Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need good beginer heli!!

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need good beginer heli!!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
toy4therock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need good beginer heli!!

[sm=tongue_smile.gif]Hello I am now researching helis as a beginer.Made it to a local shop last week for a good education.And a quick fun flight! I flew a blade micro dont recall the product number.However it was PRICY for what it was being tiny and with the dual head rotors one running counter rotation.The guy at the store said it was the finnest beginer one could buy.I dont that but it was a quality nice heli very stable!But it wasnt my idea of what I want .I am looking for a larger heli that can be flown indoors or out.And would prefer to start with a more typical heli.Meaning single mains and tail motor.Only in a fixed pitch setup.And 4 channel radio one that is crash resistant as they come.With carbo fiber and basicly built for the beginer in mind but can stick with this heli for some time to come.To the point its just time to go real with mixing and after alot of time also with a good sim using the same radio for best results.So here is my question to all of you.That can at all give me good to better solid advice.I am presently looking at two helis.One the walkera 4#3B 2.4ghz 4ch mini heli and the one I liked best so far the other is the Esky E004 HB RTF 4 ch or I hope thats right?When I know for fact it is the Honey bee 2 with fixed pitch and so many many all great reviews who could say no to that champion bee great heli.And told to survive crashes unlike no other period.Do to its light weight and strong carbon fiber parts along with something that aided it as for how it came down if without power of course.To any smart pilot error and response time for helping it out anyway one can less full bore unside down into the hard ground or street! Im thinking a place with alot of sand or semi tall grass meaning 2 inch or so for softer landings however they maybe.Called using better good commonsense.Cant hurt at all in this area to many others.So who can tell me about this idea of mine and these helis?As I was about to buy one with the counter rottion dual blade setup.Untill trying it for my very first time.And basicly took off and hooverd then flew right to left then backwards to land semi ok in the store helpers hand.As he seen what I was working to do.And simply helped me and the store heli out really in landing as I happend to be in the air and one foot away at the time.Point is this.I wont say it didnt take focus and real attention.IT certainly did but I also owned and raced a open class wicked fast great handling buggy.2 decades long ago.When then electric wasnt at all popular but for these buggys period.You bought in a disasembled kit complete with a cheap stick radio I hated!So much it wasnt but within two weeks from building I got a nice Kraft wheel unit and then started to really drive that cool buggy.Then started racing outdoors on a seriously poor idea of a race track.That chewed up 10.00 in reartires every single visit.That the moment I heard a indoor track was about to open its doors.I was there and basicly never left till they closed then selling my open class best buggy there bar none.That took a 2nd place in a long six week race.Only I was the only with both such a custom owner built race car and one that was hard to break.Not to mention faster than everything anyone had but one other and he couldnt controll it and didnt ever race.I used a less zippy motor with serious torque plenty fast! I was the only to hit two tight corners and open my car up!For sprint car type sideways action with full five feet roosts tossed a foot high and five out.Point Im trying to make is this.It didnt take at all long to get the hang of it once I had the right type and quality equipment.But thank god I had before at all building the open class car!OR Id had a seriously bad to maybe noluck at all.But commonsense will pull you through.If anyone wouldve told me Id end racing open class with that fast a car.Not to mention the wildman driver most came to see!And theyd stand in the tightest hard corner waiting for my car to toss dirt all over there legs and they loved it! So did I man that was a serious blast!But for the truth myhearts always been with the heli!And what I went to buy way back then!BUT thank GOD and the salesman to talk sense into my then fat wallet and crazed thinkinghead.For the 600.00 then nitro heliboy made in germany.That was a serious ***** to at all fly period.Nothing at all like whats to chice from in afew hundred for all electric!And what out fly the nitro helis hands down.Why not fly electric.Saving big bucks on all the dirty loud and heavy stuff.So you can fly with goodys! Like cameras,lights and floats! And its those that I am after and plan to make my own high powerd mini search light.Along with a set od serious aerodynamic nice floats.Made of balsa then sealed and custom painted to match the rest.So what can anyone tell me for heli to interest as Im all ears!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Druss

Default RE: Need good beginer heli!!

omg... please, please make some paragraphs. what is going on with grammer these days? I can't even begin to start reading that, maybe my eyes are going with old age [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

If you want help then please be considerate.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 AM
boomchank7

LOL. That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, as for the original question (I think there was one up there)[], one option would be to look at the Esky Honey Bee King 2 rather than the Honey Bee 2. It has a belt driven tail which have much more stability than motor driven type tail rotors. Trust me on that one. The motor driven tails are twichy as the devil and therefore difficult to learn on. Ok, I had to edit post here after I re-read the top portion of the OP. I realize that the King 2 is 6 channel format, but it is (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the only cheap 200 size heli I've seen out there with a belt-drive tail. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Druss

omg... please, please make some paragraphs. what is going on with grammer these days? I can't even begin to start reading that, maybe my eyes are going with old age [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

If you want help then please be considerate.

LMAO, I asked my 8 year old grandson to read and translate the O.P. for me. He wants someone to recommend a good first heli, but he would rather have a single rotor heli instead of a co-ax. ( Or something like that )
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I lost my place after the first few hundred words! I am new to Heli's also, but I would reccommend starting with something co-axial. The only ones I've flown are the Blade CX2, and Cx micro. I flew the Cx2 outside just fine, but it wont handle much wind. I've also flown the Blade 400, but it is definitely not a begginer bird.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Ken4

Start with a good sim. I recommend Reflex XTR.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Zosh

Hi,
Im currently flying the honeybee fixed pitch and can say that yes,it's durable,a good trainer, and parts are cheap for repairs. But i have to concur that it is tough learning on it,and it isn't exactly very stable in my opinion.(However i've also heard if you can fly it,you can fly any helicopter out there )

I know many people are going to disagree with me here,cause apparently it isn't worth in upgrading the honeybee,but i'll just have to say that there are tons of upgrades for it,and you can begin learn to upgrade/repair and know more about heli's from here.

I've never flown any other helis before so i can't compare,but for me,it's decent enough to learn on. (I'd probably be getting a hbk2 in a while and hopefully it'll be a lot easier to fly since it's belt driven ^^).
Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Skarn

You said "I am looking for a larger heli that can be flown indoors or out."

Well, the two are mutually exclusive. You won't be flying anthing inside larger than a standard coax like the Blade CX or a small micro like a Honeybee Fixed Pitch.

Skarn
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
mr. ilikehelp

i second what zosh said the hbfp is what i got and i love it. very durable and cheapand way easier to fix than the coaxle
Old 12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
blade_killer

yup, +1 for what Zosh said.....
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
toy4therock

Id like to point out to those of you who cant read very well.I wasnt looking for your damned thoughts about my english or my writting abilitys when that is not what this forum is at all about.IS it now so pack sand up your ass as who needs you or this forum with anyone like you for another bad matter!When it is also obvious you havent been taught about proper behavior!By anyone and still managed to skate by without a serious ass beating is that real shocker!Why I take such offense is do to a large number of idiots different in ways but all arogent all the same.And since you dont know.Arogence is nothing more than showing your ignorant to the point.So heres your grammar you wanted so badly you had to make an ass of yourself then to me for a bad idea!How would anyone care to take advice from another who most likely lives in the bay area and talks with a lisp![>:]
Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Bugzilla

So who's got sand where? Seriously man, if you can't take a little good natured criticism and either use it to improve yourself or just blow it off and keep going, then you don't need to leave the house, because the world is full of it. As far as your OP, the only heli with a tail motor I can really suggest is a Honey Bee fixed pitch. It is cheap to buy, cheap and easy to fix, and will give you the control basis for later moving to a heli that can handle outdoor flight with some breeze. Get that, learn to fly it in a gym or outside on calm days, and while you are doing that, study everything you can about proper setup of CP helis. Go to the local club and see what the heli folks are flying, and pick their brains for setup info, and when you finally get a CP, have one of them either help you set it up, or if you think you have a grasp on it, at the least have one of them inspect it before you put it in the air. You might also consider getting a simulator, as it will speed your learning of orientation. If this didn't answer your questions, then maybe you could break your OP down to nuts and bolts, and post it without all the extra info, because most folks don't like to read those looong posts like that. Peace.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: toy4therock

Id like to point out to those of you who cant read very well.I wasnt looking for your damned thoughts about my english or my writting abilitys when that is not what this forum is at all about.IS it now so pack sand up your ass as who needs you or this forum with anyone like you for another bad matter!When it is also obvious you havent been taught about proper behavior!By anyone and still managed to skate by without a serious ass beating is that real shocker!Why I take such offense is do to a large number of idiots different in ways but all arogent all the same.And since you dont know.Arogence is nothing more than showing your ignorant to the point.So heres your grammar you wanted so badly you had to make an ass of yourself then to me for a bad idea!How would anyone care to take advice from another who most likely lives in the bay area and talks with a lisp![>:]

Wow, you are so mature...the maturity level really shines through!

No one flamed you one bit and they gave decent advice. And if you've been on forums long enough, you'd know there are reasons for using proper paragraphs, spelling etc. It makes it easier for people to help you out when you ask. Remember you are the one asking for help, it's proper courtesy to compose a message that is easy to read for those of us trying to offer help. Yes, it's that simple. I think your post shows just who the ignorant and arrogant one is. (oh yeah, it's arrogance not arogence!)

Skarn

Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
blade_killer

I was going to read that first post but it made my head hurt so I stopped, I figured someone with more patience would read it and help you out....
Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 AM
rasgal

Hi, im new to this forum. I got my Honey Bee FP (im a beginnner) this week. I got into helis trough my father in law, he got his co-axial Bell 47 some while ago. I borrowed it and i got hooked.
I usually do alot research before i buy something, this time i finally landed on a HBFP. The reason for buying HBFP was the videos nuttcaze made, he keeps repeating that your gonna crash if your a beginner. Then i started looking into prices on the parts.

My conclusion after my research was:
Offcourse you can always learn flying on bigger and more expensive helicopters, but chance is that you wallet is gonna get empty before you have learned flying your helicopters.