Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick between 2 heli's

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Please help me pick between 2 heli's

Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Varekai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me pick between 2 heli's

Hello, Im new here. Next week I plan on getting a new 6ch helicopter, Ive come between two that I really like. I've heard the name Walkera before, so Im sure that they are a good brand, but the one Im leaning towards a bit more I have never heard of before. So for my first 6ch heli, I was hoping I could get some opinions on which one, or if anyone has a better recommendation. Here is the walkera,http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-drag...er-p-5775.html, and here is the one I am leaning towardshttp://www.bananahobby.com/1790.html
Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM
drobin

Default RE: Please help me pick between 2 heli's

First, do your homework before dealing with banana hobby. Over 500 posts of unhappy people getting ripped off. Don't just jump into it because of price. Read reports on them. Places like tower hobby and helidirect are good to deal with. Do you have a local hobby shop. If so, you should talk to those people. Not only could they help you get set up but would have spare parts. You didn't say how much you are willing to spend.And what kind of experience you have with helicopters. All that makes a difference.It's like asking "what kind of car should I get?"
Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Varekai

Thank you for your input, I only have experience with 4ch, basically I am looking for a 3D heli, around $250-$350, and around the 250 or 450 size, something that can fly indoors and out. I dont know much about heli's yet, so I dont know all the good brands, which is why I started asking here.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Anything smaller than a 450 is likely going to be a really unpleasant experience as a first CP. When you say indoor do you mean like, in a gym or in a living room? In a living room isn't really all that feasible, I'm comfortable with my blade400 at this point and would be horrified to try and fly it inside my house.

T-Rex 450 is a popular choice, though there are a lot of cheaper alternatives all over. The Blade400 is nice and the price is right, but I think it may be discontinued now.

But yeah what kind of experience do you have with CPs, have you spent time getting used to them on a sim or anything? It's a really big step up from a coax or fixed pitch. I don't mean to discourage, just making sure you know what to expect.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Varekai

No more like a gym, I havent spent anytime on a sim yet cause I dont even have a 6ch remote to plug into my pc, thats why I wanted to get a RTF kit with a sim and take it from there.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
mydartswinger

Since this will be your first 6ch heli, look at getting a simulator first (if you don't have one). FMS (Free Model Simulator) is OK for a free product, however, a quality sim such as RealFlight or Phoenix are much better. The full versions of these simulators run $150-$200. However, RealFlight has a Basic version without the bells and whistles of G5 (combat, flight training, games, expandability, etc...). If all you want to do with the sim is fly the default aircraft on a few different flying sites, RealFlight Basic should be fine for you at $100 with controller.

The reason I recommend a sim before stepping into a 6ch, 3D capable heli is that the 6ch helis are much more sensitive to your inputs. The sim will help you get the basics of 6ch heli flying without risking a real heli. A sim will also allow you to practice inverted orientations when you feel you're ready to start in that direction. It can get very confusing.

As for the helis mentioned, if you go for either of them, go for the Walkera. Why? Because it's a 400 size heli. The one at Banana Hobby is a 250 size. Don't get me wrong, the 250 size helis are good flying little birds. I own an Align T-Rex 250 and love it. However, the 250s are not the best beginner heli. You could learn on one, but it would be much more expensive in the long run and much more frustrating. They are much more sensitive to wind, setup, and control input than their 400 and larger counterparts.

As for indoors and outdoors, the only way your going to be able to do that with up to a 450 (maybe even 500) heli is to take the heli to a gym that allows RC flight. The smaller electric helis fly just as fast as their larger counterparts, but appear to move faster due to their smaller size. They can also get away from you VERY quickly. There are also a lot more moving parts to worry about breaking, and when/if they break, they do go flying (just try exploding a tail rotor on a 450. Don't ask me how I know that one ) If you fly your current 4ch indoors, stick with it for your indoor flying, and get the 6ch for outdoor flying.

Like drobin said, if you have a local hobby shop (LHS), go check them out and see what they carry. More than likely, if you have an LHS, they carry E-Flite and/or Heli-Max, and maybe some Align stuff. They also usually have access to 2 or 3 other brands of helicopters and parts for ordering, but won't stock them because they don't sell as well as the previously mentioned brands. That's not always the case, but most likely.

For your first 6ch heli, I would recommend AT LEAST a 400/450 size helicopter. The size best suited for you will depend on budget and flying space. If you could bump up your helicopter budget to about $500, you could pick up a new 400 size helicopter RTF (ready to fly) with a decent radio, and this heli would be supported by more shops. Other helicopter options would be the E-Sky Belt CP line of helis, and the Exceed RC helis for about $300 - $400 RTF. IMHO, go with the $500 RTF to get a radio that can grow with you. For example, check out the E-Flite Blade 400 RTF for $470. It comes with the helicopter, LiPo battery, charger, and a Spektrum DX6i 2.4Ghz computer radio and receiver ($150 by itself, $200 with the receiver) that can be used on future helicopters and/or airplanes.

I could recommend getting a Chinese knock off of an Align T-Rex 450 (this would run about $300 for the flight ready helicopter and a good radio), however, they can be tricky to set up (especially since they don't come with instructions, though they are available for download from Align and other resources). I attempted a Hobby King HK450 V2 (in hindsight, I would now go with an HK450GT to get the better parts) with poor results (could have also been partially due to my hurry to get back in the air). It did seem to be of OK quality, and you can get parts wherever Align parts are sold (just buy parts for a T-Rex 450).

You also need to figure crash costs into your heli budget. Unfortunately, crashes happen. Crashes on a 400/450 class helicopter can run from $50 up to about $100 per crash depending on what is broke and what you have on hand. The cost increases exponentially the larger you go. Your overall crash costs can be reduced by using the simulator to gain experience with a virtual helicopter, which costs nothing to fix, before going to your real helicopter.

Now that I've made this as clear as mud, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Shannon
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 AM
mydartswinger

A quick addition to my previous post:

The Blade 400 is still available from Horizon Hobby.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1400]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1400[/link]

If you want to use your real radio for the sim flight, Phoenix (which is HIGHLY recommended by many RC heli pilots) is available without a radio for $130. Get the Blade 400 RTF and the Phoenix sim for about $600 total cost for both, and you can have a nice helicopter that is well supported, a good quality radio that will grow with you, and a good flight simulator.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RTM2500]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RTM2500[/link]
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Definitely going to second the simulator recommendation. RealFlight G4 taught me how to fly, my B400 was my first heli ever, and I went from my first hovers to some mild 3D without any crashes (until my tail rotor died on me mid flight, and even then RealFlight had given me the reflexes to hit throttle hold immediately and try to autorotate in. It still came down on its nose...on asphalt surrounded by TONS OF GRASS as luck would have it, but I can just image how much worse it could have been). A sim will will save you a lot of time and money repairing crashes, and let you try out different types of helis. It'll definitely be extremely helpful to you if you're planning to get into 3D.

I've heard Phoenix models heli physics a bit better, I personally haven't used it. RealFlight is the more customizable/expandable of the two, if you care about that.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM
dooleyje

Well said Dart and Skunk, I always try to push folks toward a sim. Eflight has a cool liitle heli called the Blade120 that you may be interested in but I would also have you look at the new RTF BladeSR just charge and fly for $199.99. THis heli is set up as a trainer but can be hopped up later on and comes with a DMS2 radio system. Almost a 400 size and Parts in any hobby shop.

Jim
Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM
twoslick2

The phenix sim is being offered with the msr for 200.00
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
midntpumkin

get the real flight basic , more than enough helis on there to wet your whistle , when you can fly all of those then you are ready . setting peramiters or getting extra stuff is fine but if you just want to fly get the basic, it has basic flying and a idle up for 3D flight . it also has planes like foamies which are fun to hover and just go crazy with them , and when you crash reset and start all over again.
did i mention that you can get 10.00 off at tower
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Varekai

Ok, so I decided to go with either a Trex or a Copterx (which is one of the better Trex clones, correct?) Is there any actual difference in the performance of a 250 or a 450? I saw a video on youtube from of a Trex 450 SE that literally made me giggle.... http://www.rc-fever.com/kx015076-tre...bo-p-6668.html      Im just concerned about putting it together myself, and it says it also requires a pitch gauge, which I wouldnt know the first thing of adjusting the pitch or such. The only reason I would want a genuine Trex is I've always been somewhat of a quality junky, I want to make sure that at some point in time, if I ever get good enough, my heli can do what that guy is doing in the video. I would rather spend alot of money on a good one now, and sit down with a Sim and learn to fly it, then spend money on a lower quality heli, just to spend more on a better one later.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
mydartswinger

Don't worry about building, it's not overly difficult. Just take your time, read the manual, use threadlock on all metal to metal connections, and if you get stumped, ask questions.

Here's a link to a thread of a member who was in your shoes just a few months ago. He went from coaxials straight into a T-Rex 450 Sport and documented the build in this thread. He's now got the 450, a 500 and is apparently looking for a larger helicopter now.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9491255/anchors_9491255/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9491255]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9491255/anchors_9491255/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9491255[/link]
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
drobin

The larger the helicopter, the more stable it is. But none seem stable at first. I don't have any experience with the 250 size but I've heard they are "quick" on the movements. But they can be flown inside.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
mydartswinger

There is no real performance difference between the 250 and 450 helicopters. However, the 250 helicopters are MUCH more sensitive to setup and pilot error. They also have a bit more of a tendancy to drift than the 450s and are harder to see, so they can get away from you much faster.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Varekai

What do you guys think of this deal? its not very far from mehttp://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ele/1799856492.html

Or this onehttp://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/tag/1796249567.html
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 AM
mydartswinger

I'd go with the T-Rex. It has good quality radio gear, servos, and gyro. The CopterX doesn't list what servos or gyro it's using. For $50 more, go with the one that you know what it has in it.

However, be forewarned, get with someone you trust that knows RC helis before you go look at a used heli. There can be issues with it that could possibly make it a deal breaker, or a bugger to set up without proper setup knowledge. It's best to go new if you can, but if you can't afford it, make sure that someone that has experience looks it over and test flies it before you fly it.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
booker_cheung

we have trex 450 se, sport and pro. free shipping from china. uncredible low pirce.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Varekai

Ok so it's pretty much come down to decision time, Im still highly debating between a 250 and a 450, I went to a LHS that only had an esky 450 and some other 250 that I dont remember the name of, I love the size of the 250, but I live in florida and there's lots of winds where I live, so it does seem like the 450 would be a bit easier to fly, but regardless here is my two picks, I got interested in this particular Copterx that is RTF, its got a good price, but shipping is $100 , then there is a trex from a cheap site

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM
booker_cheung

it is 250se friend.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM
mydartswinger

Based on size alone, go with the CopterX. It's a 450 size and will be much easier to learn on than the 250. The 250 you linked to is a 250SE, which is the nicer version of the T-Rex 250.

To learn on, you want at least a 400 size helicopter, especially if you're gonna be flying in any amount of wind.