Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade CX 2 charge

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM
captainkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX 2 charge

I reciently purchased a Blade CX 2 and I expected the initial charge to be less than an hour - I charged it for more than an hour and then couldn't wait any longer. I flew it around until it was "dead". Currently, I'm sitting here waiting for the green LED light to go off (full charge) but it's been about 2 hours now. Should I be concerned? I thought it only took about 1 to 1.5 hours to charge. This is my first Heli and I'm not too confident in the procedures. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Missileman

Default RE: Blade CX 2 charge

It usually takes at least 1-1/2 hours or more and NEVER run the lipo completely dead. That will ruin the pack.
Lipo batteries cannot handle being discharged below about 3 volts per cell.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM
sgtcat

"hint hint"

"dead"
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
captainkirk

Silly question...how do I know how much voltage is left in the heli battery pack? The xmtr has a fancy display and also beeps when it gets below (I think 4.5V). I hate to think I've got to stop flying, check the voltage with a multi-meter and then either re-charge or continue flying.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Druss

You can fly for around a max of 8-9 minutes on a fully charged pack. Check the voltage of a fully charged pack, it should read 8.4v.

As to how you know.... most people time it, on a FULLY charged battery, time how long you fly (really fly not just have the battery plugged in) and fly for around 5 minutes, stop and read the voltage (use the balance connector so you don't have to unplug the main connector), repeat until you get to 6.6v. See how long you were flying. Do this a few times so you really know what the time is then use that time as a max.

Don't push your batteries, an extra minute of flying time per charge is not worth destroying a battery. Just buy extras so that you can have one (or more) charging while you're flying.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Missileman

When I was flying my CX I quit when I had to start adding more throttle to stay in the air, just don't push it and you will be fine.
As you progress to models with better ESCs they have a low voltage cutout that will let you know it is time to land.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 AM
captainkirk

Good information - thanks.