Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need advice on new heli.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need advice on new heli.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
mpw_8679

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on new heli.

Whats up guys? I am a fixed wing flier looking at getting into helis. I would like a nitro powered somewhere in the 30 to 60 size. I just want something easy to repair and somewhat cheap to repair. I am just looking into learning to fly. I will probably buy a new one after I learn to advance my skills further. I have a Futaba 7c 2.4 radio, but will need everything else including servos and a gyro. Is there any good package deals out there? What do u guys think?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Druss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on new heli.

You can always look for used. Both on here and helifread and runryder there are tons of .50 nitros on sale everyday. Thunder Tiger is probably the cheapest and very robust. If you're just starting out you don't need a CF / CNC 3D monster.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

http://www.heliproz.com has all kinds of combos or call them and they will put you something together.

There's lots of great 50's on the market.
The Vibe, Raptor, Trex 600, EVO 50 just to name a few.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM
mpw_8679

Well I did some looking around but I am still kinda torn between what size to get. From the research I have done it seems like the 50 is the way to go. Similiar in price to the 30, but I wont outgrow it as fast. The only bad thing I have heard is they are very thirsty, and with the price of glow fuel that has me a little concerned. I am still unsure what brand of heli as they all sound good. I dont have a LHS here so I will have to order all my parts over the web so parts availability should not be a concern.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

50 size...not so thirsty run it on 15% and youll be fine.
There are some real deals out there at the moment.
Me Im a Trex 600 advocate.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

The only real stand out in the 50 size market right now is the Vibe 50, but its 600 dollars and not for everyone.

The Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan, Trex 600n, Hirobo EVO 50, Compass Knight 50 are all solid choices.

The Magazine section of RCU has reviews of the Vibe, Titan, and EVO if you want to know what you're getting into.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: mpw_8679

Well I did some looking around but I am still kinda torn between what size to get. From the research I have done it seems like the 50 is the way to go. Similiar in price to the 30, but I wont outgrow it as fast. The only bad thing I have heard is they are very thirsty, and with the price of glow fuel that has me a little concerned. I am still unsure what brand of heli as they all sound good. I dont have a LHS here so I will have to order all my parts over the web so parts availability should not be a concern.
That's true but then again, it's always true. The .50 is the most popular nitro size though so you've got the most support available for it. and if you think a .50 is thirsty then a .90 is like a guy that walked across the sahara.

If you're ordering online then I wouldn't worry about what brand you get. All of them have good parts support through some good online venders.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
mpw_8679

Thanks for your help guys. I think I have decided on the raptor titan. I looked real hard at the jr vibe, but I think the raptor will be better to learn on. Now I just have to decide on engine, servos, and gyro. One last question though. My radio is a 7C futaba 2.4. It is the airplane version. Is there any thing different I need to do setup wise to fly a heli?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Druss

As far as I know all the 7C radios are the same, it has the same programming as the heli version but some of the switches may different and the throttle is smooth on the heli version. The manual is the same for both so it should cover everything you need.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
BarracudaHockey

An OS hyper engine, Align or Outrage pipe, 9252 servos (x3) a 401/9254 on the tail and a 3151 on the throttle. I'd also reccomend an Aerospire Multigov