RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Need advice on which heli to choose (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/10259424-need-advice-heli-choose.html)

CrysisRedemption 01-12-2011 08:07 PM

Need advice on which heli to choose

I'm going to be buying a gopro hd camera and I was wondering what helicopter would be good to handle lifting it.My price range is 299 to 350.It doesn't have to be the best of the best I just want something so I can take video.

I'm a newb so i'm going to be buying something to practice with in the house before I move on to flying the one i want to take video with.<br type="_moz" />

trickdriller 01-12-2011 08:30 PM

RE: Need advice on which heli to choose

Try the MSR or 120sr. Both are made by flight and both can fly inside. The msr is probably better in smaller spaces though and can not be flown outside.

CrysisRedemption 01-12-2011 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Try the MSR or 120sr. Both are made by flight and both can fly inside. The msr is probably better in smaller spaces though and can not be flown outside.
I want a heli that can fly outside, i'll probably pick up a cheap 70 dollar heli to fly inside.
i've had eye on thishttp://www.rcplanet.com/Heli-Max_AXE...p/HMXE0800.htmwould that hold up to having a 3oz camera mounted on it?
<br type="_moz" />

trickdriller 01-12-2011 09:05 PM

Read this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10253869/tm.htm

I am quickly being talked into these kits. The Trex is loved by just about all heli pilots but these kits make that kind of performance attainable.

However, if you are brand new, I cannot stress enough how hard this is going to be to fly. You may want to get a cheaper RTF and learn to fly on it so this hobby doesn't end up in a corner if a closet or garage. Just a thought.

CrysisRedemption 01-12-2011 09:19 PM

yeah i know thats what i wanna buy a cheap one to fly around the house so i can get use to it and wont get pissed if it breaks. but at the same time i wanna buy an semi expensive one too because i might not have the funds later on and i'll just leave it sit and practice with the cheap one till i feel comfortable enough to try out the expensive one.

im brand new to the hobby. i bought a cheap indoor heli like 3 years ago but i was in a real small apartment and it ended up breaking in like a week. i live in a bigger place now so hopefully i can get some practice in. i have no idea about building so im leaning towards rtf models.

Real2You 01-13-2011 11:43 AM

Even if you practice inside.....that AXE 400 is going to be a tough little sucker to fly. Practicing indoors you will most likely fly a coaxial heli...or a small fixed pitch like a mSR or something. The first time you fly a collective pitch heli like that Axe 400....you will notice a big difference. I'm not saying it can't be done....but I would prepare for the expense of crashes and going through the natural learning curve.

CrysisRedemption 01-13-2011 11:47 AM

Right on, theres little collective helis that you can fly inside might get one of those. Ia found a trex 450 vr2 clone on ebay for $326. i'll probably get that. I guess I should be prepared to spend a lot of money on replacement parts huh lol.

ATVAlliance 01-13-2011 01:34 PM

For me, personally, I wouldnt fly anything larger than my mSR in my house.

While I am good enough to probably "hover" my 450 inside...no way I would do it.  Too many things that "could" go wrong and end up causing major damage to things...including myself.

If you have never been around a 450 size CP heli in person...you will be amazed at the power and headspeed of the rotors when it spools up.  I cannot imagine having one come at me out of control in a confined space.</p>

patbcs 01-13-2011 02:05 PM

i got one of these
http://hobby-wing.com/tarot-450-pro-...h-2801pro.html

JustHover 01-13-2011 02:54 PM

Google Quadcopter and camera. It seams to be a more popular way to get a camera up in the air. :D

CrysisRedemption 01-13-2011 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: JustHover

Google Quadcopter and camera. It seams to be a more popular way to get a camera up in the air. :D
Id go that rout but i'm getting the gopro HD for when I go to the shooting range so I can make first person shooting videos. and I got to thinking what else could i use the camera for and I thought about the helicopter thing.
<br type="_moz" />

CrysisRedemption 01-14-2011 12:38 AM

Does anyone know if <span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 3px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 3px; "> aeolian makes good 450 clones? i found one on ebay any i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.</span>

ATVAlliance 01-14-2011 08:04 AM

I have an EXI 450 V2 SE and put a cam on it.

It does "OK"...but not nearly as good as the cam does on my planes.

Even though the heli "appears" to be smooth when looking at it spool up and hover...there is a LOT of unseen vibrations that make the video image grainy.  I was playing around with dampening the mount by adding/subtracting foam between the mount and the canopy.  I never got it "just right" before winter hit here and stopped me from going further.  Dont get me wrong...its definitely "watchable", but I wasnt aware of how good of a video the camera makes until I put it on a plane.

I have seen some videos that looked good from onboard cams.  Not sure how they did it...but just be aware that you will probably have to "tinker" with it to get it good...and Im not sure (at least the mini DV cam I have) that I will ever get it "picture pefect" clear.

If I think of it...I'll upload one of the better videos I took with my setup and let you see for yourself.

In the meantime, if your video looks like it has diagonal lines moving up and down...that means your mount it too tight.  If it gets really "grainy" looking, that means your mount is too loose.  The happy medium, well I havent found it yet.

CrysisRedemption 01-14-2011 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

Even though the heli "appears" to be smooth when looking at it spool up and hover...there is a LOT of unseenvibrations that make the video image grainy. I was playing around with dampening the mount by adding/subtracting foam between the mount and the canopy. I never got it "just right" before winter hit here and stopped me from going further. Dont get me wrong...its definitely "watchable", but I wasnt aware of how good of a video the camera makes until I put it on a plane.

I have seen some videos that looked good from onboard cams. Not sure how they did it...but just be aware that you will probably have to "tinker" with it to get it good...and Im not sure (at least the mini DV cam I have) that I will ever get it "picture pefect" clear.

If I think of it...I'll upload one of the better videos I took with my setup and let you see for yourself.

In the meantime, if your video looks like it has diagonal lines moving up and down...that means your mount it too tight. If it gets really "grainy" looking, that means your mount is too loose. The happy medium, well I havent found it yet.

Yeah, the video camera i'm getting is a gopro hd camera it takes 1080p video and it takes awesome quality. From what I learned from watching the videos they build a mount and surround it in foam padding or they mount it with a gopro mount and surround it foam padding.I heard a 450 can lift up to 250 grams and the gopro is only 85 grams so it should be good .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzfWsyJdkQheres a video of the quality. that is a trex 500 but ive seen 450's lift it just fine, i picked that video because its one of my favorites.
<br type="_moz" />

CrysisRedemption 01-14-2011 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: CrysisRedemption

Even though the heli "appears" to be smooth when looking at it spool up and hover...there is a LOT of unseenvibrations that make the video image grainy. I was playing around with dampening the mount by adding/subtracting foam between the mount and the canopy. I never got it "just right" before winter hit here and stopped me from going further. Dont get me wrong...its definitely "watchable", but I wasnt aware of how good of a video the camera makes until I put it on a plane.

I have seen some videos that looked good from onboard cams. Not sure how they did it...but just be aware that you will probably have to "tinker" with it to get it good...and Im not sure (at least the mini DV cam I have) that I will ever get it "picture pefect" clear.

In the meantime, if your video looks like it has diagonal lines moving up and down...that means your mount it too tight. If it gets really "grainy" looking, that means your mount is too loose. The happy medium, well I havent found it yet.

Yeah, the video camera i'm getting is a gopro hd camera it takes 1080p video and it takes awesome quality. From what I learned from watching the videos they build a mount and surround it in foam padding or they mount it with a gopro mount and surround it foam padding.I heard a 450 can lift up to 250 grams and the gopro is only 85 grams so it should be good .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzfWsyJdkQheres a video of the quality. that is a trex 500 but ive seen 450's lift it just fine, i picked that video because its one of my favorites.heres one with a 450 in it, its not hd but still pretty good.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_CleSje5KY
<br type="_moz" />

ATVAlliance 01-15-2011 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: CrysisRedemption

Yeah, the video camera i'm getting is a gopro hd camera it takes 1080p video and it takes awesome quality. From what I learned from watching the videos they build a mount and surround it in foam padding or they mount it with a gopro mount and surround it foam padding.I heard a 450 can lift up to 250 grams and the gopro is only 85 grams so it should be good .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzfWsyJdkQheres a video of the quality. that is a trex 500 but ive seen 450's lift it just fine, i picked that video because its one of my favorites.
<br type="_moz" />

That cam is definitely better quality than the one I have. But I only paid 20 bucks for the one I have, so it does fine for my needs and especially the cost.

Here is a video of it on my heli with the mount too tight. It was very windy that day so with my skills...I was doing good to keep it hovering, LOL.

http://piratesoftheskyrc.org/?p=194

You can see once the heli gets in the air...the quality gets a little better. But Im not happy with it...so I will definitely be working on better vibration suppression for the mount.

Mounted on planes...the cam does wonderful. Here are a couple videos. One on my stryker, and another of it on a fellow club members glider.

Stryker - http://piratesoftheskyrc.org/?p=175

Glider - http://piratesoftheskyrc.org/?p=181