Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Buying a belt v2

Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Craig_SA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a belt v2

Hello all,

First post - and Iam a total noob to this world!

I have pretty much settled on buying the Esky belt cp v2 - 2.4ghz, so that question is out of the way. Iam from South Africa andwill be buying from USA / China.

1)Ineed a reliable supplier that will ship internationally - any suggestions. It would also be great if they would be prepared to open the box and check that all is in order and perhaps even test fly and tweak it for me.
2) The shipping seems to be in the region of $50 to $70, so while Iam buying, Ineed to get everything, so what are the spares that Imust order. Ican get locally, so it is not the end of the world if Idon't have every last spare.
3)Iwill be taking the option of the training kit and simulator.

What other suggestions?

Thank you
Craig
Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
USHobbySupply

Default RE: Buying a belt v2

I would be willing to help
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
FLYGUY09

For Esky Belt CPV2 parts? Well, my personal experiences are with the following stores that I've listed in order as my favorites:

USHobbySupply - superb customer service and EVERY order I've made was shipped within 24 hrs and received in less than 4 days.
Jag Hobbies(USsupplier) - Best list of esky parts for the belt v2, but they take their time getting it shipped it seems.
Toy RC(HonkKong) - cheapest of them all by far (like 30-50% cheaper on just about any part)buttakes10 days.

I have by chance also found out that the head on the Belt CPV2 & the King III are identicle....so if a store has noinventorylistedfor a specific part for the V2, they mayhave some listed under King 3.

I would order 1 of every part in the head&tail.I would also get two (2)5.5 mm hex socket wrench for tightening the main blade clamps to the feathering shaft(which is a very common repair).Lastly for tools, you need ball link pliers, pitch gage, red threadlock and a medium CAglue.Use CA for all screws into plastic and red threadlock for all screws into aluminum.....that should be one of the 1st things you do with the heli.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
FLYGUY09

We Belt CP v2 owners have started a thread that by now has a good bit of info for all new owners. I highly suggest going through it all: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8351511/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]E-SKY subforum - Belt CP V2 thread[/link]
Old 05-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Craig_SA

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm busy browsing through the other thread right now.

Michael, I have sent you a PM. Thank you for the kind offer.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM
FLYGUY09

Michael is very committed to his operation and you can't go wrong dealing with him.

Also, feel free to post to the Belt CP V2 thread and share your experiences with us!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Craig_SA

What else do Ineed to buy with this package in terms of chargers etc? What is not in the box that Ineed to spec?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
FLYGUY09

I would get:

*Up to two additional lipo batteries (20 to 30C rating and up to 2200 mAh)
*A lipo charger system
*Lipo balancer (this could be integrated with the charger or a separate piece of equipment....doesn't matter so long as it's used)

The stock charger supplied is of low quality so it is worth it to upgrade for this heli and for any other RC units you'll get down the road using lipo batteries.

The C rating explains how many amps the battery can discharge/charge at.....the higher the better, but a thorough knowledge of battery size and C rating/motor/ESC combinations are a must at some point. These systems are electrical and you need to figure out how it all works in unison sooner rather than later.

The mAh (milliamps/hour) is a reference to battery capacity. The higher the mAh the more "juice" it can store giving you longer flight times between charges.

There are a few more things that this heli could stand to have upgraded such as the speed controller, the servos & gyro.....but for now, being new to this hobby and all, it is OK to use middle of the road gear on this heli and once you become a better pilot it would support spending more $$ on the electronics.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Blitzer Fan

Well if your buying the RTFpackage then theres no need to buy a new charger and battery is there?
it comes with a charger and a battery - just buy another one (total of 2) ..some blades training kit MAYBE some CNC parts for when you break your plastics...
but yeh...electric heli's isnt a really big thing in SA is it?
Im from there and I only knew about the nitro planes...
anyway good luck..im also gonna buy this and take it to Capetown this summer(winter in south africa)holiday when i go back to our beach house

i just hope airport etc wont give me much problems from UKto SA
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
FLYGUY09

Blitzer Fan - the stock E-sky charger is just terrible for regular use. They have been known to over-charge & most of the time are unable to keep a tight range of cell voltages which results in a shorter lifespan and in some cases damage. However, I have kept mine since they do work nicely in bringing back to life an over-dishcarged Li-Po battery that my expensive, fancy pants charger wouldn't charge. In that case I used the stock charger for 2 or 3 minutes to bring the voltage up then used my main charger/balancer system.

But the real reason behind my advice is simply that Li-Po battery charging & use is serious stuff. I have seen videos of these battery packs literally exploding from over-charging....they ended up flaming out & spewed noxious fumes. I have read of cars & houses being damaged by fires started from these little buggers.

A good charging & balancing system is inherently safer, prolongs battery life and maintains the battery capacity.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 PM
brainox

hi fly,
its possible though to use another charger right? one with balancer would be good.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 AM
FLYGUY09

brainox - Yes I've been charging the stock E-sky battery with an much better/safer charger & balancer system with no issues to report.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Blitzer Fan

is there a serious risk using the stock charger then?..because if i buy the RTF i dont wanto spend another £30-40 on a charger...
Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 PM
FLYGUY09

For me personally, I could not forgive myself if my hobby brought that chinese trash into my house that caused ANY concerns whatsoever with the well being of my wife, kids, house or car. So to me yeah it's worth it to spend the extra $$ on a quality charging & balancing system. That was my personal choice. Can I guarantee any given stock e-sky charger will blow up your lipo? No, they are probably safer than the implied. But I believe the odds are that the money spent on a decent charger system WILL result in a safer & better option for you and your lipo batteries.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
zacsparrow

is this [link=http://www.twift.com/RC%20Toys%20&%20Hobby/Skyartec%20WASP%20V2%20-%204%20Channel%20RC%20Helicopter.html]Wasp V2[/link] considered as belt driven / collective pitch?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Blitzer Fan

Belt Driven No / CP apears so