Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

motor smoking

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM
little_cee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor smoking

Hi everyone,i was wondering if you guys could help me.I have a o.s. max-32sx-h series engine in my centrury hawk.I have the main needle valve turned back 1 1/2 turns as i have read it should be.It starts fine and flys fine for about 2 to 3 mins .Then it starts to smoke from the motor.I had this heli for awhile and never had this problem before.I never touched anything as far as the low mixture or anything so it should'nt be that.I did notice that the engine is hot after i land itas soon asi start to see the smoke from the engine.All i am doing is hovering it.I am thinking it might be the fuel i am using.It is 30% that i got around four years ago and it might be bad.any help would be great.thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
tadawson

Default RE: motor smoking

Exhaust smoke, or ? ? ? If you don't have a smoky exhaust, you are likely way, way too lean, and overheating your engine massively . . .

1-1/2 turns is the *STARTING* point and has exactly *NOTHING* to do with what setting is appropriate for any given engine and heli combination!

- Tim
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
rotor09

Yep, sounds like bad fuel or plugged filter, as it is surely going lean.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Replace all the fuel lines, including and especially the clunk line in the tank, then start looking for air leaks, something like loose head bolts, loose carb, loose muffler etc.

And get new fuel
Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 AM
little_cee

K,i'll try that. It does have a good amount of smoke from the muffler end as i think it should be. It does have good power and doesn't boge down. I touch the motor and it is very hot.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 AM
tadawson

Oh a heli, it's very simple . . . if it's too hot, it's too lean, and the power you are getting does not matter! Heli engines are not tuned for peak power like airplane engines - they just don't hold up that way!

- Tim