Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

heli for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
xbleriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli for beginner

Hello,

I plan to buy an electric RC helicopter for Christmas
But first I'll buy a simulator (Phoenix RC) to practice
Then, I'll have to decide
One of my friend recommends the T-Rex 450 which is a very good model, and very durable. But more pricey (~$450 if buy from Chinese website?)
I was more thinking about something like a Esky Belt CP RTF (V1 or V2) or a HoneyBee King (V2 or V3), which are cheaper (~$200)
My question is: what is the best pick?
What you guys think?
For your information, I'm not looking for 3D flight

Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Druss

Default RE: heli for beginner

the trex is definitely the better heli and is worth the extra cost if you're going to stay in the hobby for a while. the belt cp is a good trainer but don't spend a lot on upgrades if you get it. use it to learn on then move on.

there are lots of helis in between like the blackhawk 450.

remember that the cost of the trex 450 probably doesn't cover everything like the electronics or radio. also, whether that's a good price or not depends on the model, is that a price for the SA, SE or SE V2. What are you getting for the $450?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 AM
xbleriot

I don't really know the details about the Trex 450 at this price (SA, SE, SE V2, etc...) I'll look deeper and let you know
But yesterday, I found the KaPlanes website, and the Black Hawk models (450 or 500)
Looks like the 500 is almost the same price. They have a package RTF @ $330 I think
But:
1) Would you recommend this heli vs the T-Rex (or at least are they the same)
2) Would you recommend the 450 vs the 500
3) Should I buy a combo RTF or the kit and buy separate equipment such as gyro, servos, TX/RX, battery, etc...?
4) Do you know about sims: What about Phoneix RC or FS One?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

the blackhawk 450 from Ka-Planes is a very good choice, as far as between the 450/500, id say just gor the 450. i have the 500, and while its a little bigger, its not much bigger. it spins 350mm mains, and the tail is about 1.5 inches longer than a 450..... the over all frame size of the BH 500 is 1 1/4" inches taller..... so the larger size isnt going to be that much more stable than a real 500. and if you get one rom Ka-Planes, you'll have great support!

and as a total beginner, id suggest an RTF package from them, and a sim (FOR SURE!), the 450 can share most parts with a 'rex 450 also..... i have FS One. dont bother with it, get any other one ;-)

my bh 500 (SE PRO) is setup with a logictech 2100/3100 combo, an upgraded 40A ESC and is setup for 4S..... im on the fence on wether i should sell it or not. if i can find a scale fuse that will fit the mechanics in, ill keep it.... i just dont fly it much anymore. as i fly my Hoss X4E the most for all my 450's, my Flasher 450 is my training bird, then my 'Rex 600E is my newest.....
Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
xbleriot

I sent them an email, and they also proposed the Wing 450 SE which is supposed to be cheaper, but there is no RTF combo package
If I have to buy a gyro, RX, TX and servos, I don't really see how it can be cheaper!!!

Do you know this heli?

About sim, is Phoenix RC a good choice?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Druss

phoenix is a good sim but you need your own tx. real flight 4/4.5 comes with a controller which is modeled on the futaba 6ex. reflex xtr is the other good sim.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
xbleriot

I already have a Hitec Flash 5, which is a 5 chanels, but according to the guys from Phoenix RC, it's compatible...
(although I don't know how it works since an heli needs 6 channels!!!)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
xbleriot

Does someone know if the transmitter delivered with the Black Hawk 450 SE from Ka-Planes (a Wfly transmitter 6 ch) is compatible with Phoenix RC sim?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 PM
xbleriot

Hey....it's me again
I was thinking about the Black Hawk 450 SE from Ka-Planes @ $329, but find the same heli on Xheli.com for $300, with a 2.4Ghz radio and a better battery (1800mAh vs 1200mAh)
Are we talking about the exact same heli?
Then I took a look at the other models at xheli.com, and found a lot of them in the 2,4Ghz/brushless RTF: the belt CP V2, Honey Bee V3; Legend 450SE, Genesis 450PE, etc...
What do you think about those models?
Should I stick with the Black Hawk?
What about xheli.com vs Ka-Planes?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
axel8000

i would go with the blackhawk from ka-planes if not just for the support.. Mike Jr. over that has been a great help to me in getting into the hobby.. he's always willing to answer questions.

I've had my BH450 for 4 months now, and I'm glad I started there. I have mine upgraded pretty nicely too. Parts are cheap, and ka-planes ships fast. I will always recommend people buy from ka-planes.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
axel8000

also ka-planes does a 5 point pre-flight check.. just to make sure everything is working good before they ship it off.

I would also suggest you go to RADD's SCHOOL of Rotary flight
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

It will help you get off the ground without breaking any parts... at least it did me. I didn't have my first crash until i disobeyed RADD..
Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
jerrymac

My first heli was a BH 450 SE that I got from Ka-planes. It is a real nice heli for the price, and the folks at Ka-planes are great to do business with. I just ordered and recieved a new Gaui 550 from them last weekend. I have never done business with X-heli, and I probably never will after reading all the ongoing complaints from others here about them. I suggest that you read the threads about X-heli in the general heli discussions before making your decision. There is also a thread on the Blackhawk if you want to read what other owners have to say about their experience with this heli.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 AM
xbleriot

OK, $30 bucks is not a huge difference anyway if the support is great!!!
Some question though:
1) What do you think about the transmitter (Wfly 6ch-72Mhz) vs the one delivered by xheli (2.4Ghz)
2) What about the battery difference (1200mAh at Ka-Planes vs 1800mAh at Xheli)
3) Anyone tried the Wfly TX with a sim, especially Phoenix RC?

Thanks a lot guys for all your inputs

Xavier
Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
axel8000

i believe they both come with a 2.4ghz system.. Mine that I ordered 4 months ago from ka-planes was 2.4ghz... eventually you will want to get a better TX, but that will be the same story whether you but the KA-planes one or the x-heli one.

The ka-planes one should come with a 2.4ghz TX... I think it's the same TX actually for both of them. the x-heli has a red label i believe and the ka-planes one has a blue label.. i'm pretty sure.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 PM
jerrymac

It seems like Ka-planes changed the RTF package on the 450 SE. Mine came with the 2.4ghz transmitter (although I recently got a DX7 for my new Gaui 550) and it now says it comes with 72 mhz? Maybe you could email Mike and ask him about this. Maybe he could still set you up with a 2.4 if you tell him that is what you would like to have.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
axel8000

i just got the DX7 recently too... best decision I ever made.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 AM
pic
My Feedback: (8)

HOWDY FOLKS, I AM AS GREEN AS THEY COME TO THE HELI ARENA.I HAVE SEVERAL PLANES AND NO TIME TO FLY THEM BECAUSE I CANT TAKE THEM ON THE ROAD WITH ME.I'VE WANTED TOGET INTO HELI'S FROM THE BEGINING BUT THE COST OF THE EQUIPMENT WAS TO GREAT,UNTIL NOW. I HAVE TAKEN THE PLUNGE.I BOUGHT THE NEW GENESIS 450 PE RTF FROM NITRO PLANES.THOUGH I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE I INTEND TO LG @ LEAST 50 HOURS SIM TIME BEFORE I TRY THE REAL THING. I HAVE THE GREATPLANES G3.5 SIM. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS SIM AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE GENESIS 450 PE FULLY LOADED?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM
skyking1967

just got the cx2. first heli. flies nice. but installing and removing the battery is a pain! Why can't I just leave it in and charge by removing the forward cowl? If anyone else has a solution to this please let me know. Also, should it take aprox 2 hr. to charge?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 AM
blade_killer

the CX2 battery slips in and out the back, do you have yours in the wrong way??

point the wires to the back of the battery tray, that makes plugging it in simple and to remove it for charging you just slide it out.....takes 3 sec
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
skyking1967

per the manual I can install either way. tried both. with wires out the back the leads on the batt would not reach the leads on the heli.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Got-to fly
My Feedback: (1)

I had a CX and had a lot of good flights. I think that I notched out a little of the plastic to allow the wires to connect. I never used the felcro, the battery was plenty tight and never had a problem. Sliding the battery in with the wires out the left side toward the back gave me just enough room to connect. When you fly, remember to not slam the stick forward and quickly back or the blades will touch and it will drop immediately. Yes, I droped mine from thirty feet and it survived but it took a little while to determine what happened. And flying in wind.....you will learn not to do that. Good Luck
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM
nitrostaff1

ORIGINAL: jerrymac

It seems like Ka-planes changed the RTF package on the 450 SE. Mine came with the 2.4ghz transmitter (although I recently got a DX7 for my new Gaui 550) and it now says it comes with 72 mhz? Maybe you could email Mike and ask him about this. Maybe he could still set you up with a 2.4 if you tell him that is what you would like to have.
Jerrymac, I'm the service rep for XHeli.com and my primary job is to take good care of all the forum members for my company. If you ever decide to shop with us and need first-class service, I will be here. You can also visit our official support forum for the best service possible. Thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Jeff B99

ORIGINAL: jerrymac

I called him yesterday afternoon (12/17) since I am interested in the 450. He said he was not planning on getting any more with the 2.4 radio. I have to say I hung up the phone scratching my head. [sm=confused.gif] Maybe he was just interested in off-loading his current stock of 72s rather than losing a potential customer for some future date?

Jeff
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 AM
jerrymac

Hmmm Jeff, that seems kinda strange since at the time I bought mine it only came with 2.4 radio and wasn't even offered in 72mhz. Maybe the supplier sent him some older stock or something, don't know? Anyhow, as soon as I get my Hurricane 550 built I will probably just get a new AR6200 rx for my BH and fly it with the Dx7 too, so if you decide to get the 72mhz from Ka and want a little better 2.4 radio just pm me after the holidays and if you want it I will send you the stock Tx and Rx from my BH since I won't need it anymore. No sense in it just collecting dust here if you can use it. Just pay for the shipping and it's yours.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Jeff B99

THanks for the kind offer! And I sent you a PM. Let me know here if you did not receive.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.