RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   speed of helicopter too slow.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11594876-speed-helicopter-too-slow.html)

kirk flesher 02-16-2014 07:20 PM

speed of helicopter too slow....

hello, i seem to be having trouble with the speed of my heli., (Mingji 802 Tier-ONE T)
i just purchased this, to see if i'm interested in getting more involved with this hobby more.

the problem: very slow, while indoors or out, this heli is very slow.

i haven't done any adjusting yet, but im thinking about trying to change the pitch of the tail rotor,
or even applying some gear grease to the tail rotor gears.

reverse is just as slow, it turns left and right plenty fast enough, and has lots of power climbing.

do you think this will help? or is there a better solution?

thanks for any help you are able to give!!

(i did some searches for this problem, and will continue. but haven't seen anything yet)

karlik 02-17-2014 01:54 PM

Don't take this the wrong way - but...
First, that's a coaxial and they are made for stabilty which costs them speed.
Second, it's a 3 channel toy grade. It's flying pretty much the way it was designed to fly.
Look into something like the wltoys v911 - it's an inexpensive beginner that's kinda on the edge of toy grade and hobby grade. Harder to fly than what you have, but much more satisfying once you learn and it'll prepare you for bigger stuff.

kirk flesher 02-17-2014 08:58 PM

it sure would be nice to have started with something different, but for now im stuck with this one.

i have a couple of nexus viefly v789, and a jdx 340, but i thought i would try a bigger helicopter ( (Mingji 802 Tier-ONE T)
[h=1]its plenty of fun, but i just need to get more out of it, before i move on to a better machine. [/h]

Hedgewarden 02-25-2014 07:54 PM

Kirk,
The Mingji 802 Tier-ONE T is just another coaxial rotor (CX) heli - that is it has two sets of rotors, one above the other, spinning in opposite directions.

If you really want something better to fly, step up to a fixed pitch (FP) helicopter such as the WLToys V911 - which is available for around $40, or less than half the cost of the larger coaxial that you are contemplating. It can move much faster than your Minjis, and handles much more like the big-boy toys, the collective pitch (CP) helis, and most real helis which rely on the tail rotor to cancel the torque from the main rotor and perform yaw movements.

Read comments around these forums, and you will see even many experienced fliers (of which I am not) still enjoy flying their V911s. I'm still learning on my Propel SpeedStars, which are simply rebranded and reskinned V911s.

BTW, the standard advice is not to jump from CX to CP choppers, unless you have a personal trainer.

Good luck in your hobby, enjoy!