RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Honest opinions welcome (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/2099666-honest-opinions-welcome.html)

Pocho 08-19-2004 01:05 PM

Honest opinions welcome

I have been flying airplanes fro three years now, and I'm thinking of switching over to E-helis. Because my family recently increased by 100 percent I AM STUCK AT HOME ALL THE TIME. I believe an electric helicopter will satisfy that nagging itch to go and rc an aircraft. I will be buying A zoom 400 (I've read many good things about this heli). I do not know how to fly a heli, the members at my field mostly fly airplanes and I have lost touch with them since the birth of my guys. Will learning be impossible on my own? When I started with airplanes I tried to learn on my own and failed miserably! I keep telling myself that initially, the helicopter will only hover a few inches off the floor so damage will be minimal if something goes wrong. Am I being naive to go at this alone?

changed 08-19-2004 01:13 PM

RE: Honest opinions welcome

Go for it man! There is enough info here on RCU that someone can help you set the heli up. Learning to fly a heli is different than learning to fly a plane, but I would not say it is any harder. The hardest part of a heli is setting it up get past that and you will do fine.

MajorTomski 08-19-2004 01:46 PM

May i suggest the Corona from LMH? My non RC brother in law flew my LMH 110 into a brick wall. It fell to the ground with the engine running, we straightened the blades and took off again.

Corona is very stable for an entry level copter and spares are cheap and online

Tom

FLYBOY 08-19-2004 01:49 PM

Get a good sim, G2 works well. Learn on there first. The sim will pay for itself in about 20 minutes. You will crash the heli, but if you learn on the sim, you may not. I learned before sims and taught myself on helis and never crashed, but that is pretty rare. Take your time and you will do fine. Get impatient and you will blow one up.

The sim will teach you the basics, then put training gear on the heli and start out in a large parking lot and get it just light enough on the skids to move it. Learn to put it where you want, moving forward, back, side to side and all. Then lift it a couple inches and do it again. Once you get that, lift a foot and do it again. Takes some time but you can learn it on your own pretty easy.

Someone to help you set it up is a huge help though. That makes more difference than anything. Flying a heli that is not set up right kills the fun and can be dangerous.

Good luck. If you have questions, ask them. We will help all we can.

-pkh- 08-19-2004 08:38 PM

Yep... get a good simulator and learn to hover. I'm self taught with a simulator as well, over 80 flights on my Raptor and no crashes yet! Larger CP helis (like the Raptor 30 & 50) are supposed to be more stable and easier to learn on. I've heard a lot of good things about the Shogun/Zoom 400, and if I had to go with a small electric that'd be my pick... in fact I'm actually thinking about getting one myself :D.

Put in lots of sim time, learn to hover well in the sim. Then put some training gear on your heli, proceed slowly and carefully with it, and you should do fine.

astronut30 08-20-2004 12:59 PM

The zoom may not be the best choice to learn on a heli. I hate to say it but but even though you do fly airplanes, which will help a little in ff but as far as hovering, it'll be starting from scratch. The Corona will be the best way to start off, it is fixed pitch so it is more simple and less things to break, also it is very durable and it holds it's value well so you can sell it easily. It's also going to be a lot easier to set up and you won't need as many extras like a pitch gauge and tachometer. Learn to hover with that, then sell it and get the Zoom if you wish, that would be the best bet. Make sure you get yourself a good heli radio though for future heli's.

As far as your assumption that damage is really minimal just because you hover slightly over the ground, yes it will be less than if you crashed from 40 feet but even if you just tipped it over, you can do some pretty good damage to it and you'll be ordering parts and wrenching. With the Corona, majority of the time, a tip or even a crash from a few feet, if you cut the power in time, won't do any damage that will prevent you from flying right away again.

Either way, heli's are fun and really addicting!

-pkh- 08-20-2004 02:02 PM

It seems like the CP on the Zoom should make it easier to learn on than a FP Corona. I believe the Cornona is larger, which would make it more stable, I guess. It would definitely be more durable...