Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Hovering head in woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
raptor fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hovering head in woes

Hi I have been flying for over a half of a year with both a raptor 30 and a honeybee fp.And i still cant hover head in.There aint no instructers aroundhere either.My sim isnt the best and it locks up our pc.So i would really appreciate some help.What should do?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
DustinB

Default RE: Hovering head in woes

Can you hover with the heli facing left or right in front of you? Practice tail in hovering, turn the plane left and practice hovering, then the plane left again to be nose in and practice hovering, etc.. Keep turning 90 degrees at a time til you can get all orientations. Give yourself some altitude when you do. This will should keep the orientations fresh in your mind and hands when you only change the orientation slightly. Really the main thing I can say is practice practice practice.

What flight sim are you using? I use realflight g4.5 myself, helped me to be a much better plane and heli pilot. Crashes are alot cheaper as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
phillipmorris

Been flying only weeks now and the nose in also gives me fits, I can do a solid tail hover things facing away as all orientation is as expected, another note, these CPS are not forgiving on any wrong inputs and require continual movements, make a longer learning curve here, believe the side manuver is in order at the start and progress slowly, but I'm hardly there yet, hi hi...any other learning methods out there greatly appreciated..Tnx BEST ..<>..
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
raptor fan

I can hover facing sideways fairly well but not that well.The dumb stock thunder tiger engien is giving me only problems.So i think i will by a os .37.Is that a good idea?My sim is just the esky one.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start by hovering tail in, then move to the right so you are about 45 degrees on the side. Then move to the left until you are 45 degrees on the side. When you can do this all the way to 90 degrees side on, start by hovering a little higher. Say about 20 to 30 feet up. Keep getting a little higher each flight. When you are up there, this is the scary part, do a prioette. Just a single piro. That way you do nose in for just a fraction of a second. Now start hovering side in to the right then piro to the left and hold a side in hover to the left. As you get better you start by starting a piro, then stop it at the nose in part. Hold for a couple heart beats, then spin it around.

That is how I learned nose in. Remember that to counter act the movement ov the helicopter, just move the stick in the direction that the helicopter is moving.

Dru.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM
raptor fan

Thanks for the advise..I need yo by a engine for my raptor 30 caus the stock was a piece of crap.[&o].ive heard the os .37 is the best so thats what im aiming for.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a little trick I did to help a friend learn. I put a bright red piece of tape across the right skids on the helicopter, and a small piece on the right side of the Tx. Then told him , before spooling up to just repeat in his mind, " red is right, red is right, red is right".  Then no matter what way the heli is turned, just remember that " red is right" and whether the heli is tail in or nose in your brain will just seem to automatically tell you to move the stick toward the red or away without having to think about which is left and which is right.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
DustinB

ORIGINAL: jerrymac

Here is a little trick I did to help a friend learn. I put a bright red piece of tape across the right skids on the helicopter, and a small piece on the right side of the Tx. Then told him , before spooling up to just repeat in his mind, " red is right, red is right, red is right". Then no matter what way the heli is turned, just remember that " red is right" and whether the heli is tail in or nose in your brain will just seem to automatically tell you to move the stick toward the red or away without having to think about which is left and which is right.
Hey, that's a pretty clever idea. Kinda similar to what I did when I was learning to fly planes. When headed nose in I would repeat low wing, low wing, but as you said, this works for any orientation.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 PM
raptor fan

That sounds great..Ill do that.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 PM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

One other thing that helped me learn to fly ( and btw I am still learning too,lol) has to do with the elevator input. Instead of trying to think of the helicopter as going forward or backward , then trying to correct , I just think of the nose needing to be 'pulled up' or 'pushed down'.
In other words, it don't matter which way the heli is facing, or even if it is inverted, just pull back on the stick to pull the nose up toward the rotors, and push forward on the stick to push the nose down toward the skids.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
rc-jj

Jerrymac ...me likes me likes me likes ...so simple but even sitting here at work i can see just how that is so going to help me ...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
evilhorse

get the .37 you'll be happy. i had one on my 30V2, reliable, easy as cake to tune, and man did that engine PULL.
wind the head up to 1900 rpm and watch it rock.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 PM
evilhorse

get the .37 you'll be happy. i had one on my 30V2, reliable, easy as cake to tune, and man did that engine PULL.
wind the head up to 1900 rpm and watch it rock.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Mack66

You may find this a bit silly, but I find it very instructive. Try http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...7A4FEADE61ABE5

Mickey uses the principle of skidding on the ground while you get your head straight. He uses training gear, but I'm beyond that on my CX2, and besides, we have tile floors in the house that allow me to skid my heli around smoothly. Using his training suggestions I am now skidding my bird around on its skids and steering it using rudder only except when I need to reposition it using gentle aileron cyclic to sideslip. It works well and removes rotor wash effects from the system until I've got confidence with my orentation.

I'm also using FMS with the CX2 model and the analog audio cable with my Tx. Works pretty well enough to work on nose in orientaton at least.

My plan is to repeat repeat and repeat until I react instinctively.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning here.

Mack

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
raptor fan

That looks interesting,Ill have to take a look at those. Thanks