Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Lama v4 problem (flies forward diagonally)

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Lama v4 problem (flies forward diagonally)

Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
slimpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lama v4 problem (flies forward diagonally)

Hey,

I recently bought a used lama v4 and have been experiencing the following problem. Lama isn't very stable (moves to sides) and flies diagonally forward when trying to fly forward. I visited two RC stores. One determined that the swashplate may be loose, and the second couldn't find a cause (no mechanical issues though). The swashplate is level and I've tried trimming the heli. I have xtreme blades and inner shaft on. Maybe a switch to standard plastic e-sky inner shaft would solve the issue?

Thanks, Paul

P.S. here's a photo of how I have to control my lama to fly fairly straight forward.

edit: forgot to add that the tail is shaking and there are minor cracks in the canopy
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
slimpaul

Default RE: Lama v4 problem (flies forward diagonally)

I changed the inner shaft from xtreme to standard plastic e-sky and noticed a slight improvement, but lama still drifts a bit to the side while going forward.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
RedGN

There are many factors in play here. Have the blade been balanced? I the balancer balanced?
There are two pots in the 4 in 1 receiver that can be adusted ( look in manual )
The canopy being cracked has no effect.
Have you upgraded to cnc parts? I would upgrade the inner shaft and the swash plate ( i had a stock swashplate spit in half )
Are all the screw tight?
Check outer shaft for balance. The slightest bend will make heli shake.
If heli still drifts, adust linkages to suit.

When installing the battery...do not move heli for a few seconds to allow gyro to stabilze.

This is just about everthing you can do on this helicopter.
Hope this helps
Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 AM
FLYGUY09

I had a related problem in that I couldn't get the heli to move forward. I found out that when I applied forward cyclic one of the servos wouldn't stay in place (they're held in place with double sided tape) and thus it didn't tilt the swashplate correctly instead the servo case tilted outward proportionally and the heli had very poor forward motion.

Take off the canopy and check if your servos have broken free from E-Sky's kick *** double sided tape design. Also, you need to check your servo arm angles at rest. The servo arms should be 90 degrees angles compared to the swashplate linkages, so make any adjustments necessary. Also check to see if the servos are giving you full range of motion.

If you still can't figure it out....take off the canopy and shoot us a quick video showing us how the servos & swash moves as you apply cyclic maybe we can see a problem that you're not describing to us.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
slimpaul

Here are 3 photos of the lama, and a video of the swashplate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPBNVI8ZfBU[/youtube]
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
FLYGUY09

I didn't see a flybar on your heli...do you have one? I didn't see anything wrong with the swash or servo movement.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Balr14

Check for a seperated swashplate.Aileron servo movement doesn't look adequate, but it's hard to tell. You should also adjust the linkage on your flybar. Check the blade position with the flybar level.