Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

which would be better?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

which would be better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM
raptor fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would be better?

I do not have a good electric cp heli yet and i was wondering wich would be better?The blade 400 rtf or the exceede rc blueray450 pe rx ready.If i got the blueray i would get it rxr and buy the dx6i so the better tx with the 400 isnt the deciding factor.Like ive heard that some of the bluerays parts are interchangeable with the trex and that it a little more stable.Any advise would be nice.Thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Balr14

Default RE: which would be better?

They both requireupgrades; inferior servos and gyros won't last. They both have parts compatibility with Trex 450, which may or may not be a good thing. I've seen some B400 parts that are cheaper than Align parts. The push/pull servo arm configuration used on the B400 should have less flex and more precision than the single servo arms used on most Trex clones. The aluminumused on this heli and allTrex clones is soft and easy to strip threads. The skids will bend, too. You don't want aluminum head parts and CF blades unless you have a fair amount of experience withthis type heli. They don't have any give and will transmit damage in a crash. I don't know where you got the idea any Trex clone is more stable.

I'd buy the B400 because you know exactly what you are getting where the quality of the clones can be very unpredictable. If you really want a stable 450 that handles well, the TT mini titan has a superior head design and is a better heli.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
raptor fan

Thanks for the advice.I really wasnt sure.Would the mini titan be better than the blade?Or how about a real trex.Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Balr14

I think the mini titan is better than a B400. It's head design and adjustability is superior. A Trex V2 or Trex Shaftdrive is better than the clones or B400. But, the B400 is a good choice for a first 450 because it has LHS support and parts availability. You might want to take a look atthe HK450, buy 2 of them (one for spare parts). Perfect for a beginner. Check the price: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8467
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mini titan is a nice stable heli most of the time ( I have heartd that some people have constant issues wijth keeping the blades tracking straight).  I have one and love the way it flies but don’t like the Heli. Its got tiny ball links that are a constant pain in the backside. I’m also starting to have problems with blade tracking.

As for the HK450 I also own a couple of these. They most certainly are not for a beginner.  They are not particularly stable.The plastic head will break very easily ( the quality of the plastic is not that good).  At some point you will run into problems that are difficult for a beginner to handle. If you do go the HK450 rout I’d suggest replacing the head and tail with CNC upgrades.

Another option you may want to consider is getting something closer in size to your raptor. A Trex 500 EXI 500  or Hurricane 550. It will handle more like the 30 you fly.  

Old 05-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Balr14

Nice info about the HK450. I've seen a number of people saying how great they are, but I had my doubts.The clones I've hadvary widely in quality andusually use inferior materials. Ididn't know you already flew a raptor, Ithought your name meant youliked dinosaurs. Inthat case, I'd pick a Swift 16.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
ea01bg

Blar14
You might want to take a look atthe HK450, buy 2 of them (one for spare parts). Perfect for a beginner.
You realy shouldnt be recomending thinks you havent even tried or even seen 1st hand. You just recommended a swift 16 do you have one , have you seen one?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
raptor fan

I really like the sound of 500 hundred size helis its just the price.My raptor is a v1 and has not been the best flying exsperance.I boght it for dirt cheap from a guy who didnt fly it any more and i have had to replace half the parts .The .36 it has in it is junk and am going to put a os wonce i have the money.I think i am going to be looking at electrics becaus they are simpler .(not having to tune the engine and buying fuel).Thier are not very many heli pilots around here.The closest one i no of is 2hrs away.Is the trex 500 a good heli?I like the sound of it.thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
ea01bg

I personely havent flown one but I have a buddy that has one. He likes it. There are also a few clones out but I havent seen any myself.

You may be able to find a used hurricane 550 if you poke around a bit on this and other forumns. They make great training Helis, very stable. As I understand it the SA (plastic framed version) doesnt make a good 3d heli, frame flex causes problems. I have the CF version and have afew years on it and its aways been a good machine. Anotherthing I liked is they are designed to use to2 3 cell packs so I didnt have to get a6 cell charger at the time all I had was a poly 4.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Balr14

ORIGINAL: ea01bg

Blar14
You might want to take a look atthe HK450, buy 2 of them (one for spare parts). Perfect for a beginner.
You realy shouldnt be recomending thinks you havent even tried or even seen 1st hand. You just recommended a swift 16 do you have one , have you seen one?
Didn't mean to be appearing to recommend it, justpointing it out as an option because of the price and previous mention of Trex clones. I don't owna Swift 16, but my nephewdoes and I've flown it a number of times.Ithought it had more stability and felt more fluid than other helis I've flown. Itfelt comfortable very quickly, if that makes any sense. Subsequent investigation showed a lot of people agree with me. Just trying to help. Didn't mean to invade your territory, I'llleave. Good bye and good flying.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
ea01bg

Your certainly not invading anyones territory feel free to stick around, the waters fine I just hate to see people recommend products that they have not had any experiance with.  Please share your views and opinions but I would suggest limiting your advise to iteams that you know like the swift or at least make it clear that your using second hand knowlage.  One of the most frustrating things about the forumns is having to sort out information from misinformation.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
ea01bg

Balr14
Did your nephew add the third bearing block? I friend has one I'm not sure if its an early version but he had a problem with it pie panning in hover. after trying a lot of things like swapping out the bearings the final fix was to add an optional 3rd bearing block. But as far as I know its not a common problem.