Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Are big Helis easier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 AM
djangomangalam
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are big Helis easier?

I think I heard somewhere that bigger helis are easier to fly? Is that true? I know this sounds kinda stupid but are big helis easier to fly? If yes than wouldn't a big heli be the best for someone who knows the basics for flying a two bladed helI? No? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Are big Helis easier?

Bigger helis are more stable then the smaller ones but all helis are hard to fly, it takes a lot of practices. Setup is the big thing, if your heli is not setup right it doesn't matter what size it is, it's not going to fly right. The problem
with a beginner starting with a big heli (90 size) is the cost, once they find out how much each crash cost they loose intrest in the hobby pretty quick (90's are very expensive to fix).

That's why a lot of people getting into the heli hobby start out with a small heli until they learn to fly, to keep the cost down. I guess it all boils down to how much money you have, if money isn't a problem then a 90 would be a
great beginner heli (other then the safety factor), but you better be prepared to have deep pockets.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
djangomangalam

What do you most people break when they crash their helis? Landing skids? Why is it so expensive?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Missileman

Mostly main blades, main shaft, feather shaft and maybe a main gear or flybar, That is is you managed to avoid a tail boom strike then the cost goes up more.
Edit: if you are flying a plastic head then head parts tend to break in a crash also.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Crashing a 90 that only breaks the blades can set you back over 100 dollars and that is rarely all that breaks.

Bigger helis are more stable, easier to see, and less effected by wind.

They are more complicated, more expensive, consume nitro at an alarming rate, and can be quite intimidating.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
djangomangalam

I was thinking I would get something brushless electric, not nitro. I was looking at RC-TEK and they seem to have some pretty cool helis, I do have the funds to buy them but, like you said they do look a little intimidating AND EXPENSIVE. Soooo...in short it is probably not a good idea to get a big one? Is that what you guys are saying? Right now I have a Esky Honey bee King 2 which I can fly in the gym wheres theres no wind but I have trouble flying it outside I live on the coast so there is usually a breeze blowing through there. I thought buying a bigger heli would solve the problem but you guys are making me think twice.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Druss

A 90 size is more than twice the length of the king2... If you're just looking for a good entry into larger helis that are electric look at the Gaui Hurricane EP550. To put it together with radio would cost around $800 to $1000 depending on the components. A .90 nitro would easily cost double that.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Zeta30

I was flying my CopterX450 at a park over the summer and a guy that just moved the area came up to me. As it turns out he flies a .90 sized Heli. I was complaining about a crash that I had that cost $75 to repair. He said that a recent crash he had cost him $1100 to repair.

I'm never going to complain about the ciost to repair my 450 Heli again.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:30 AM
BoysToys

One of my flying buddies crashed his T-Rex 500 last weekend and broke the usual stuff. His crash ended up costing him $110 and my last T-Rex 500 crash cost me $150 (the usual stuff plus a canopy). I have not yet crashed my T-Rex 600 but am anticipating a bill of around $200+, even higher if I "taco" a $300 lipo, when I do. Just a replacement set of 600mm carbon VBlades will cost me $125 and those are pretty much garunteed to break.. Compare that with my average 450 crash cost of about $25-$30.

Like the others have said, large helis are more stable, easier to see, and less effected by wind. I learned on a T-Rex 450 then moved up to a 500 and now mostly fly my 600. I like my larger helicopters so much that have not flow my 450 at all in my last 5 trips to the field.

Like Druss stated, you are looking at a minimum of about $800 to get into a "larger" heli. I don't even want to think how much I have in my T-Rex 600, I have about $1,500 tied up in just 5 lipos for it.[&:]

Anyway you look at it you have to pay to play!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 AM
djangomangalam

Um...this may sound wimpy but I was viewing a Trex 450 as a big heli, lol.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: djangomangalam

Um...this may sound wimpy but I was viewing a Trex 450 as a big heli, lol.
LOL!

Now that's funny! But I do understand where you are coming from...I started on a Blade CP and yes, the 450 is much bigger and more stable. But nothing compared to my Raptor 50!

Skarn
Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 AM
djangomangalam

Oh OK,

Yeah I was viewing some smaller helis as big ones, I understand what you mean when you say the Trex is small when compared to the 500-600 scale, those helis are huge! But I wasn't talking about getting something that big.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
epoxy123

Can anyone tell me the typical cost (usual things that break on a crash) to repair a Raptor 30 vs Raptor 50? I know this depends on the level of damage.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 PM
r_william

What is a typical crash?

Just look at the difference in replacement part costs and you'll have your answer.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Druss

Just look at shafts, blades, landing gear, tail booms.. etc. Like stated, just look at the cost of parts in general and you'll know.

Blades will definitely be more on the .50
Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

My first heli was a Blackhawk 450 se. It was a nice stable heli to learn on , but it too can get away from you kinda quick when the wind starts blowing. I like flying it but I am savin my pennies to hopefully get a Trex 500 someday. I do have a HBK2 that I picked up used, and I can tell you that the 450 is a lot better in the wind than the 300 size heli though.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM
techrtr

I've had some pretty horrendous crashes with my T-Rex 450 - like having a blade grip break during a loop and having the heli plummet from great height. Even with upgrades to more expensive billet parts, I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 for repairs. The one minor crash I've had with my 50 size nitro cost me about $150 for a tail boom, torque tube, main shaft, assorted odds and ends (didn't have to replace the blades). To be honest, even though the 50 is a blast to fly, I'm a bit afraid to fly it because I can't afford to fix it if I crash it. Even though the 450 is a bit skittish compared to the 50, I fly it the most. Love the convenience, the fact that I can fly it at the local school yard, or even around my driveway.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
MTboy

Just jump up to a 450 class. Parts are alot cheaper and it will be a better step then buying a huge heli to crash and sit for ever till you have the money to fix.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GUAI Hurricane 550 Druss mentioned is a good choice if you want to start with something bigger more stable than a 450. Its a lot more stable than any 450 I've flown (Black Hawk , Trex) and the crash cost for most of the common broken parts is about the same as a 450s. It also flies well on those cheap Hobby City zippy 3300 packs. I've had a few mishaps with mine and have yet to spend more the 25-30 bucks.