that she was surprised you were into all this mechanical/electrical stuff. It's fun stuff though, very interesting! Our lives are full of physics and energy, and these little heli's are physics and energy dancing together at it's best! It's too fascinating. I think curious people are the ones who really enjoy heli's, they wanta see how it works, how does it fly? How does it flip, how does it fly inverted? How does the swash plate work? How does the flybar work with the swashplate and main blades? The Bell-Hiller system is really cool, the way it works is so simple but so complex, who comes up with these things from scratch? Geniuses!

Ya, the lipo sac is a good idea, it can save you from burning your house down, so that's worth investing in. Lipo technology is almost old, the new LIFE batteries made with nano technology should be soon pushing the lipo's off the shelves. LIFE's don't blow up or shoot flames like the LIPOs do. Until they become wide spread, we'll have to keep using LIPO's.

Have a good trip home!! Back to Jay and Jessica!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 PM
drobin

I just want to share a mod I read about on the DF36 forum for the main frame.I replaced all the little silver screws with 2x20mm hex head screws.After removing the silver screw,carefully drill out the screw hole with a 1/16" drill.Than screw in the hex head screw.It makes splitting the frame a snap now.And keeps everything nice and snug.The only problem I had was over torquing the screw and stripping it out.Than I replaced it with a 2.5x20mm screw.It makes it alot easier on my hands when I have to split the frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.