Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Storage charge mode pointless or what?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Storage charge mode pointless or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
denodan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage charge mode pointless or what?

I know about the storage charge mode for Lipo batteries, but when I go to charge my batteries, they are at a good storage charge anyway, so whats the point of this, if your batteries are allready at good storage voltage?

When I finish I am around 11.50 volts, so pretty close to not need the storage mode. I used to use it, but now don't see the point?

The only reason I can see it's use if you fully charge your batteries, but cannot get to use it in a 24 hour period, so only then use the storage mode on your charger, so now under normal use, don't see the need for this mode?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Storage charge mode pointless or what?

Its like you say, if they are charged and you're not going to use them.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Storage mode is basically to set the battery to 50% of its charged capacity. If you are only running your batteries down to 50%, you are effectively flying them down to storage mode, so no need for that function for you personally. If you fly them to say 20-30% like most, or charge your batteries before leaving for the field but then end up not flying them all, storage mode is useful to bringing then to 50% for storage. It all depends on ones process, and how important it is to keep their batteries in good shape.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
denodan

Are you better off using them? If you have so many batteries that you cannot use, is this also not shorting a batteries life, because is not storage mode counted as a cycle?

If half the time you end up having to discharge full batteries to storage charge, then maybe you have to many batteries. Think there maybe a balance between noty enough batteries and to many. For me 3-4 will be the most I would want, anymore and I think I would be discharging in storage mode, so a waste of a cycle. So if batteries are only good for 500 cycles, and 15% of the time or so, your putting batteries on Storage charge from full charge, does this mean you have to many batteries? and still end up with shorter battery life due to discharging.

I just think personally to many batteries is as bad as not enough, so for me 4 would be the max I would ever want. I would rather make every battery count and use them than having to discharge some.

As has been said, the bigger helicopters use much dearer batteries, so would think make every battery being used makes sense and would lead to max battery life, rather then having to discharge some, so wasting the battery, and shorting it's life?

I think the moral is, not to have to many batteries, that they all cannot be used.
ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Its like you say, if they are charged and you're not going to use them.