RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   reccomendation for beginner helicopter/trainer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11677851-reccomendation-beginner-helicopter-trainer.html)

TVR4 04-24-2020 07:58 AM

reccomendation for beginner helicopter/trainer

I am looking for recommendations for a beginner helicopter. I have used RC vehicles for many years and have wanted to get one for quite a while but do not know what ones are worth the price.

I realize there will be crashes due to pilot error, i.e. me, so I am looking to keep cost down as much as I can until I have more experience.

There are so many rc helicopters out there and many, like the ones you see in stores, are more toys.

What would be a good heli to start? Used it ok.
I have many years of RC vehicle experience so can solder, wire and otherwise work with radios and all the components

To start I will be flying around the yard. Is there a good trainer app for phones so I can practice?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

winger76 05-22-2020 03:53 AM

I recommend the Blade 70s. Comes with everything you need for 60 bucks, and plenty of spare parts available. It is fixed pitch, houses the swashpate inside the frame, and is very light. This makes it very durable for crashes, so most crashes will result in no broken parts at all. It also has SAFE technology so it will self level while you are learning and then you can increase the rates as you advance. I wish they would have had this heli when I was first learning!

winger76 05-22-2020 03:56 AM

https://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-70-s-rtf-blh4200

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...ca944f919f.png

TVR4 05-22-2020 06:57 AM

The Blade 70 looks like a really cool helicopter. Horizon Hobby is out of stock at the moment. But I signed up to get notified when they are available.

I just purchased a Syma S107H and it is incredibly cool. It is relatively stable and I am getting practice. Only problem is that it only runs for about 5 min.
Just long enough to start having fun then the battery drains

I will look at the Blade 70 as an upgrade or possibly something else if I get enough experience

tomgreen 08-11-2020 08:31 PM

I also are new to this ,and are flying a Blade R120s2. I love this but it,s a little big to fly in the house. At least while am learning.

kmdakota1 07-08-2021 05:39 PM

i've flown fixed pitch mini's like this for years. It got boring. While it does give you some flying experience it still is not quite the same when you move up the ladder to a full collective pitch heli. I just recently bought an eachine e180 but i've still yet to fly it. I haven't flown it yet because when yuo crash these boys break. For the money you will spend in repairs and parts you will outspend the cost of a good simulator easily. I bought Real Flight 9.5 with the controller and can tell you its about as real as it's gonna get. I feel just like i'm flying for real. The apps for phones, etc aren't going to teach you anything you need a real controller with real physics programmed. Once you learn on the simulator you're gonna be pretty decent in real life as well. And if you think the simulator isn't fun and addicting guess again. It gets my adrenaline pumping and i get all scared about crashing and then i think to myself thank goodness it's a simulator because the heli i just totalled was trashed!

TVR4 07-08-2021 05:47 PM

Unfortunately I can't afford the $100 for the flight simulator at the moment.

But I have been flying the Syma helicopter for some time now..

I just got a deal on a Walkera Genius CP and Devo 7 transmitter for $20. So I thought it was time to upgrade my indoor flying.

I also just got a deal on a Walkera Master CP and Transmitter new. Now I need to practice outdoors! Whoo hoo.

TVR4 07-08-2021 05:47 PM

Unfortunately I can't afford the $100 for the flight simulator at the moment.

But I have been flying the Syma helicopter for some time now..

I just got a deal on a Walkera Genius CP and Devo 7 transmitter for $20. So I thought it was time to upgrade my indoor flying.

I also just got a deal on a Walkera Master CP and Transmitter new. Now I need to practice outdoors! Whoo hoo.

Bighad 07-31-2021 05:06 PM

I started with the blade 120s v2 RTF. It’s a great beginner. Since then I have moved up to a 230s v2 and am flying/learning.
getting pretty good, I must say.
I still think for the buck the 120 is an excellent choice.
I think what’s most important is to decide in the big picture what you want. I fly planes but wanted a copter for chilling in small areas. Upside down and all that back and forth doesn’t interest me. I like scale flying.
figure out your long term plans as that will effect the advice given.

pgh mike 01-30-2022 01:56 PM

back in hobby

I am looking for a beginner aircraft to use with my old Futaba Conquest FP-T5NLH 72mhz FM transmitter and receiver.

jcmors 02-24-2022 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bighad (Post 12688162)
I started with the blade 120s v2 RTF. It’s a great beginner. Since then I have moved up to a 230s v2 and am flying/learning.
getting pretty good, I must say.
I still think for the buck the 120 is an excellent choice.
I think what’s most important is to decide in the big picture what you want. I fly planes but wanted a copter for chilling in small areas. Upside down and all that back and forth doesn’t interest me. I like scale flying.
figure out your long term plans as that will effect the advice given.

The 120s is a great beginner heli and the 230s v2 is an excellent follow up. These newer models have safe (self stabalization) as well as panic modes that right the helicopter and place it into a stable hover with the push of a button if you get into trouble. We definitely live in interesting times!

Txmustangflyer 03-08-2022 06:52 AM

Another to look at might be the flywing fw 200 or 450 with the h1 system on it.