Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

looking for 1st chopper

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

looking for 1st chopper

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:49 AM
flying.RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for 1st chopper

I dont have much money to spend. I have a small electric that was given to me by a friend, dont know the name of the chopper, but it was hard to fly at first. My friend says I need to step up to a real chooper now, so I'm looking around for what would give me the biggest bang for my bucks.
There is someone selling a new Concept60 with a os engin and a futaba radio and gyro for $500. is that a good price? My friend says he'll help me set up what ever i get. I am just begining, but i dont want something that I'll have to get rid of when I get better. I want it to last me a while.

Thank you!!
John

Old 11-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: looking for 1st chopper

I dont have much money to spend
Aw, do we ever?

Hi John,

I guess the first thing to ask yourself is do you want nitro or electric, not the first deal that comes along. This first decision will dictate where you fly. I fly electric and so notice that I have the luxury to fly at just about any open field that I can find. My bud flies a Trex 600 nitro and is limited to an AMA sanctioned field. I also notice that he has a lot of support equipment he must bring for his nitro, has it all in a nice field box. I'm sounding a bit biased aren't I? However, he can fly all day as long as his fuel doesn't run out whereas I am limited by the amount of batteries I have. So there are trade-offs.

For me, I had to try out heli's first to see if they were something that I was going to want to stick with - so jumping in and spending a few hundered dollars at first wasn't something I wanted to do. I started off with a simple coaxial type heli by Eflight (a Blade CX2) and went from there. It was small enough to fly indoors and could handle being outside with really no wind. But it was fun, inexpensive, and a good way to "test the heli waters".

Of course I was hooked and so went the route of small collective pitch heli (Blade CP) then a bit bigger collective pitch heli (Trex 450). And that is where I'm at now. But that was for me. I am sure you will get lots of opinions on both electrics and nitro's but in the end you need to decide what you feel is best for your particular situation, and yes, you will spend some money before it's over!

Good luck,

Mark
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM
atcNick

I fly electric and so notice that I have the luxury to fly at just about any open field that I can find. My bud flies a Trex 600 nitro and is limited to an AMA sanctioned field.
Is that a law or something or is that just personal preference?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

No law Nick,

I was just mentioning that 600 size nitro's really need a good amount of space to fly in and around here public space is at a minimum. That was my only reason for bring up the AMA field - it provides a convinent and protected space to fly at with no worry about public bystanders wandering into your flying area.

Mark
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
flying.RC

I have my my electric heli right now, the one that was given to me. The electric is really nice, but I really like the nitros. That is what I originally saw and that is what got me hooked. I fly on the simulator and I fly the little electric at our field. I don't really care to fly by myself. so I don't mind going to the field to fly. I also worry about the liability as you pointed out w/ people being curious and wandering over. As I understand it, AMA wont cover any liability if your not at the sanctioned fields. The little electric dosen't seem so dangerious being quiet and all, but it seems like it could still do some serious damage to someone.
I do reaqlly like the smoke and the sound of the nitros though.
Thanks for all the input thus far!

John
Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM
matty_p80

John go for the concept60!

it's a good deal and it sounds like you've bin doin some tinking! it's good that you have a flying field/club nearby but before you make that first investment check out the club, see what others are flying and what experience of different helis there is so that you will have some help (generally, the old 'uns will have probably tried/owned everything that's been around between them )

enjoy, get a simulator and have fun!!

Matty ){}}}}]@>