RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Total Newbie (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11587371-total-newbie.html)

acctmike 09-25-2013 10:34 AM

Total Newbie

Hi, I have been thinking about getting an R/C Helicopter for something to do just for fun. Mainly fly indoors and sometimes outdoors. I have been seeing alot about the Blade mCPx 2. I understand it is an advanced choice but was wondering if it would be a good learning device that would allow me to advance in skills without having to by another helicopter in a few months? Also, would I need to upgrade the transmitter or would the one included in the RTF kit be sufficient? The computerized transmitters are more than the cost of the RTF or BNF.

Thanks,
Mike

Rob2160 09-29-2013 08:28 PM

HI Mike,

I'll offer my 2 cents worth.

I have dozens of helicopters. 13 x 450 Size, 2 x 550 size and over a dozen smaller Blade Helis, eg, MSR, 130X, Nano CPX, Brushless MCPX etc.

I have 8 MCPX's so I know a little about them. (Long story why I have so many but I won't bore you here.. )

The MCPX is a great little helicopter and flies similar to a larger 450 size in many ways.

Using one to learn is not a bad idea but the learning curve will be huge initially. If you fly them over long grass, it is hard to break anything in a crash.

However crashing indoors will usually break something.

The stock radio that comes with an RTF MCPX is the DX4E - it works but is very basic, you cannot adjust the characteristics of the helicopter, EG, Throttle curves, Pitch curves and travel settings.

Also, if you get the DX4E it will be useless on any larger helicopters as you will need a 6 channel programmable radio. So you will need another radio eventually.

My advice, based on over 3 years with helis.

1. Invest in a proper 6 Channel Radio - I recommend the DX6i. (if your budget allows, a DX7S or DX8 is better but the DX6i will fly any 6 channel helicopter)

2. Make your first model a Nano QX - this is the new mini quadrotor from Eflite - it is almost indestructible, I fly mine indoors and let my small nephews fly it and they crash regularly and nothing ever breaks.

The most difficult part of learning in RC, (planes or Helis) is orientation - knowing which way to push your sticks when flying towards you or sideways etc. This is a necessary skill to fly RC helicopters correctly and only comes with lots of practice.

The Nano QX will let you gain these skills, and will survive the inevitable crashes. When you can hover the Nano QX in any orientation, IE facing you, and fly race track patterns accurately left and right you will be ready for the MCPX.

This will be a significant step up from the Nano QX and will keep you challenged on the learning curve.

Once you have mastered the MCPX, you will be ready for a larger CP heli, eg 450 size.

The DX6i radio will bind to both the Nano QX and MCPX (and you can use the receiver provided in a future heli build, if you progress that far)

I understand you may not want a quad rotor, but the Nano QX is very cheap and is an almost crash proof way of gaining real orientation skills.

Hope that helps.

I have done several vids that might help when you get your MCPX

Binding to the DX6i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tuWmJX_H-I Some additional tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLd6TeHBXo This video demonstrates the MCPX experience Vortex ring state (it happens on real helicopters also) - Important to know because I have seen a few people think their MCPX is faulty when it just keeps descending in certain manoeuvres when it is actually a normal aerodynamic phenomenon for Helicopters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kz_gOWaR7Y

acctmike 09-30-2013 09:56 AM

Rob, thanks for your input. I'm looking at this as something I want to try out to see if it is something that I will enjoy and occupy some idle time that I have on occasion. I'll have to look into seeing if I can get a used DX6i off of ebay or somewhere. I'll look into the NanoQX as well. I'll let you know if I make a decision.

Mike

karlik 09-30-2013 08:39 PM

I watched a kid learning to fly on an mcpx at the park last summer. I tried flying my old ufly fixed pitch and the wind was just too much - I had to stick with the 450. The kid was having no problems with his smaller mcpx. His buddy said it was only his second time flying it (probably his 6th or 7th battery), and that he spent a lot of time on a sim first.
He crashed twice - put it back on the skids and just started flying again.
I'll second everything Rob said, and suggest a good sim too.

acctmike 10-14-2013 04:53 AM

Hi Rob,

I picked up the Nano QX and the DX6i transmitter. It is a pretty tough aircraft but it's not as crash proof as you say, I managed to break one of the arms that protects the props. Not a big deal, it will still fly fine, I just need to be more careful about how I fly it and it's a relatively inexpensive fix to replace the body. I'm having fun so far. Need to get a sim next to practice more effectively.

Mike

Rob2160 10-23-2013 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by acctmike (Post 11638182)
Hi Rob,

I picked up the Nano QX and the DX6i transmitter. It is a pretty tough aircraft but it's not as crash proof as you say, I managed to break one of the arms that protects the props. Not a big deal, it will still fly fine, I just need to be more careful about how I fly it and it's a relatively inexpensive fix to replace the body. I'm having fun so far. Need to get a sim next to practice more effectively.

Mike

Hi Mike, just saw this post, great you got the QX. Sorry it broke, I figured if my nephews haven't broken mine it should be pretty tough. Hope you are enjoying the Radio and glad to hear you are having fun.. That's what it is all about..