RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Transmitter problem possibly? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11257073-transmitter-problem-possibly.html)

ID10T_ERROR 10-09-2012 05:03 PM

Transmitter problem possibly?

Hi all

I'm Leo and very new to the remote heli scene beyond those horrid Chinese double horse wastes of money.

Ipurchased a moderately cheap Titan 450 SE-V2 (T-Rex clone) and when my son tried to get it off the ground the first time, it kept rolling to the left when ever he tried to go forward. The transmitter causes the exact error whenever trying to use it coupled to the computer to run sim software. Neither of us could get it flying in the sim program so we eventually decided to try it outside on a good day with no wind.

My son spent considerable time adjusting the trim but regardless of what he did the heli constantly rolled left on trying to go forward. Regardless of which direction we tried getting the thing off the ground (rule out possible light wind direction) the same result every time. Setting the trim was no help and it was already set at maximum trim to compensate for this problem. Reducing the trim made it much worse.

The controller is a RadioLink T6EHP-E 6 channel transmitter and (matched) receiver package.

Please, if you don't have any ideas, don't tell me to buy a T-Rex, I'm a disability pensioner and can't afford the real thing.

I'm assuming since the identical problem occurred with the sim program the fault may lie with the cheap, nasty controller itself (tried several sim programs, including free demo's of name software, all with the identical result, I can't afford $100+ for software)

I'm looking into possibly purchasing another transmitter/receiver of a known good brand but if this isn't the problem it's unneeded expense.

Ihad weight balanced the blades with very accurate scales and checked all screws were done up before we even attempted anything with the heli.

One new head later (cheaper than replacing the one bent arm attached to swash plate) and we're nearly ready to try again but would like to at least get it 6 inches off the ground before breaking something this time.
Unfortunately, due to our location and my health issues, there are no clubs within a reasonable distance to get assistance and I'm hoping the plethora of knowledge among experienced members here may help.

This is a Chinese Align T-Rex 450 knock off (clone) and Ihave no idea of the manufacturer.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxMj...kWg~~60_35.JPG

Thanks!

jester_s1 10-09-2012 05:49 PM

RE: Transmitter problem possibly?

I'd normally say there was an issue with the setup, but since the same thing happened on the sim I'd say your transmitter is probably the culprit. That, of course, doesn't mean your heli is without problems, but it does sound like the Tx is the first place to look. Do you have a manual for that transmitter? I had a look at it online and found that it has some swashplate settings that will have to be right for the heli to work. If you're totally new to the hobby, you may not know yet how the swash is supposed to move. If not, all three servos should raise it with the throttle, and it should move left, right, up and down with the right stick movements.

ID10T_ERROR 10-09-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks Jester for the quick reply, something not too common on many forums.

The operation of the swash plate was checked prior to any attempted activity  and deemed to be working correctly (by 2 novices with the aid of a manual). Every operation of the heli was checked prior to start up. The reason we damaged a bar on the swash plate was I asked my son to reverse something to try and rectify the problem but he forgot to free spin the blades by hand to check everything was OK. Usually, he turns the blades by hand first to make sure everything is set correctly.

I understand it's a sub $300 heli but I'd like to get some use/learning experience out of it.
It's not actually for my use it's for my 18 year old sons use but I'm hoping I'm not too stupid to have a play and learn with him (Juries still out on that one I'm afraid :Haha:).

I believe it's a somewhat rewarding/enjoyable, if somewhat expensive hobby.

Can anyone perhaps recommend a way  of checking the output of the transmitter (I have access to a multimeter (and CRO I forget how to use) and numerous items of electronic components.
Can anyone perhaps recommend an affordable 6-9 channel transmitter/receiver combo which is of reasonable quality but not overly expensive?

I have looked into other unknown, cheaper transmitters but again, unknown brands often come with unknown issues.

KRASHKOPTER 10-09-2012 08:15 PM

I'm a noobie but I can suggest a decent radio....however it is probably more money than you might wish to put out. For a brand new Spektrum DX6i the price is about $150 us/can but you may be able to get a used one for under $100...just my 2 cents.I am sure others with more knowledge will chime in soon...good luck with your new hobby (or son's...ya right..yer gonna get hooked..careful...lol)

KRASH

ATVAlliance 10-10-2012 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: KRASHKOPTER

I'm a noobie but I can suggest a decent radio....however it is probably more money than you might wish to put out. For a brand new Spektrum DX6i the price is about $150 us/can but you may be able to get a used one for under $100...just my 2 cents.I am sure others with more knowledge will chime in soon...good luck with your new hobby (or son's...ya right..yer gonna get hooked..careful...lol)

KRASH
I agree with the DX6i if you are on a budget. There are tons of helis flying still with those radios still.

TakeshiSkunk 10-10-2012 07:53 AM

I'm still using it! Never had a problem, they're easy to find cheap these days.

phillyD 10-10-2012 08:01 AM

Ok ID10T
I fly 6 models with the DX6i and a sim setting. That being said about the radio you still need to check the set up..meaning the swash travel through-out the collective range. The swash can be tilting to one-side because of bad values in the radio..that would be in the Servo travel adjust area or sometimes know as end points. When you have no in-house experienced person, Finless Bob's instruction videos on Heli Freak(heli skills and set up 101) will be of tremendous value to you.
Cheers for now until we hear from you again

Goggles 10-10-2012 11:18 AM

Do you have the manual for the radio? If you do, you might want to go through it and make sure your radio matches what your heli is doing and set up properly. If your heli and sim do the exact same thing when you try and fly them, then it has to be the setup in your radio. Never fly the heli unless you are absolutely sure when you move the aileron right the swash moves right, when you move the elevator forward the swash moves forward, etc. Is your radio mode 1 or mode 2, mode 2 being the rudder, throttle and pitch are on the left stick?

Personally, it sounds to me that your swash is not setup correctly so if you try to push a little forward elevator the left aileron is moving instead. I think it's on page 13 of the manual it has the swash setup, and I think it should be set to 3-S.

I'm just throwing some stuff out there.

ID10T_ERROR 10-10-2012 04:53 PM

The Tx unit is mode 1.
The full range of the swash plate was checked as per the instructions and appears to be functioning correctly.

I think it may be best for me to save up for the Spektrum but they're not readily available with tx and rx second hand in Aus (from Ebay) and a new unit with both transmitter and receiver is $260 plus freight. Not easily affordable for me but I'll save up.

Probably not the best hobby/interest for a disability pensioner on limited income but I'm determined my son is going to get to enjoy it.

Thanks all!

TakeshiSkunk 10-10-2012 05:52 PM

Spend a LOT of time on that sim if you're trying to fly on a budget, don't try anything on the real heli that you haven't already mastered on the simulator. You'll save yourself hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours through patience alone.

Also look into building some training gear on the cheap, it could possibly have already spared you some damage.

rob.rice 10-24-2012 11:31 PM

my guess is the swash AFR settings are wrong
this guy has a good video series on building and setting up an rc helicopter
http://mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html
including an explanation of swash AFR settings