Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Shuttle Chalange

Old 07-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Doc11
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuttle Chalange

I am trying to learn on the Shuttle Challenger with training gear. Any tips would be great. I am in the PA. mountains and no help is near. Is this a good machine. Thanks to all. Doc
Old 08-16-2003, 09:10 PM
bpasternak
My Feedback: (4)

Default Shuttle Chalange

Hi Doc.

Sorry to hear that you have no help in your area but you should be OK with the Shuttle Challenge. I learned on the Challenge and after I removed the training gear I beat the crap out of the heli for over a year before it was brutally attacked by the ground.

Some tips. Double check everything including the servo throws, proper direction of swashplate and tail rotor, blade pitch, etc.

For starters you want your blade pitch to be set for -2, 5, 8 or 9.

Make sure that your throttle servo is moving in the right direction. Confirm that the carb is closed at full down throttle and down trim and full throttle open on full up throttle.

Don't worry about setting pitch or throttle curves or throttle hold. You won't need it for learning to hover.

Again, make sure the swashplate moves in the proper directions according to the cyclic input. The manual covers this with pictures.

Now for flying:
Make sure your flying area is adaquate for the heli with no obstructions or other people in the area. No kids or pets. Make sure any spectators are behind you at a reasonable distance....just in case. It may be a good idea to have someone there with you for assistance.

For engine startup make sure the throttle is set properly.

The heli should be 20 feet or more from you with the tail pointing at you during run-up.

Once you have the heli running slow start to increase throttle so the heli starts to get light on it's skids. At this point watch the tail...if the tail rotor is out of adjustment the heli may want to slide to the left or the right. This is easily fixed by adjusting the tail rotor servo.

What kind of gyro are you using?

View the main rotors and notice how the rotor head reacts to input from the cyclic.

Never input sudden or large control inputs. Everything should be slow and steady.

Start "sliding" the heli on the ground to get a feel of the heli.

Once the heli is light on it's skids and if everything seems ok add a little bit more throttle/collective to raise the heli off the ground a few inches or so.

Don't go above a foot or so until you are confident that you can hover the heli.

Once you have mastered these steps start increasing throttle/collective to get a little more altitude...say 3 to 5 feet.

Practice hovering at this altitude. Start to move the cyclic back and forth very slowly. Remember...no sudden control movements.

Do you have a flight sim?
These do help!

Let us know your progress or if you have any other questions!

Have fun!
Old 08-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Giant Scale

Default Shuttle Chalange

Brian,
You forgot to invite him to come to the field and have one of the guys help him get started. Our club has a wealth of experience available for the newcomer. Some time on the buddy box will help out a great deal. Getting a heli setup and trimmed out can be a daunting experience for the newcomer. Also make sure to get a supply of spare parts, you'll need them eventually.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:12 PM
bpasternak

Default Shuttle Chalange

Originally posted by Giant Scale
Brian,
You forgot to invite him to come to the field and have one of the guys help him get started. Our club has a wealth of experience available for the newcomer. Some time on the buddy box will help out a great deal. Getting a heli setup and trimmed out can be a daunting experience for the newcomer. Also make sure to get a supply of spare parts, you'll need them eventually.
Good point.
I looked at Doc's profile but wasn't familiar with his area and whether a trip to Delaware would be possible.

Doc, if you can travel to Delaware our club The Delaware R/C Club www.delawarerc.org does have a large heli group with a ton of Hirobo knowledge. We even have a Shuttle Challenge as a Club heli which we give instruction to new comers.

Our club is approx 1/2 hr from Wilmington Delaware just a couple of miles off of I-95. There are directions on the website as well as a link to Yahoo Maps which give detailed driving directions from your starting address.

Have fun!
Brian Pasternak
Old 08-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Doc11

Default Spare Parts

Spare parts I had to use them already. Thanks for the invite to the club it is a trip but possible I live in Potter Co. PA. way up north. I managed to get it trimmed and off the ground (Reason for the spare parts) Started to get careless and did some damage by putting the tail into a small hill. I should have stayed on the flat ground bu got carried away the way things were going. Hovered for about 10 to 15 seconds. One question when the heli starts to spool up it vibrates a bit until the RPM's come up is this normal? Thanks for the advice ,it will take time but looks like I will make it . Have a good day. Doc
Old 08-17-2003, 10:34 AM
lifesintheair
My Feedback: (15)

Default Shuttle Chalange

Increase the throttle pitch curve at hover. You need more head speed. Start by using very little incremnets. (I/E 2-3% values) Or you may need to decrease you pitch cure at hover. Try both but one at a time. That should cure your prolbem.

Brian M.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Doc11

Default Speed

When I get close to hover speed it smoothes out. Doc
Old 08-17-2003, 11:32 AM
bpasternak

Default Re: Spare Parts

Originally posted by Doc11
One question when the heli starts to spool up it vibrates a bit until the RPM's come up is this normal?
Hi Doc,
Make sure that your rotor blades are straight before spin up. If the blades are too tight it may take some force to get them to even out. Don't have your blades too loose though...this isn't good either. The blades should be firm in the blade grips. They shouldn't move just by touching them but should move easily with just a little bit of pressure.

Also, blade balancing is important an so is blade tracking but if the vibration goes away then these probably aren't a factor. Also check the tail rotor blades for the proper tightness.

Try not to get carried away. Take things slow. Just lift the heli off the skids a couple of inches and try to maintain a hover. You will be in a ground effect at this point but it shouldn't affect you that much.

Keep us informed!

Have fun,