RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Throttle Jockey Pro question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11602216-throttle-jockey-pro-question.html)

blake1210 08-01-2014 03:12 PM

Throttle Jockey Pro question

I am confused. I have a question regarding TJ Pro and Trex 600N.
I know how to calibrate the unit, but it says get throttle ATV's close to 100 as you can.
Supposed to have linear throttle curves to calibrate it.
Now if I do this, but then want to change throttle curves different to tame the heli (I am new) won't this mess up the calibration I just did?
How does this work?
Thanks for any help!

Rafael23cc 08-04-2014 01:01 PM

DO NOT USE A GOVERNOR IF YOU ARE NEW. Program a set of throttle curves. Using a governor is the fastest way to burn up an engine if you do not know what you are doing.

Governors have their place, but it is not in a learning pilot's helicopter.

Rafael

blake1210 08-05-2014 12:25 PM

Thank you for that information!
Now I don't have to worry about it!

rotor09 08-07-2014 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by blake1210 (Post 11853198)
I am confused. I have a question regarding TJ Pro and Trex 600N.
I know how to calibrate the unit, but it says get throttle ATV's close to 100 as you can.
Supposed to have linear throttle curves to calibrate it.
Now if I do this, but then want to change throttle curves different to tame the heli (I am new) won't this mess up the calibration I just did?
How does this work?
Thanks for any help!

What they want you to do is to make sure that the throttle arm on your carb is attached such that when the carb barrel is half open, that the arm is parallel to the servo arm when it is at half stick with a liner throttle curve. Then to insure that the distance from the servo center to the point where the control rod attaches to it is of a distance that allows you to get as close to the 100% ATV setting in the TX as possible, before any binding. If the distance is too long then you will be using an ATV setting that is below 100%, if the distance is too short, then you will be using more then 100% and maybe even at max, it will not be able to open or close the carb barrel completely.

The Linear curve setting in the TX is simply to initially calibrate the TJP. It tells the TJP where these settings are. From there I found you can set whatever throttle curves you wish in case of failure.If memory serves, the TJP, like most other governors, will only engage once your throttle goes above 20%.

blake1210 08-08-2014 12:39 PM

Thank you for that! Sorry it took me so long to reply.
I kind of thought the curves worked that way, and yes it should kick in at 25% throttle. But....from what I understand it only controls the throttle if you are in stunt mode, not normal mode.
Since it will be a LONG time before I even try stunts, if at all, then I really should not worry about it.

Rafael23cc 08-08-2014 03:22 PM

Depending on your Governor Settings, you can be governed on Normal mode too. That's the reason for newbies not using governors.

Rafael

blake1210 08-08-2014 03:53 PM

Oh...OK! Thanks. It's not working on normal mode right now, so I should be good to go.
Thank you very much!

Rafael23cc 08-12-2014 07:38 AM

Best way to deal with governor is this:

If not installed, keep it that way.

If already installed, unplug the sensor lead from the control box. That will disable the rpm reading from the control box and the governor will fall back on the throttle curves to keep the model airborne.

Rafael

rotor09 08-12-2014 02:04 PM

I have been flying nitro and gasser helis for 33 years and added electrics 9 years ago. In years back, one had to learn three skills when flying helis with an internal combustion engine.

The first is how to tune the engine. It took me awhile to learn that with a carb that uses a two needle system, after the main needle was adjusted to "within the ball park", the most important adjustment then became the idle screw. Doing so insured a good transition and a good setting in the half throttle area (hover). Of course with the more esoteric carbs, those that had a third (midrange) needle, wherel a bit easier to get purring smoothly.

The next is to learn how to set a matched throttle curve to pitch curve as you could chase these needles all over God's green acres, to no avail, if the throttle curve and pitch curves where not closely matched.

The third, once into aerobatics, is to learn how to adjust cyclic to throttle mixes and rudder to throttle mixes, to keep the rotor speeds constant through all maneuvers.

I think the introduction of governors to the fold, was as important as the intro's of good gyros where - be they Yaw Rate or Heading Hold ones. Why you may ask? Simply because once you have learned to tune the engine so that it is in the ball park (it does not have to be perfect, as long as it is still n the rich side), then the governor will look after all the rest, even in normal mode.

Wether one used a governor or not, he still must learn how to tune an engine. That said, I think it is also important to learn to at least set a basic throttle curve as a back up system.

blake1210 08-17-2014 09:44 AM

Very good information! That is one thing I worry about, running to lean and ruining the engine.
Thanks!