RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   WHY SO MUCH BASHING ON HELI BUYERS AT TH LHS????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/1365602-why-so-much-bashing-heli-buyers-th-lhs.html)

iflynething 12-20-2003 12:06 PM

WHY SO MUCH BASHING ON HELI BUYERS AT TH LHS?????

I have been to the LHS and have said many times that I would eventually like to get a heli; when i do I will get the Rappy......but neways, when I say that I will get a heli, everyone just says something like oh you don't need to get one of those, they are toooooooo hard to fly. And the repairs are too much....just a good crash will be a min. of 100 .........I don't see why there is so much bashing on newbie heli pilots.....well wannabie heli wanters like me.....WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN SOMETIME......I MEAN WE WEREN'T JUST BORN AND STARTED TO TALK.....WE HAD TO LEARN......I THINK THAT THAT SAME PRINCIPLE GOES FOR EVERYONE......WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN SOMETIME......IF WE WERE INTO PLANES.....WE HAD TO LEARN.....WHY NOT LEARN ON HELIS.......THANKS.......

nascarjoe 12-20-2003 12:45 PM

RE: WHY SO MUCH BASHING ON HELI BUYERS AT TH LHS?????

ORIGINAL: iflynething

I have been to the LHS and have said many times that I would eventually like to get a heli; when i do I will get the Rappy......but neways, when I say that I will get a heli, everyone just says something like oh you don't need to get one of those, they are toooooooo hard to fly. And the repairs are too much....just a good crash will be a min. of 100 .........I don't see why there is so much bashing on newbie heli pilots.....well wannabie heli wanters like me.....WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN SOMETIME......I MEAN WE WEREN'T JUST BORN AND STARTED TO TALK.....WE HAD TO LEARN......I THINK THAT THAT SAME PRINCIPLE GOES FOR EVERYONE......WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN SOMETIME......IF WE WERE INTO PLANES.....WE HAD TO LEARN.....WHY NOT LEARN ON HELIS.......THANKS.......
I've heard that many times from my customers. My instructor always ask his fixed wing students if they would like to fly a heli. More times than not, they say they were always curious about helis and many say that they were talked out of getting into helis just like you were. So, what I do now is not only offer, but go out of my way to get anyone I meet, in or out of my store, the opportunity to fly my store's Raptor 30.
I do the same with airplanes too, from trainers to scale. And get this, all for free.

I've explained this offer to all of my distributors but for some strange reason, they either don't believe that anyone would make such an offer, or business is just so good that they couldn't care less. Thing is, I've found that it's so very easy to make sales of both RC airplanes and helis. I serously doubt if there are any other hobby shops making such an offer. My message is come one, come all to fly RC and at your convenience

Joe Bartholomew
Lighthouse Hobbies
1560 Olcott St.
Olcott, NY 14126
1-716-778-0471

KiwiPilot 12-20-2003 01:39 PM

Both LHS's that I first visited enquiring about Heli's, told me that 'heli's are very expensive and you will not enjoy flying them'.
This was all because I didn't look like I could afford a heli - and before they asked me why I wanted to fly a heli.
I had already done my homework and knew what I was after (so was aware of the costs involved)

The two LHS's in question will not get my custom or that of my heli-flying friends (who had similar experiences), even though they stock a good range of parts and accessories.

They have lost out on several thousand $$ worth of business from myself and friends who are just getting into this hobby.

The bottom line is never judge anyone by what they look like (or what they are wearing)
If I had walked in wearing a suit I would have been given a very different response.

Spaceman Spiff 12-20-2003 02:21 PM

Your LHS is entitled to his opinion, just the same as any of us are entitled to ours.

The facts are: Helis are more difficult to fly, and they are a bit less forgiving. If you tip one over it balls up and beats itself half to death with whatever is left of its own rotors. some folks call it the rototiller dance. as your LHS pointed out it is not fun.

I have crashed 5 times in 7 months, even with lots of time on the simulator, but i have to say that the heli is so much fun, that i have begun to sell off my airplanes. They are a lot harder to fly, but they are also are far more fun once you get into aerobatics. the aerobatics these things can do go far beyond anything any plank can do.

iflynething 12-20-2003 02:46 PM

With what KiwiPilot said......I really agree that many of them are discouraging everyone to get a heli no matter what they look like. But, not to bash on my great HS, but thye really like it when someone buys a heli, because they end up buying all of the support equipment and all of that usually comes out to like 900+ so they wont say nething if some came in and said that they are coming out of the store with a heli......there was just a guy in my LSH, and bought a heli.....he spent 3 hrs they say for all the high tech stuff.......buy neways yeah.........THANKS ALOT.............

Spaceman Spiff 12-20-2003 03:26 PM

My LHS really loves me these days. I walk in the door and i swear i can see $ signs in thier eyes.

If an LHS is trying to talk you into starting with a planker, even though he will make much less profit on it, maybe it is because he likes you?

tigerflyer66 12-20-2003 04:35 PM

The shop I go to will advise you to get a sim first. I think that is a better way to go.They make a sale and will end up with a happier heli customer in the long run.

eballz 12-20-2003 10:44 PM

Any good LHS who is really dedicated to their customer's support would not discourage anyone from any hobby. I mean it just foolish for them to do so anyways, I mean they will make out on the $ anyways. Crashing a heli can be expensive no doubt but that means you'll be back :D

nascarjoe 12-21-2003 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: eballz

Any good LHS who is really dedicated to their customer's support would not discourage anyone from any hobby. I mean it just foolish for them to do so anyways, I mean they will make out on the $ anyways. Crashing a heli can be expensive no doubt but that means you'll be back :D
I totally agree. We give the customer the opportunity to make up their own mine whether to buy either airplane or helicopter. Interestingly enough, because they get a chance for hands-on experience of both airplanes and helicopters, more times than not, they end up buying both. Just think of it like taking a test drive when buying a vehicle from an auto dealer. BTW, we also have many different types of aircraft for experienced fliers to "test drive". Curious about flying a Pitts Bipe? We have one ready for anyone to fly. Want us to trim, setup or give a flight trim for airplane or helicopter, not to mention giving flight instruction? We are a full service - hands-on hobby shop.

Perhaps after reading how Lighthouse Hobbies does things, other hobby shop owners will follow. Hopefully, this will only provide a great service for RC aeromodeling customers everywhere.

Joe Bartholomew
Lighthouse Hobbies
1560 Lockport St.
Olcott, NY 14126
1-716-778-0471

iflynething 12-21-2003 10:08 AM

I wish that my HS did that.........to where they had planes that you could fly and see how they were..........wait nevermind.....they don't have to do that!!!......I have some very nice people at my flying field that let me fly their planes. They really trust me...I can't fly below almost 300 ft. but I have flown a SUPER STICK 1.20 twice, and then a 4* on a Futaba gold box......but I want a heli so bad.....but I'm young and I can't afford RIGHT NOW.......that doesn't mean that I won't ever get one..........WELL.......THANKS.....i'm gonna shop around online to find a good deal on a heli.......THANKS AGAIN..............

nascarjoe 12-21-2003 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: iflynething

I wish that my HS did that.........to where they had planes that you could fly and see how they were..........wait nevermind.....they don't have to do that!!!......I have some very nice people at my flying field that let me fly their planes. They really trust me...I can't fly below almost 300 ft. but I have flown a SUPER STICK 1.20 twice, and then a 4* on a Futaba gold box......but I want a heli so bad.....but I'm young and I can't afford RIGHT NOW.......that doesn't mean that I won't ever get one..........WELL.......THANKS.....i'm gonna shop around online to find a good deal on a heli.......THANKS AGAIN..............
Mike,
Very good. It's great that YOUR club lets YOU do that, but I'm sure they won't let just anyone off the street fly their planes. What we do is give people 15-30 minutes preliminary instruction on a trainer and then let them fly whatever plane we have ready to fly, many times they get to takeoff and land those planes. Keep in mind this is for free, meaning no need to join any club, nor any modeling organization before they fly.

nascarjoe

Double-OZERO 12-22-2003 05:40 AM

Well I'm glad to see that there is at least one hobbie shop out there that actually cares about the customer. For a couple of years my only hobby shop was hobby shack what is now known as HobbyPeople. They were pretty good about stocking a full array of Fixed and Rotor wing aircraft. But I have to tell you. The only people that worked those that were interested in the models more than R/C. Heck when I got stationed at Offutt in Nebraska I only had Hobbytown and yet the experience was the same. Finally I came across BelAir hobby in North Omaha and they were quite a help and actually knew what they were talking about but they didn't sell Heli's of any sort. I've finally gotten a mini heli and love it. Everyone says they are more difficult to fly and for 7 years now I had been wanting a nitro heli. I'm still on my first step to heli's and have only gotten a micro so I can teach myself before I come back from Korea so I can jump into scale. Many people have a problem with this approach but I tell you what, It's working for me. For many years I have been pushed away because some ignorant moron that had never even touched a heli in kit form would shy me away from them.

elmote 12-22-2003 11:08 AM

Here in So Cal we really have dedicated LHS for the most part. Go to Hobby People (et al) for 4-WD trucks or for planks. They dont stock, care, or know about helis and want you to buy what they DO sell. For Helis you go to the LHHS (Local Helicopter Hobby Shop)! There they stock only stuff for rotory craft. They get to know you and what you fly, and while they may get top $$, they don't give you any attitude.

Elmo Te

gmp123 12-29-2003 01:13 PM

also the thing about letting people fly your stores heli AWSOME IDEA i like out here in boulder colorado and i am one of 3 people who fly helis at our airport/club they are so much fun and im 12 and this is like the most fun i have ever had

drevil 12-31-2003 05:09 PM

I believe the reason alot of local hobby shops discourage people from buying helis is because they have never flown one themselves and they don't know much about them. So if you come back askng questions on heli flight, maintenance, and repair they dont know much about them and can't help you out.
Even though you will technically spend more money on replacement parts at your LHS alot of them try to scare you away from heli's because they are actually trying to help you. Most hobby shops want the customer to be happy and when the average dad/son hobbyist crashes a $1000+ heli they just bought they usually aren't happy customers.
Mike

iflynething 12-31-2003 05:49 PM

I agree with what everyone has said.....but I will get....I WILL GET A RAPTOR heli when I soon enough get a job.......hopefully that will be soon.......i'll get a Rappy V2, JR8102 (or Futaba equivalent), and all the other crap.....i mean other stuff that I will need for it ..gyro and stuff.............

ChopperMike 12-31-2003 07:04 PM

From my experience the people who bash on heli's are the people who know the least about them. When I first had the idea to get into heli's several members of my R/C club said things like "yeah, the problem with helicopters is there's nobody in the club good enough to fly one". That just made me more determined to try one!

Sure helicopters are harder to fly than fixed wing. Does that mean no one should try? Hell, no. Harder is some of the appeal. Doing something different. What's wrong with that?

Regards,

Mike

Century Hawk Sport
LMH Corona
Hornet CP
Futaba 9C

EagleOne 12-31-2003 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: KiwiPilot

Both LHS's that I first visited enquiring about Heli's, told me that 'heli's are very expensive and you will not enjoy flying them'.
This was all because I didn't look like I could afford a heli - and before they asked me why I wanted to fly a heli.
I had already done my homework and knew what I was after (so was aware of the costs involved)

The two LHS's in question will not get my custom or that of my heli-flying friends (who had similar experiences), even though they stock a good range of parts and accessories.

They have lost out on several thousand $$ worth of business from myself and friends who are just getting into this hobby.

The bottom line is never judge anyone by what they look like (or what they are wearing)
If I had walked in wearing a suit I would have been given a very different response.
I fully agree with you. Here in Brazil, there's a quite interesting story that happened in some 30 years ago. A very rich farmer, wearing farmer clothes (dirty and with a bad appearance) entered into the best hotel of the country's capital and the people at the reception refused to accept him because of his appearance. He got away and bought the landscape right across the street and made a even better hotel. So, this fully confirms the thesis that you shouldn't judge a person by it's appearance.

iflynething 12-31-2003 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ChopperMike

From my experience the people who bash on heli's are the people who know the least about them. When I first had the idea to get into heli's several members of my R/C club said things like "yeah, the problem with helicopters is there's nobody in the club good enough to fly one". That just made me more determined to try one!

Sure helicopters are harder to fly than fixed wing. Does that mean no one should try? Hell, no. Harder is some of the appeal. Doing something different. What's wrong with that?

Regards,

Mike

We all had to learn something sometime didn't we???? Why not chose to learn helis.......

Century Hawk Sport
LMH Corona
Hornet CP
Futaba 9C

Motor2 01-01-2004 12:38 PM

This is definately an interesting thread... I had the opposite effect the "anti-heli" HS. Being very new to the hobby myself, I entered the LHS and wanted to buy a plane. The owner of the LHS looked at me and said you should get into heli's they are much more fun. I was the one that said "na, way too expensive." Regardless I was gonna get into r/c something. The owner suggest that I get a simulator (RFG2) and practice thru the winter, this way spring comes and I can at least make a decent showing at the field. The shop has a PC set-up right as soon as you walk in the store with Real Flight G2 loaded up and a JR632 controller tethered to the desk. The owner sat me down and said play with this for as long as you want, but try the heli first. I was hooked INSTANTLY. Needless to say I have a RaptorV2, and a Shuttle PLUS currently on the way to the house. So going back to what NASCARJOE said by giving the customer a test drive really works, and it is the way ANY & EVERY LHS should operate ...KUDOS JOE!..too bad you aren't the remotely close to me or else you would have a customer for life!
By the way check out WWW.JET-HOBBIES.COM , they have the absolute cheapest RAPTOR V kits around... I paid $305 USD shipped for a RAPTOR V2 PRO (49BB) w .39 TTpro. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG!
-Vinny

- Don't bother running...you'll only die tired

iflynething 01-01-2004 02:46 PM

Hey man.....yeah....that is cheap heli.......WOW....I would
think that that is a great deal.......I will not be getting a heli soon
but will get one in the next 2 years probably.......Thanks for the info
though...I will keep jet hobbies in mind...THANKS...