Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Any advice for an Old Guy that wants to fly?

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Any advice for an Old Guy that wants to fly?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any advice for an Old Guy that wants to fly?

I don't really like ordering stuff from Canada because of our strange customs laws here in the U.S. You can order a part from Hong Kong and get it in a week, but when you order a part from our friendly neighbors to the north it seems that even though they ship it right out it always seems to somehow get stuck in U.S. customs, sometimes for weeks. I could drive up to Canada and by parts in person and drive back home easier than having something shipped here from there. Beleive me, I love the good ole U.S.of A. , but sometimes the laws here go a little overboard , that's why I usually just order my parts from a supplier here in the states. Good Luck. Oh, and thanks for the links axel. I have heard other good comments about the CellPro chargers. I also need some more lipos but I think I will wait till spring to get them. Winter lasts for about 6 months here near the Great Lakes region [&o].
Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 PM
axel8000

Jerry,
That sucks man... just SIM it out until spring time then.. but having more batteries is definitely helpful.. I have 4, but I realize now that 3 is about all you really need. I can fly, put one on charge, fly both the other ones and be done for a while.. It's energy draining to fly too long. I find about 20-25 minutes of flying is all I can take for a while.. I'll fly again in a few hours. And I'm only 27! But flying just gets your heart a pumpin' and your nerves a jumpin'! Especially when your learning. RADD's School is definitely the best! I highly suggest you follow his school to a T. It's saved me so much money and time.. really it has. and it's free info! That's the best part! So many people in the heli hobby are willing to help you out. I mean.. look at the response you've gotten to this post already. I've met nothing but nice people here on the forums. It's a pretty tight-knit community. Especially here in the beginner forums. you'll find that there are a lot of people here that are not beginners. They are here just because they enjoy helping people.. Like my good friend Jim. He's helped me so much. Again, you should post on the "Heli Stuff and Fellowship" post.. everyone there will treat you kindly. They've all sure helped me a ton!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 AM
dbatman

Too bad about the winter thing. I take the weather here for granted. Spoiled old guy.
One thing that you may want to consider is to put heavier paddles on your heli. I changed my stock EXI paddles for some Align 8g paddles and it sure hovers nicer. I also have a weight on each end of the flybar.
Yesterday I flew it in about a 5-10 mph breeze and I was impressed at how stable it was. 1st flight with the new paddles installed. I would fly upwind , turn it sideways and let the wind push it back towards me. 1st time I have ever done that , felt really confident about the heli not going to do anything unexpected. Still ended up shaking when it was over though.

Stay warm

Don
Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
rochild

Hello Jerrymac,

Greetings from the other end of the 'World' I am at the Equator, burning in hell each day ( average temp 32 deg Celcius, about 94F I think)
..............some 'cooler weather' out here is always welcome. I just joined last week.
50 years young ? You're a Kid ! Welcome to the Obsession !
I posted my experience in "I see the Light" this forum. keep working the Sim every oppurtunity you get.

Just FYI, I have logged 20,000 hours in real airplanes, done twenty five years on Fixed Wing RC, and just got into RC Helis and its drivin'me crazy. And my life's ambition is to get a hang of this thing before...........I leave the scene.

Stick with it, We'll both get there................

Best wishes,

rochild