Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New to helicopter hobby need advise

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New to helicopter hobby need advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
trottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to helicopter hobby need advise

I've been flying rc airplanes for 25 years and looking for a helicopter to fly in my back yard. Looking for an electric helicopter that won't break the bank and don't want one of those little 4 inch heli's either. I'd like to find something that comes with a radio too. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
DreamHeliProducts

Default RE: New to helicopter hobby need advise

My favorite in that range is the CX2 by E-Flite
Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Mack66

I started with an e-Flite Blade CX2 as well. It's pretty fun for learning basics indoors, but is very difficult to fly outdoors without modifications and dead calm conditions (a rarety in Houston). Still it's lots of fun to fly, and parts are relatively inexpensive. A good thing because it breaks pretty easily when you crash. And you will crash a lot.

Also, even indoors it creates enough rotor wash to make its own wind and will sometimes redirect your bird in directions you didn't anticipate. If you have access to a local gym, that would be ideal. You can do some things in a two-car garage as well.

I went from the CX2 directly to a 50 Nitro Hirobo Sceadu which does well in 15mph winds and flies stable as a rock, so can't help you in the next class up of electrics, but you might do well moving up to a collective pitch belted tail rotor design right off, given your past experience.

Good luck. You will get hooked and forever be wanting more helis!

Mack
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 AM
heeleytony

Hi just got 2nd hand honney bee 2 off ebay and watched vids on utube on set up, got blades level position at half throttle but as i increase throttle swash plate rises and pitch decreases, is this right or is somthing wrong?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
drobin

Something like the cypher or trex clone. I have a copterx450 and trex450 and I have them set up the same, electronics also. You have to look around in your price range.Parts are available for all I listed.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Beachcomber

I think my 450 is a little too large to fly in most backyards. You could hover but won't be able to do any forward flight at all. Besides as a beginner you should expect to have a few accidents along the way, and IMO a CP (Collective Pitch) heli like the 450 is more difficult to repair than FP (Fixed Pitch).

For your first heli, I recommend a 4 channel Co-Ax, which is Fixed Pitch. Larger will be able to handle a little wind (4 to 6 mph), smaller ones won't handle any wind. Maybe the E-Sky Big Lama, aprox 20 inches long. Just don't get too aggressive with it or you'll get blades striking each other. One of the larger E-Flight would also be good.

Some folks might recommend skipping the Co-Ax and starting with a 4 channel Single Rotor, but still Fixed Pitch. Like the Honey Bee FP.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
[email protected]

I've been raceing rc-cars and flying plains for a good while know but am wanting to try my hand at helis but dont know much about them don't want to go broke doing it my thinking is try to find good used one don't want a great big one but dont want a micro either do u go cheap at first until u learn how to fly it or do u wind up regretting that because ugot $ in something that knowbody wants and then u have to starte all over. just looking for some helpfull advise
Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Beachcomber

rlyons,
It's a difficult question to answer. On the one hand, a larger heli is more stable, so that would be good for a beginner. But on the other hand, a larger heli is more intimidating to a beginner, and a lot more expensive to repair after a crash.

I advise folks to start with an inexpensive heli that is easy to repair and also easy to drop in the trash if unrepairable. Think of it as a sacrificial trainer. After you get comfortable at tail-in hover, then you can move up to something a little nicer.

As for buying used, I have no experience with that, but would caution you to make sure you know what you're buying or at least know who you are buying from. I've read reports on forums, folks buying used and then discovering the heli is very worn out and needs total rebuild (motors, head assembly, shaft, bearings, etc, and maybe electronics like servos, speed controls).
Old 12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
2Funky

I've got a question on this subject. This man has 25 years experience flying planes yet he is treated like he has never held a transmitter. I would expect some kind of learning curve but doesnt stick time count for anything. I only ask because I am in a similar position having flown planes for quite a while and now looking for something to fly without packing up all the gear to head for a field.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2Funky

I've got a question on this subject. This man has 25 years experience flying planes yet he is treated like he has never held a transmitter. I would expect some kind of learning curve but doesnt stick time count for anything. I only ask because I am in a similar position having flown planes for quite a while and now looking for something to fly without packing up all the gear to head for a field.
Well, read his post again.

ORIGINAL: trottle

I've been flying rc airplanes for 25 years and looking for a helicopter to fly in my back yard. Looking for an electric helicopter that won't break the bank and don't want one of those little 4 inch heli's either. I'd like to find something that comes with a radio too. Can anyone help? Thanks
He might have 25 years of experience, but his question is worded like a person that has never held a radio on his hands. At least it seems like he has not even taken the time to do a bit of research on the subject. So I have to agree somewhat with the above suggestions. I will never suggest a specific brand tho.

In your case, I have to say that yes, stick time translates a little. But only when you get to forward flight. In helis you have to hover before you fly forward. And to get to hover, you have to do away with many pre-programmed reflexes that you might have developed flying fixed wing. So in any case, it COULD be a draw back for the people that have fixed wing experience.

Now I ask you both, what do you want to do? If your intention is ONLY to go to the back yard and fly then a 450 or smaller is the ticket for you. If you want to get some more, then something larger might be in store.

Then come the question about power, do you want electric, glow, gas or bigger? With electric, you either have a lot of batteries, or have a charging station. A charging station will start to resemble a field box the bigger your helicopter gets. With glow, you can actually use your existing field box, as the glow driver, starter and related equipment can be used with glow helis. The ultimate machines are the gas and turbine. When I had my gasser, all I carried to the field was the heli, radio and gas jug. Just fuel, pull start and fly. No starter, glow driver, or other equipment required. Maybe a battery charger for the receiver battery.

Something that has not been mentioned is goals. The heli you want is dependent on the type of goals you have for yourself. If you want to be the next 3D master, you do not want to start with a fixed pitch coaxial helicopter. If all you want is do is circles around the couch, you will not start with a fire breathing 90 3D monster.

Also budget. Although is was alluded to, budget plays a major role in your heli selection. You can assemble a pretty good helicopter with $200, but what about replacement parts? What about survivability of those parts? What about wear of those parts? Initial cost is only one side of the question, maintenance and upkeep is another huge cost that some people forget. I prefer to go with a more recognized brand than to spend my money twice.

So, here it is. Do a little more research for yourself, and ask yourself the question about size, power, goals, and budget. The answer to the question about which heli, will be staring at you in the face if you are honest and specific enough.

Rafael

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Beachcomber

Hey Throttle,
In spite of how some other posts might sound, I welcome you to the heli side of our hobby. Can't understand why anyone would not want you feel welcome. Most of us are nice guys, really.

I respect your 25 years flying RC aircraft, and don't see anything in your post to cause a negative reply. There are many things your experience can teach us. Please don't go away.

My thought on your question, is to not try to get one heli that can take you from beginner to expert. Yes, you can tame down a 3D heli with a programmable transmitter, but you'd do better getting a first heli that focuses on beginner to novice. That way you're less likely to get frustrated and give up.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
2Funky

Hi beachcomber I like your reply also. I have been doing a little research on the beginner helis and I am looking at the esky Honey Bee FPV2, It seems to be pretty durable, parts seem inexpensive and plentiful. Being knew to a hobby I've found it important to find the right people to ask questions of i.e. friendly and helpfull with out the attitude. i was lucky when I started flying fixed wing to have a great group of people for my learning. i have not run into many Heli pilots around and havent been involved with flying for a few years and I am looking forward to a good place to ask questions. thank You for your input and welcome :-)
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
willbill

Can anybody help. I'm flying a T-Rex 450 and im getting the odd glitch. sometime its only a tail twitch but today it spun round a couple of times before i regained control. Could this be something as simple as me pointing the transmitter arial sraight at the heli, or perhaps the way i have routed the receiver antenna
Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
willbill

Just getting to gripps with the site, hence why im now directing this question dirctly to you-
Im looking for help. I'm flying a T-Rex 450 and im getting the odd glitch. sometime its only a tail twitch but today it spun round a couple of times before i regained control. Could this be something as simple as me pointing the transmitter arial sraight at the heli, or perhaps the way i have routed the receiver antenna
Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post Rafael!

A little research on the OP's part allows him to think a little for himself too as to what he needs.

"Break the Bank"... How big is your 'bank', $100 or $1,000???
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: willbill

Just getting to gripps with the site, hence why im now directing this question dirctly to you-
Im looking for help. I'm flying a T-Rex 450 and im getting the odd glitch. sometime its only a tail twitch but today it spun round a couple of times before i regained control. Could this be something as simple as me pointing the transmitter arial sraight at the heli, or perhaps the way i have routed the receiver antenna
Since you double posted and on the second post it says that this is a reply to my post, I'm going to assume that you are talking to me.

First I suggest that every time you have a new question, you open a new thread. That way everyone has an opportunity to view your post and provide answers and suggestions. This will prevent from burying your post under a title that has no meaning to your question.

Pointing the antenna to a model, although not good, should not cause that kind of glitches if the model was near the mimits of the radio range, then pointing the antenna at it will definitely make it do weird things, but I doubt you can get a 450 that far.

On the tail you have several things working, tail rotor rpm, tail belt tension, tail rotor control mechanism, and the gyro. Any of those things could be causing your problem. I would start looking at the mechanical problems, then leave the gyro for last. Make sure the gyro is set to the correct orientation.

As I suggested before, open a new thread, and askt eh question there, please be aa little more specific about the gyro that you have and the radio system.

Hope that helps a little.

Rafael
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
drobin

On my trex 450, when I started getting the glitch and spinning, it as caused by the front tail rotor gear drive slipping.You can remove the gear and put a drop of thin ca on the shaft. That will hold it for a while. Or you can just replace it with the upgraded one. Costs about $8.But still use the ca before putting it back together.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
willbill

Thanks for your suggestions, i will definitely check it out as it seem feasable.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
willbill

Thanks for your suggestions also. If i knew what a new thread was and how to do it i would have done it. So thanks again, but dont forget that not everyone knows it all straight away!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: willbill

Thanks for your suggestions also. If i knew what a new thread was and how to do it i would have done it. So thanks again, but dont forget that not everyone knows it all straight away!
Hey, I understand, nobody is born with knowledge. At lest you are alredy here on RCU. For a new thread, you just go to the appropriate forum instead of clicking reply thread on an existing thread. Is just one step before getting to this point. I do not know how to explain it in words and the keyboard on my phone although qwerty. Is not big enough for long explanations (I'm on the road).

Rafael
Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
LoneFlyer7

E-flite blade CX2 is the model for you!!!  Then, if backyard really, really big....... blade 400 eventually!