Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

first FP heli

Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first FP heli

hey...
i know theres 30 other people asking for beginners advice.... but im going to ask also.

im looking for a good beginners FP heli.
ive flown coaxial. (blade CX2) but im ready to move on.

my budget is under 200 usd.
and the only thing im picky about is that it has NO tail motor. the guys at the flight club keep telling me to stay away from helis with tail motors.

thanks for any advice.

andy
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Rob2160

Default RE: first FP heli

Hi,

I know you don't want one with a Tail Motor, but in my opinion that is ruling out 2 VERY Good options for your next heli.

I went from the Co Axials to the Blade MSR - Mine has over 400 flights on it now and I've never had a single problem with the tail motor.

Here is a great review and he discusses the tail motor pros and cons

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr.html

Another heli that I have and love is the 120 SR - Mine now has over 150 flights and the motors are going strong.

Here again is a review of the 120 SR

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-120-sr.html

If you decide to buy one of these, consider investing in a Spektrum DX6i.. It is MUCH easier to fly these helis with a full size radio than the small 4 channel radio that comes in the RTF versions..

Good luck and let us know what you end up with..
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
andybenton

i never ruled them out. i was just working off of what the guys at the flight club had told me...

however there seems to be something to these coreless tail motors. bluss that 5 in one board.

issue being, the 5 in one board... i like the idea. but if one of the linear servos goes out, or is damaged in a crash, then your stuck replaceing the whole unit.

but hey. the 120 sr looks awsome... the msr is another option also. just not sure if i want something that small

Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Rob2160

Fair Point...

I did the Coaxial, then the MSR, then the 120 SR

Then I went to a Twister CP Gold and that was a HUGE step.. I personally don't think I would have had a chance without the hundreds of flights on the MSR and 120 SR to get the basics of orientation..

Not saying it is impossible.. I'm just an average pilot and it seemed a big step to me.. I have posted a running commentary of my progress with it over the last 3 weeks.. www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9959846/tm.htm

3 Days ago I bought the Blade 400 and again, that is anotherstep up from the Twister... I would have crashed it first flight coming straight from a Coaxial to this.. I have all the dual rates set to 65% and it still seems twitchy for me.

The MSR and 120 SR are great because you can easily fly them indoors, my 2 CP helis can only be flown outside..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
andybenton

you also have a fair point. haha

some of the walkeras look good. particularly the cb180z, however, local parts support just isnt there.

so im probably going to be getting a blade 120sr. i pick things up pretty quickly. but im not sure i could go straight from coax to CP.
so i figured logic would be to get a FP.

the 120 sr looks really good, and we have parts locally for it. which is allways a plus
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Rob2160

you will be so happy with the 120 SR..

I love it.. I fly it indoors every day and outside also if the winds are light..

After you have got used to hovering it, make sure you set up the Advanced swashplate settings... (it tells you how in the manual)

This will then allow you to fly really fast outside..

I am away on a work trip but will post a video of the 120 SR flying inside when I get back..

It is a good intermediate heli and one you can always still enjoy indoors even when you are flying 3d Aerobatics outdoors with a bigger heli..