RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   What should be my next heli? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11440495-what-should-my-next-heli.html)

Monarch1st 03-11-2013 05:38 PM

What should be my next heli?

I've gotten used to flying three of the dual-main-rotor/horizontal-tail-rotor heli's (two of which were not that great and one was pretty good, in direct proportion to how much they cost of course), and I'm wanting to step up.
I went to the local hobby store, and he recommended the blade nano cpx. I looked online and liked what I saw. Is this a good machine for the next step up? It needs to be able to fly mainly indoors but Ialso want to fly it outdoors some, even here in windy Kansas. My main concern is where I saw them flying was in big spaces like garages or warehouses, neither of which I have access to. Is the nano a good one to fly indoors in the living room or other such big rooms?

What is a good machine to move up to?

ATVAlliance 03-12-2013 05:03 AM

RE: What should be my next heli?

I vote no.  And only because your only other experience is with coaxial helicopters.<div>
</div><div>Can the nano be flown indoors?  Absolutely</div><div>
</div><div>Can it be flown indoors inside a very small space?  Absolutely, IF you are an experienced pilot.</div><div>
</div><div>Since you are brand new to CP helis...IF you go the nano route, do your first flights/learning outside.  You and your heli will be grateful for this advice.</div><div>
</div><div>Once you get the hang of hovering tail in.  Then you could try inside.</div><div>
</div><div>The nano is like a hummingbird on crack if you let it be.  And someone brand new that will over correct on the sticks WILL crash it.  The good thing is that its a tough heli and if you crash you probably wont break anything, and if you do it will be inexpensive to repair.</div><div>
</div><div>If you constantly are crashing it into hard surfaces likes ,walls or furniture...it will break more often and you will be repairing it more than flying it.  At least if you are flying it outside and crash it on the grass...you most likely will pick it up from the ground and be right back to flying it with no repair work needed.</div>

a70eliminator 03-12-2013 05:54 AM

All true, exactly like what I went through. Got a nano for Christmas without any heli experience whatsover learned by bouncing it off the walls and furniture, went through 3or 4 landing skids, a swashplate and blade grip, boke a couple tail booms and even broke the main frame, burned up the motor.
I now can fly it pretty good within the confines of a small den area, still to wintery to try it outside, can'r wait to see what thats like.
I say get the nano, parts aren't that expensive, I'm 51 years old and my hand to eye coordination isn't what it used to be, if I can do it just about anybody can, practice practice practice.

ATVAlliance 03-12-2013 11:40 AM

Thanks for backing up my post.

People look at these small micro helis like they are toys. Then they get one and realize a tad too late that these little micros are power houses that can get away from you in the blink of an eye.

Learning to fly one in a small living room is definitely possible. But, like you attested to...will cause you to spend a little money doing so. Thats why I suggest anyone learning to fly a CP heli try to start out by flying outside with plenty of room.

Sometimes when people are first learning...the heli gets away from them. When you have a large enough space you can simply flip your Throttle Hold switch and let it float down to the ground, almost leaf like.

Everyone that flies ANY type of heli needs to get very well aquainted with their transmitters Throttle Hold switch. Being able to flip that one switch can be the difference of a 25 dollar crash and 200 dollar crash (heli size depending of course)!<br type="_moz" />

Monarch1st 03-12-2013 10:21 PM

Thanks all - If I do get a cp heli next, I'll likely learn to fly it outside. It's a possibility now that it's getting warmer. The wind is kicking up but, eh, can't have everything

a70eliminator 03-13-2013 04:50 AM

Hang some blankets from the ceiing use couch cusions ect .to pad an area, I found the picture window curtain sheers to be a great crash saver, they sorta catch the heli and hold it like a fish in a net , you don't need more than a small bathroom size room at first because the only thing you need to concentrate on is lifting off and hovering a foot off the ground, the more space you have the more violent your crashes will get.
5 min, epoxy kept my broken swash in service as well as one of the blade grips, I figured until I get it down no sense in buying new stuff while I'm still crahing alot, epoxy and heat shrink on the tail boom also will keep ya going in a pinch.
Once I learned all those brokens were upgraded to aluminum and haven't had any breaks since.

jackeylewis 03-17-2013 09:33 PM

well, maybe you can ask your freind who has rich experience on rc helicopter, i think their advice will be useful

judithangels 03-18-2013 03:07 AM

If you are new in helis then strat with a small,simple and beginner heli.Otherwise you can start with a Co-Axial rc helicopter.<font style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18.59375px;"> It characterised with two blades that rotate in different directions. </font><font style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18.59375px;">This makes it more stable in flight than single propeller rc helicopter, and therefore much easier to learn. </font><font style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18.59375px;">If you have never flown a remote-controlled helicopter, better remote with a Co-Axial is to begin helicopter, before trying individually on a propeller.</font>