Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help with picking out Electric RC HELI

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help with picking out Electric RC HELI

Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
EastcoastJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with picking out Electric RC HELI

Looking for a CP RTF Eletric HELI, dont want to spend anymore than about 150.00

I would like to get something that is durable and easy to fly.

I dont want one that is palm size. I was looking at a few and the Axe CPv3 seems to look pretty good for the money. If anyone has any imput on this that would be great.

thanks

Experience:
I have some experience with gas heli and airplanes.
Expert with cars..

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Bugzilla

Default RE: Help with picking out Electric RC HELI

You say some experience with gas heli, what kind of experience are we talking here?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: Bugzilla

You say some experience with gas heli, what kind of experience are we talking here?
Basic. More along the lines of, I understand the concepts of how it works. It was years ago, but I got to the level of hovering .30 and .60 size gas choppers.

Im just looking for a smaller size electric i can use inside. The area is plenty big, but I also want a heli that isnt huge.

thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
omgwtfbbq

I really like my E-Flite Blade CP. It is capable of way more than I am, but it was a little above your price range. I think it was about 200 but that was a few years ago.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: omg***bbq

I really like my E-Flite Blade CP. It is capable of way more than I am, but it was a little above your price range. I think it was about 200 but that was a few years ago.
I am willing to go higher, i just figured that 150 was a fine number because of the heli max,
Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
bad400

ORIGINAL: EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: omg***bbq

I am willing to go higher, i just figured that 150 was a fine number because of the heli max,
honestly i wouldnt do the helimax. not to much help out there for them.
my lhs has ONE and had it for two years now, they cant GIVE it away.
maybe look at the e-flite or esky heli`s.
it is going to be hard to find a GOOD cp heli for a 150 bucks really.
most that i would say are good if not great will start around 300 buck.
i would NOT get any tail motor rotored heli.you want a belt or shaft driven tail rotor.motor tails burn out VERY fast,and are VERY twitchy.

you could get a kit starting around 35 buck`s then build it yourself.you still spend around 300 dollars just in electronics/radio package.

but you would do better staying in the 450 class of heli`s, there bigger and more stable. and parts for most like the e-flite and esky are cheap.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Daddyo314

what do you think about the Falcon 400 v2? is it a good priced heli and responsive.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
bad400

ORIGINAL: Daddyo314

what do you think about the Falcon 400 v2? is it a good priced heli and responsive.
i dont know if your asking me or not.
but if its an art-tech or exceed heli i would NOT buy one.
whats your price range. honest price range.
and if you give me a few details on what you want to get out of the heli, i bet i could find you something that you could enjoy for years.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Skarn

Looking for a CP RTF Eletric HELI, dont want to spend anymore than about 150.00

I would like to get something that is durable and easy to fly.
I dont want one that is palm size. I was looking at a few and the Axe CPv3 seems to look pretty good for the money. If anyone has any imput on this that would be great.

thanks

Experience:
I have some experience with gas heli and airplanes.
Expert with cars..
Like Bug said, you won't find very much in your price range....what you will find are all of the micro heli's like you mention. But in BOLD you said "easy to fly". If you want easy to fly and learn on, I HIGHLY recommend you stay away from ANY micro heli, especially the motor driven tail ones like the Blade CP or Axe CP....at a bare minimium I recommend the Blade 400. But a good Trex 450 clone can be built for about the same price and you put your own quality electronics in.

Good luck,
Skarn

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
EastcoastJJ

yea im not really looking to spend 450 on a small helicopter to use inside. So i guess i should now consider a fixed pitch for now.

So i guess im now wondering which one would be the closest to a regular copter?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
bad400

get the honey bee
Old 03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
N1pster

Honey Bee

2 words

Tail Motor
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: bad400

get the honey bee
Saw a couple people post, that they wouldn't tell their worst enemy to get one of those. Do you guys disagree?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
matty_p80

EastcoastJJ: if you're wanting a heli that will be (comparatively) easy to fly, has everything to get you started and will be enough even when you start getting 'good', then you really can't go wrong with the Blade 400! it especially has the DX6i which will serve you when/if you decide to broaden your hangar!!

like everyone has stated here, you will want to avoid a heli with a tail motor as it ends up being false economy. $150 for a CP heli of moderate size is going to be just that!!!

i have found a really cheap place for the B400 (even cheaper than what i got one for!!) [link=http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Products/E-Flite_2/EFLH1400-Blade-400-3D-RTF-Electric-Mini-Helicopter]Hobby Warehouse-B400[/link] if you are interested!!

whatever you choose (and after all the decision is yours) have fun, be safe and enjoy

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: matty_p80

EastcoastJJ: if you're wanting a heli that will be (comparatively) easy to fly, has everything to get you started and will be enough even when you start getting 'good', then you really can't go wrong with the Blade 400! it especially has the DX6i which will serve you when/if you decide to broaden your hangar!!

like everyone has stated here, you will want to avoid a heli with a tail motor as it ends up being false economy. $150 for a CP heli of moderate size is going to be just that!!!

i have found a really cheap place for the B400 (even cheaper than what i got one for!!) [link=http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Products/E-Flite_2/EFLH1400-Blade-400-3D-RTF-Electric-Mini-Helicopter]Hobby Warehouse-B400[/link] if you are interested!!

whatever you choose (and after all the decision is yours) have fun, be safe and enjoy

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
ok, i have come to a couple conclusions.
1. NO Tail Motors
2. Dont buy a cheap CP chopper

so now im at the point of either picking a 400 dollar cp chopper, or a co-axial for 150-200. Everyone agreed not to buy a cheap cp,
; understood.

Also as far as size. Overall I would like the length to be somewhere in the range of 13-26" (nose to end of tail)

So where to go from here? Sorry for all the post, im just not trying to throw away a few hundred on trial and error....

Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
bad400

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
1. NO Tail Motors

so now im at the point of either picking a 400 dollar cp chopper, or a co-axial for 150-200. Everyone agreed not to buy a cheap cp,
; understood.

Also as far as size. Overall I would like the length to be somewhere in the range of 13-26" (nose to end of tail)

So where to go from here? Sorry for all the post, im just not trying to throw away a few hundred on trial and error....

look your not going to get anything but a co-axial or a honey bee fixed pitch heli for your price range
there is ALOT of people that have the honey bee.
i wouldnt tell MY worst enemy to buy any exceed or art-tech heli`s,or heli-max
a co-axail WILL help you in the basic radio function. like nose in hovers,side in hovers. but they really dont fly like a cp or fp.
you WILL NOT find any GOOD cp heli`s for 150 bucks, they just dont have any on the market.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
EastcoastJJ

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
1. NO Tail Motors

; understood.

look your not going to get anything but a co-axial or a honey bee fixed pitch heli for your price range
there is ALOT of people that have the honey bee.
i wouldnt tell MY worst enemy to buy any exceed or art-tech heli`s,or heli-max
a co-axail WILL help you in the basic radio function. like nose in hovers,side in hovers. but they really dont fly like a cp or fp.
you WILL NOT find any GOOD cp heli`s for 150 bucks, they just dont have any on the market.
I totally understand that i wont get a cp or fp that is of any quality. That was #2 in my previous post....

That is why i stated that i will either spend 400 for a cp or spend 150 for a coaxial..
all was stated in my last post.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Skarn

yea im not really looking to spend 450 on a small helicopter to use inside. So i guess i should now consider a fixed pitch for now.

Bro, unless you have a gym, you won't be flying anything other than a coaxial inside! Even the HBFP is not suited for indoor flying....unless like I said you have a gym or very large garage.

Skarn
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: Skarn

Bro, unless you have a gym, you won't be flying anything other than a coaxial inside! Even the HBFP is not suited for indoor flying....unless like I said you have a gym or very large garage.

Skarn
I dont really get how you can say that. That seems to be a very broad; general statement. There are hundreds if not thousands of videos of people flying these inside places other than gyms with no problems.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
bad400

the term FLYING doesnt mean hovering
actual flying needs room.
aw never mind youve asked the same question in every post.keep argueing about the answers you get, people will stop answering your question`s
you ask for a GOOD 150 dollar cp heli, everyone said theres no such beast.
you asked what to get then, people answered and you said you dont want to waste money.
so heres your choice`s a co-axail or a honey bee.
even with these heli`s you`ll NEVER actually FLY in your house. you may hover, you may do some real real short foward flight, you might even do some figure 8`s, but ACTUAL FLYING not going to happen.
i hover my blade 400 all day long in my house, but is that flying? NO
i play with my 5#10 in my house but is that flying? NO
so sense you dont want to waste 400 dollars on a heli that WILL fly, then get what ever 150 dollar heli you can find, and PLAY with it.
then when your ready for FLYING spend ANOTHER 400 bucks and get something that can do that
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
EastcoastJJ

aw never mind youve asked the same question in every post.keep argueing about the answers you get, people will stop answering your question`s
you asked what to get then, people answered and you said you dont want to waste money.
even with these heli`s you`ll NEVER actually FLY in your house. you may hover, you may do some real real short foward flight, you might even do some figure 8`s, but ACTUAL FLYING not going to happen.
so sense you dont want to waste 400 dollars on a heli that WILL fly, then get what ever 150 dollar heli you can find, and PLAY with it.
then when your ready for FLYING spend ANOTHER 400 bucks and get something that can do that
Im not arguing about the answers im receiving. I am simply getting confused due to the fact that many people have a totally different opinion on what to get.

I originally asked for a cp for 150, and then steered away from that when i realized it was unreasonable.

The dont waste money comment, you clearly took it the wrong way. I simply stated that i did not want to spend money on testing different copters. This is why i am on this forum. Im asking questions. As far as your statement "people will stop answering your question" Thats fine! If im bothering anyone they do not have to reply!

And you dont need a Gym in order to fly a 12 inch helicopter.. Sorry, I never said i would be flying it in my kitchen, living room, basement or bathroom; I simply stated inside.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Daddyo314

i paid $179 for the hlei, it is an acrobatic heli, 6 channel. Transmitter has pitch range centering and pitch curve end point adjustment knobs, and an Idle-up switch for aerobatic and inverted flight modes. i want to learn how to fly and eventially do inverted stunts, just have fun i guess and enjoy what ever i can with it. i guess i could afford at the time about $250. what aer your thoughts? thanks for the help
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
bad400

ORIGINAL: Daddyo314

i paid $179 for the hlei, it is an acrobatic heli, 6 channel. Transmitter has pitch range centering and pitch curve end point adjustment knobs, and an Idle-up switch for aerobatic and inverted flight modes. i want to learn how to fly and eventially do inverted stunts, just have fun i guess and enjoy what ever i can with it. i guess i could afford at the time about $250. what aer your thoughts? thanks for the help
what heli did you get?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
bad400

Im not arguing about the answers im receiving. I am simply getting confused due to the fact that many people have a totally different opinion on what to get.

I originally asked for a cp for 150, and then steered away from that when i realized it was unreasonable.

The dont waste money comment, you clearly took it the wrong way. I simply stated that i did not want to spend money on testing different copters. This is why i am on this forum. Im asking questions. As far as your statement "people will stop answering your question" Thats fine! If im bothering anyone they do not have to reply!

And you dont need a Gym in order to fly a 12 inch helicopter.. Sorry, I never said i would be flying it in my kitchen, living room, basement or bathroom; I simply stated inside.

there are a few good heli`s staring at $250 or better.these are helis with good parts support.
now if you went with an e-flite product chance`s are you could run to your lhs and get parts..
you can do 3d in a 50 by 50 room with a 15 to 20 foot ceiling. thats if your GOOD.
a person just stating out a football field will seem to small.

come on lets be real here, what do YOU want in your first heli?
then you can make a better acessment on how much to spend and what to spend it on.
i cant remember where but there is a vendor here in the states that carry the skyartec brand heli. the wasp v3 6 channel is going for like $239, ive seen on youtube all the factory video`s on these heli`s they look really nice. now i dont have one but if i had the money i would.