RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   picked up a sim, whats next? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/9531003-picked-up-sim-whats-next.html)

sil40sx 02-24-2010 02:10 AM

picked up a sim, whats next?

Hi guys, please bear with me since this is my fisrt post and I dont know anything about heli at all. (Not yet). So please pardon my ignorant questions.

Im planning to get my first heli this weekend so I purchased a real flight sim basic today from a local hobby shop. Ever since I was a kid I've been wanting to have one. And atlast, several decades later I can finally afford one. LOL. Anyhows, after watching videos on youtube, and browsing online, the Align t-rex 500 catches my eyes. I like the way it looks and the size is perfect. And from what I've heard (read) there are lots of parts that are available at local hobby shops and online. But I have a question though, which kit should Iget? There's ESP, CF and GF? Im guessing CF means carbon?which leads me to another question, does having cf or aluminum parts on heli really makes a difference?

Also, those kits says it doesnt include Transmitter, Receiver, Gyyro, Servo, Pitch gauge? Just by a quick google, those stuff cost twice than the kit itself. Its kinda stiff, but you guys can probably point me to some parts that doesnt cost an arm and leg.. The real problem though is I dunno what brand/model will work on the kit. And just FYI, I already read some threads similar to mine, but those stuff that recommended were high ends. But my case is kinda different, because I just want to have fun flying it, and Im not going to compete nor doing some 3D tricks. Just want the parts to be reliable and that will last long, -average parts in short.

Last question,.. Now that I have the sim, do you recommend practicing the specific brand that i will be buying, or i should not cut corners and start with the basic such as the Heli-Max Axe EZ? I already tried both, and the handling (i dunno the right term) difference is felt like night and day.

Looking forward to your kind replys. Thanks in advance!

Jas

Rafael23cc 02-24-2010 10:07 AM

RE: picked up a sim, whats next?

ORIGINAL: sil40sx

Hi guys, please bear with me since this is my fisrt post and I dont know anything about heli at all. (Not yet). So please pardon my ignorant questions.

Im planning to get my first heli this weekend so I purchased a real flight sim basic today from a local hobby shop. Ever since I was a kid I've been wanting to have one. And atlast, several decades later I can finally afford one. LOL. Anyhows, after watching videos on youtube, and browsing online, the Align t-rex 500 catches my eyes. I like the way it looks and the size is perfect. And from what I've heard (read) there are lots of parts that are available at local hobby shops and online. But I have a question though, which kit should I get? There's ESP, CF and GF? Im guessing CF means carbon? which leads me to another question, does having cf or aluminum parts on heli really makes a difference?
Delay the purchase of your kit until you are comfortable with the simulator.
You will not find a helicopter where carbon fiber replaces aluminum. Carbon fiber will either replace plastic or fiberglass, but it will never replace aluminum. Depending on the location, aluminum will replace moving plastic parts for longevity and sometimes stiffness. Sorry, I can't help you with the particular Trex 500 question.

Also, those kits says it doesnt include Transmitter, Receiver, Gyyro, Servo, Pitch gauge? Just by a quick google, those stuff cost twice than the kit itself. Its kinda stiff, but you guys can probably point me to some parts that doesnt cost an arm and leg.. The real problem though is I dunno what brand/model will work on the kit. And just FYI, I already read some threads similar to mine, but those stuff that recommended were high ends. But my case is kinda different, because I just want to have fun flying it, and Im not going to compete nor doing some 3D tricks. Just want the parts to be reliable and that will last long, -average parts in short.
You just found out the marketing "hook" of this hobby. Keep in mind that most if not all of the equipment is transferable to other aircraft when you are done with this one. The big catch is that you should buy the best equipment you can afford up-front for two reasons: reliability and durability. If you go cheap on the control and support equipment you will be buying another helicopter kit very soon.

Last question,.. Now that I have the sim, do you recommend practicing the specific brand that i will be buying, or i should not cut corners and start with the basic such as the Heli-Max Axe EZ? I already tried both, and the handling (i dunno the right term) difference is felt like night and day.

Looking forward to your kind replys. Thanks in advance!

Jas

For me, it does not matter which heli I fly on the sim. It all boils down to developing reflexes and orientation. I actually try to fly the biggest and baddest heli on the simulator. Then at the field, I know that my heli will be much slower and "manageable". That is unless I'm practicing a very demanding maneuver, which in that case, I will use an underpowered slow heli. That way I know that my heli has more power and is faster.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rafael

sil40sx 02-24-2010 11:13 AM

Thanks for the input Rafael! I guess I really have to keep reading more to be able to fully understand heli's and the parts that I will be needing. One thing I get confused though, you mentioned I can start practicing with the difficult heli's on my sim and not start with the basics one? Is not that gonna take me longer  to learn since Im a beginner? Of course, on your side is different because  (I'm assuming) you're already experienced heli pilot, thats why you can play with any models .

Based on the threads that I've already read, people here are recommending spektrum DS6i or DX7s. Does all the six channels will work right off the bat to a trex500? Or, do I need the extra channel and get the DX7?

I checked most of the prices of the parts that i will be needing to fly a Trex500 kit, and found out that I need atleast 1k. I guess I will have to wait couple weeks before I can complete them. Im just wondering, what would be the big difference between a 400 and 500? Other than its size? Does the handling will be different? TIA!

Jas

sil40sx 02-24-2010 03:36 PM

I am so stoked! I went to the shop today and bit the bullet. I got myself a Trex500, DX7, li-po charger/balancer, training gear, and special tools. If Im not mistaken I'm just missing a Gyro with servo and a 6C battery. I cant wait to fly this heli, but Im afraid it has to wait for some time before I can fly it. I still need to learn from the sim. BTW, which model is newer, the belt driven or shaft tail boom?

Anyways, which GYRO is good for a TREX500, and which servo? Futtaba, Quark, or Align? And for the battery, which one should i get? TIA!!!

Jas

Rafael23cc 02-24-2010 03:40 PM

Thanks for the input Rafael! I guess I really have to keep reading more to be able to fully understand heli's and the parts that I will be needing. One thing I get confused though, you mentioned I can start practicing with the difficult heli's on my sim and not start with the basics one? Is not that gonna take me longer to learn since Im a beginner? Of course, on your side is different because (I'm assuming) you're already experienced heli pilot, thats why you can play with any models .
You are correct, You could use a milder heli to learn the reflexes and orientation. Then go to the wilder ones to polish on the reflexes. it is still the simulator, you could grab any heli you want and just have fun with it. :D

Based on the threads that I've already read, people here are recommending spektrum DS6i or DX7s. Does all the six channels will work right off the bat to a trex500? Or, do I need the extra channel and get the DX7?
Don't just judge radios by the number of channels. Radios also have programming features. The problem is that the best programming features are installed on the radios that also have more channels. I explain.... A DX6 will probably have 3-point pitch and throttle curves. The new 9503 has 7-point pitch and throttle curves that give you the capability of fine-tuning your heli to your liking. Those are specially useful if you intend to fly scale in the future. 3D flyers tend to simplify things and a 3 to 5 point curve is sufficient.

So the suggestion to buy the most radio you can afford is the best suggestion anybody can give you. The more channels the more capable your radio will be.

I checked most of the prices of the parts that i will be needing to fly a Trex500 kit, and found out that I need atleast 1k. I guess I will have to wait couple weeks before I can complete them. Im just wondering, what would be the big difference between a 400 and 500? Other than its size? Does the handling will be different? TIA!

Jas

You could look in the classifieds area of the forums to try to find deals. You could also look in Ebay. Yes, if you have to buy everything including the radio, it will be close to or over $1k. Buying good equipment will ensure that you buy only once. A good radio will stay with you for a long time.

The phrase "Bigger is better" applies to RC. Even with the apparently small difference in size between the 450 and the 500, there is a big difference in stability. I own 2 450 size birds and have had the opportunity to fly a 500. They are great flyers.

Rafael

Rafael

sil40sx 02-24-2010 05:26 PM

Thanks for taking your time responding to my questions, I really appreciate it.

For the radio (remote control), I already picked up the DX7,. Hopefully I'll be able to understand the advance stuff that you're trying to explain to me eventually. As of now, I dont have a clue on what you have just said, so please excuse my ignorance.

So, anyone can give me tips on my previous Q regarding Gryo, servo, and batteries? TIA again!

trickle007 02-24-2010 06:29 PM

Here check these 2 http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=350COMor http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=353COMthose super combo have just about everything you need to get in air. still need tx and rx.

sb93gt50 02-24-2010 07:48 PM

Congrats on your purchase sil40sx! Iam anxiously awaiting the arrival of my T-rex 450 in the mail, it will be my first as well too. Which sim are you using?

sil40sx 02-24-2010 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Trickle, but like I mentioned, I already purchased a TREX500 ESP and a DX7 from a local shop, and Im currently putting it together now. All I need is a battery, and a GYRO with servo.

Thanks SB93GT! Cool!!! Where did you got it from, and how much if you dont mind me asking? Is it a RTF kit? Or you have to purchase other stuff to fly it? I got the realflight basic sim. I think its good enough for me to learn how to fly my TREX500. Im still a long way though :(

mediclavina 02-24-2010 10:55 PM

Congrats, on your new heli!
Good thing you got yourself a sim. Or your costly 500 would not last a minute on your first attempt to fly.

Be as patient as you can. Don't even try hovering your 500 until you could do it with control on the sim, unless you want to pay $$$ on repairs every time you crash.

FILE IFR 02-24-2010 11:40 PM

Regarding your new sim... You'll want to 'remove' that ratchety feel the left hand throttle/collective stick has to it. Hovering at a constant altitude will be impossible.

To fix this, you'll need to remove the back of the sim's transmitter and somehow flatten or bend up the tab that contacts the rack of the gimbal.

FYI: Helicopter version radios have a smooth throttle/collective stick set-up for the purpose of flying helis..... airplane flying is not an issue with a 'Heli' radio, but the opposite is an issue. ;)

sil40sx 02-24-2010 11:43 PM

Yeah man, thanks for the tip. I will definitely not going to fly it until Im comfortable flying on a sim.

OMG, took me an hour just to assemble the first part (main rotor assembly)  :(

sil40sx 02-24-2010 11:46 PM

Thanks for the tip File, I'll look into that as soon as I finished assembling my heli!

Real2You 02-25-2010 01:13 PM

Hey Sil.....that Dx7 is a nice radio... it has 5 point throttle and pitch curves....the 7 channels will allow you to use a govenor on a bigger heli if you ever go that route. You have a very nice combination with your Trex 500. Just make sure you practice on the SIM alot and put training gear on your heli before you try to hover. Take baby steps when learning....don't try to do to much to soon. Good luck and welcome to this awesome hobby.

Rafael23cc 02-25-2010 02:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Trickle, but like I mentioned, I already purchased a TREX500 ESP and a DX7 from a local shop, and Im currently putting it together now. All I need is a battery, and a GYRO with servo......
The post from trickle007 has a suggestion for gyro and servo right there, you just need to know what you are looking for.....
Gyro, Futaba 401 Servo: Futaba: 9650

Like I said before, i normally do not name specific brands or models and let the individual make their own research. Seems like the 401/9650 is a good combination. I have a couple of them. Keep in mind that the gyro is not matched to the helicopter, but it is best matched to the skill of the pilot. Right now the 401 is going to be way overkill, but as you progress, you can fine-tune the gyro to match your skills. When you start "blowing out" the tail on fast backwards flights, then you will know that it is time to upgrade your gyro.

Look closely, the suggestions from trickle007 also have a battery in there......

Rafael

sil40sx 02-25-2010 04:48 PM

Thanks Real2you! I'll probably read more about my radio when Im used to setting up my heli. Right now I honestly no clue what are the terms and controls/set up from the radio.

Im actually frustrated right now on my sim, its been two days and I cant fly the 500 to hover, move forward/backward and left/right the way I want it. Its either it goes to far, or face the wrong direction.. Im really sad :(

Sorry Rafael and Trickle, now that I looked closer at Trickle's post, it seems that he actually showed me the Gyro and servo. I just didnt payed attention to the details of the link as soon as I saw the TREX500 "KIT". My bad guys.

OK, I narrowed down my search to Align GP750 with DS6<font color="#ff0000">xx</font> and Futaba GY401 with S9650. Which do you think is better? And which servo for the GP750?

Real2You 02-25-2010 05:58 PM

Idon't know much about the GP750....Ihave the DX7 like you have and Ihave the GY401 with the 9254 servo and it has worked great for me. Ihave not done any 3D or anything, but so far I am very happy with that gyro/servo combination.

Rafael23cc 02-25-2010 06:10 PM

.....Im actually frustrated right now on my sim, its been two days and I cant fly the 500 to hover, move forward/backward and left/right the way I want it. Its either it goes to far, or face the wrong direction.. Im really sad :(
The learning curve to learn to fly these things is really steep. It will test your perseverance and patience. One day it will just click in your head, and you will be stoked!!!! Be patient.

Sorry Rafael and Trickle, now that I looked closer at Trickle's post, it seems that he actually showed me the Gyro and servo. I just didnt payed attention to the details of the link as soon as I saw the TREX500 ''KIT''. My bad guys.
No need to apologize, it happens quite often. I start thinking about an answer based on the title alone. A lot of the time, I just skip the post because it was not what I thought after reading it once or twice.

OK, I narrowed down my search to Align GP750 with DS6<font color=''#ff0000''>xx</font> and Futaba GY401 with S9650. Which do you think is better? And which servo for the GP750?
Sorry I can't help you with the Align stuff, I don't own any. The Futaba gyro is a good gyro and will take you far.

Rafael

dooleyje 02-25-2010 07:06 PM

The 750 is a very nice gyro with the Align520 servo. Super hold. The new 780 has a better piro consistancy as noted from some threads. I would also suggest the Futaba520 gyro. The cost is about the same as the 401 and I would use 9257 servo with the Trex500 or the Align 520. The Align digital servos are very nice and smooth with great centering and will work with 6V bec. The 9254 and 9257 are 5.1v servos only and will need a step down. I really like the Futaba520 and is my first choice in the new gyro lines. Yes there are others out there such as the Spartan and other exotic brands

Jim

sil40sx 02-26-2010 03:22 AM

Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it a lot!

OMG, lots of numbers, I'm confused. LOL. I will have to read your replys couple more times to get used to the model numbers. Just finshed some reports for work and too sleepy to do it now. I'll be back when I get a chance! Thanks again!

Jas

trickle007 02-26-2010 09:05 PM

Gyro + Tail Servo - http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=169840

Servos x3 - http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=151180

or if you like you can go all Align:

Gyro + Tail servo - http://www.helidirect.com/align-gp78...03-p-17139.hdx

Servo x3 - http://www.helidirect.com/align-ds51...500-p-8590.hdx

Battery - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._for_T-rex_500) Keep in mind this battery coming from Hong Kong its going to take some time to receive.

Bottom line is man your a beginner like myself any of these combinations of servo gyro is going to get you flying and us as beginners we not going to be able to tell the difference untill we get better. The wayi figure is i probally crash and have to replace parts long before they wear HAHA. Good luck man on this build I really like theTrex500 ibeen looking at it on thenet and drooling my girl thinks i am a freak cause all I do is research this crazy and insanly adddictive hobby,</p>

mediclavina 02-27-2010 12:59 AM

I've been drooling at the 500 helis as well, but I then realized this size heli won't be a good value for my money. It uses relatively more expensive batteries than a 450 but would only collect dusts during winter, because I don't enjoy flying outside when it's too cold. The biggest heli I'm willing to hover in my small work room during these times is a 450 size (like my Mini Titan SE).

trickle007 02-28-2010 11:19 AM

because I don't enjoy flying outside when it's too cold.
Ya I hear ya there i am on the tail end of finishing my trex 450 and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. I want my 1st test flight to be outside with lots of room but it looks like it just gonna have to be hovered in my warehouse.

But lets get back to Sil40sx, how did you make out Sil you deceide on servo gyro combo yet?

sil40sx 03-06-2010 03:06 AM

Thanks for the links and help guys,.. Well I ended up getting just the GY520 with DS520. I got really busy at work and didnt had time to fly (hover) until two days ago. I was so happy  i was able to hover atleast 10 secs for my first hover without damaging anything, LOL.  My only problem is that my bird is drifting (dont know the term) to the left and a little backwards. I tried playing on the trims but when I actually hovering, the trims I adjusted always comes out not enough. Any idea what could be wrong? Also, I get a lot of vibrations, its like a jack hammer. LOL. I've read that I need to check my blades for balancing and tracking. I dont have a problem doing the balancing, but the tracking is kinda difficult, because everytime I do sumtin on the linkage my pitch is messed,... Any tips?