RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   header tank (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/249221-header-tank.html)

jdonovan 08-29-2002 12:50 PM

header tank

I've seen some helis with header tanks .
What are the for and why would you need one :confused:

Jim L Cher 08-29-2002 02:32 PM

Header tanks

What's a header tank?!?

Furyflyer2 08-29-2002 02:47 PM

header tank

It's a extra tank mounted close to the main engine needle, their is no reason to use one IMO other than to get 2 more oz of fuel.

shawnkappner 09-05-2002 03:04 PM

Header Tank

I use a header tank on my Venture 30. The main gas tank is pretty well hidden inside the front of the cowl. The header tank gives me a good visual of how much fuel I have left. If the header tank is anything less than full, it is time to come down because the main tank is totally dry. Plus, it gives you foam/bubble free and consistent draw as the tank is always full. In my opinion, it has been well worth the few extra $$$.

RS2K 09-05-2002 04:30 PM

header tank

I highly recomend one becuase you can keep flying untill the main tank is 100% out of fuel... VERY nice fuel gauge.... that and it gives you 2 ounces of fuel. :)

Another reason it's there is that in extreme 3D flight there is a chance that the clunk in the main tank may get some air while the fuel is swashing around... The header tank makes this impossable because it is ALWAYS full of fuel... until the main goes empty.

LOL, what I do is fly up high till the main tank is gone then do hover manuvers till the header goes and auto down it the other 5 feet. :)

TEAMERICA 09-11-2002 05:47 AM

header tank

I agree, the Header tank is well worth the money. Without one, you have the last 2-3 ozs of fuel that can be accompanied with bubbles as the engine sips them from the large tank. With the header, which is usually 2oz and rather narrow, there is practically no chance of getting air into the fuel flow. You get to use ALL of your main tank with no problem and the header is a more high resolution fuel gage for that last 2 ozs.

Sure, I use the fuel in my header tank, but it is now 5 minutes later than I use to end my flight.

Also, there are many people that swear by them religiously as a consistent source of fuel for their venturi carburetors. Jet jockeys love them for that reason because "Dead Sticks" or "Flame Outs" are just as dangerous as "Sudden Autos". We use them at work on our UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) that have venturi carbs.

The Great Pumpkin

Whoison2nd 10-05-2002 05:53 AM

header tank

Header Tank it is then.. :) See I've learned to go ahead and get one that has been another question that I needed answered myself..

Clay

Culverson 10-08-2002 07:48 PM

header tank

I do not believe you can go wrong with a header tank, just extra fuel for longer flight time. But be careful with your plumbing (lines). The anodized braces are nice looking to boot! :) But very functional as well..

homeputer 01-03-2003 05:53 AM

Header tank

I have seen or read about this before, but can not find it now, how is the header tank connected, and then where would you place the regular tank. any info on hookup and reason for use other than those already pointed out, Thanks ..Ray

planelazy 01-03-2003 11:15 AM

Header tank.

Ray. I have always heard that the reason for the header is to keep the fuel to the needle more consistant as the fuel in the main tank drop's.You never see a main tank configured so the center of tank is centered on the needle valve.Anyhoo the pickup line on the header ,or the clunk goes to the needle valve and the vent line on the header goes to the pickup ,clunk of the main.The vent line on thr main goes to the muffler press as usual except on Y.S. Tim.

extremeflying 01-03-2003 11:46 PM

hehe

put the header tank on top of the heli LOL if u r just starting u really dont need a header tank. the purpose of the header tank is for inverted but if u not gonna do that u dont need it.

sudoxe 01-04-2003 06:22 PM

header tank

I just looked at fitting the header tank ive had here for ages to my heli...

On top of the tank there are 3 outlets
Looks a bit like::
I-I II

So you have the big one for the fuel, with fuel line going into the tank with metal end. One going to the main tank...

What is the other one for? from the muffler? But doesnt that go to the main tank etc?

Thanks
Dan

choppernut26 01-05-2003 02:00 AM

header tank

hi i'm new to heli's and just got my first one raptor 30 v1 used with some extras but no header tank so would it be a good idea to add one even for me hoovering and such thought it was more of a 3 d type thing ?

Cougar-RCU 01-05-2003 02:02 AM

choppernut26

I use them for AIR bubbles! And its a great Fuel gage!~S~ :D
Jeff

choppernut26 01-05-2003 02:03 AM

header tank

thanks for the few dollars it cost i guess that is a yes and will invest thanks a bunch :D