Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Got a heli, now how do I fly it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Got a heli, now how do I fly it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM
stoltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a heli, now how do I fly it?

Obviously I am new to the heli scene with the title.
After flying one of those cheap shopping mall helicopters, I thought I would buy a Walkera 4-3b. I got it last week and have no idea what I am doing. Guess I should have done some research first. Anyway, now I have it and need some advise on flying.
Where should I start?
Are there any guides available?
Some people say yes to sim, some say it isn't necessary. I have a mac. Can you get anything cheap for them?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Got a heli, now how do I fly it?

Most sims require PC so a PC on MAC software would be needed.
Try RADDs school of rotary flight.
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
2bluerussian

Stoltz,

Searching for an RC flight simulator is the only time I wish I had a PC over a Mac.

There is a single Mac version that I am aware of from a place called Alpha Mac Software - www.alphamacsoftware.com - I have no idea about the physics quality or even being able to use a transmitter of any sort with it. Please don't take that to mean the physics are bad or that there is not some way to connect a transmitter to it, just that I have not done any research in to it. Alpha Mac Software appear to be European based, so you'd be paying 30 euros to register

What type of Mac are you running? Intel based processors? I would not try to run any modern flight sim under a PC emulator (virtualPC, etc). The only shot you've got for running a PC flight sim on a mac is if you can run Windows natively in boot camp (requires intel processors). I have seen on RealFlight's discussion board that it seems to work well under boot camp. Check the system requirements carefully to ensure your mac will work. To test it you might be able to get a free demo download from RealFlight's (or other sim manufacturers) website.

This may sound lame, but I actually learned basic heli skills on a PlayStation 1. If you have a PlayStation 1 (or anything that is backward compatible with it), you can get basic instruction and orientation practice with RC Stunt Copter. The physics weren't perfect but it got me in the air with a real one.

Good luck with the sim!!

Edited for finger flubs...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
zbird

Make no mistake, Helicopters are hard. I started out like you, bought a walkera on line. Then went to my local hobby store for help.They did not seem to eager to help me because I didn't buy from them. So I returned the one I bought on line and bought one from them.As long as I was spending money there, they were more then willing to help me. The best advise I can give you is get a simulator.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Missileman

One other thing I should have mentioned before.
There are RC flying clubs all over the place and many of them have heli pilots.
Check around your area. Nothing will be in person hands on help with your heli.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 PM
kd5boc

I second the rc field. It's a great way to meet new folks and learn new skills.

I never did RADDS, but I did read it. I basically started the same way without realizing it. Just get it light on the training gear, move it around. I ended up bunny hopping mine until it lasted longer and longer. Before I knew it I was able to hover it easily.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Simages

ORIGINAL: stoltz
Obviously I am new to the heli scene with the title.
After flying one of those cheap shopping mall helicopters, I thought I would buy a Walkera 4-3b. I got it last week and have no idea what I am doing. Guess I should have done some research first. Anyway, now I have it and need some advise on flying.
Where should I start?
Are there any guides available?
Some people say yes to sim, some say it isn't necessary. I have a mac. Can you get anything cheap for them?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
I sent you a PM and a sim is a great tool, but I'm a PC..... not much help with the MAC. So, did you buy it new and have you flown it? Spin up that 4-3b, it very durable! It might help to start with hand launchs, say over a bed. It won't be long before you'll be hovering!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
stoltz

Bought it new and have been trying to fly it in the school gym, in the morning, before the kids get here. I am a teacher.
I don't have training gear. If I get some, are they universal fit, or do I need one specific to the 4-3B? Where is the best place to buy?
I can get it to do whatever i want on the ground, but as soon as I get in the air, it is like someone else is controlling it. I am glad this thing is durable. I have smacked it into the ground more times than I can count.
I have tried the RADD (without training gear) system and feel it has helped me gain great knowledge, but still can't hover.
Should I be able to hover with just the throttle, or do I have to feather the right stick too?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

with the small helis there is always stick input no matter what...just the nature of the beast!! The larger you get the easier they are to fly. I started on a small heli too, and it will definantly teach you input control lol...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 PM
2bluerussian

I second that... with the smaller helis (without heading hold gyros) it is "both sticks, both axes, all the time", particularly when you are starting out. After you gain some experience you can get two or so seconds of relaxation, but that will be about the extent of it for micros/minis. That seems to be a "feature" that sims don't always nail. I was playing around with Real Flight at the local hobby shop with the Axe CP loaded. On the sim, as long as I didn't touch the sticks at lift off, I didn't need to add any cyclic. I'm sure wind was turned off, but even indoors the real things need nearly constant input in all directions. It was realistic once you touched the cyclic to move.

Larger helis tend to resist the wind, require more force to overcome inertia at rest (giving you more time to react to a pitch change), have lower translational lift in an equivalent wind and generally have a bit less slop in the rotor head. On the bright side, once you learn a collective pitch micro heli, bigger helis will feel easier to control.

Sorry, no input on the training gear (mine were included with the heli) other than definitely try to find some. Even if you have great control in the air, micro helis tend to have a pretty narrow stance and can tip over on the ground while just being light on the skids.

Good luck... let us know how you progress.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: 2bluerussian

I second that... with the smaller helis (without heading hold gyros) it is "both sticks, both axes, all the time", particularly when you are starting out. After you gain some experience you can get two or so seconds of relaxation, but that will be about the extent of it for micros/minis. That seems to be a "feature" that sims don't always nail. I was playing around with Real Flight at the local hobby shop with the Axe CP loaded. On the sim, as long as I didn't touch the sticks at lift off, I didn't need to add any cyclic. I'm sure wind was turned off, but even indoors the real things need nearly constant input in all directions. It was realistic once you touched the cyclic to move.

Larger helis tend to resist the wind, require more force to overcome inertia at rest (giving you more time to react to a pitch change), have lower translational lift in an equivalent wind and generally have a bit less slop in the rotor head. On the bright side, once you learn a collective pitch micro heli, bigger helis will feel easier to control.

Sorry, no input on the training gear (mine were included with the heli) other than definitely try to find some. Even if you have great control in the air, micro helis tend to have a pretty narrow stance and can tip over on the ground while just being light on the skids.

Good luck... let us know how you progress.
You have to realize that in real flight the heli is perfectly set up too. Very few RTf helis are ever perfectly set up because new pilots don't know how to do that. The RTF radios are also pretty limited and don't allow a "perfect" set up.

Get training gear, it's also easy enough to make your own. Just get some carbon fiber rod, stick some ping pong balls on the end (held on with fuel tubing on either side of the balls) and zip tie them to the skids.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
stoltz

mistake....sorry

How do you erase an entry?