Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

700 size Helicopter Autopilot with GPS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

700 size Helicopter Autopilot with GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM
Rgfidler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 size Helicopter Autopilot with GPS

Want to purchase, install, setup an autpilotfor a Align 700E helicopter. I also own a Hexacopter DJI S800 with a DJI wookung M auotopilot which works quite well and DJI makes a autopilot for a helicopter called a Nasa H system which sells for approx $500. There are more than just a few choices. Align makes a APS system with GPS, KDS Flymentor, Helicommand, Futaba CGY750, Skookum has a new system almost ready to release. There is good and bad info out there on all of these systems but not a lot of info about how they really perform and can they be tweaked without a phd in electrons. I am a longtime rc pilot but new to helicopters and basically want an autopilot system to offer a save mode in case of a crash about to take place.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 700 size Helicopter Autopilot with GPS

You do not need a GPS system to prevent a crash. You do not need an autopilot to prevent a crash. I've flown with a simple infrared system offered by FMA that keeps the aircraft level when the sticks are released.

There was an incident yesterday, where an individual flew a quadcopter in the approach of JFK. FBI is looking for the individual. A brand new pilot, asking these type of questions throws a huge red flag to the rest of us that want to keep the Feds out of our hobby.

Rafael
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Rgfidler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax Rafael, let's let LE deal with lawbreakers. Please do not comment about what my reason would be for asking the question. I am born and raised citizen of the USA and frankly find your comment out of order.  Maybe you should call the FBI, or maybe you should just go away.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Easy now.

As he said, the FMA CoPilot II will auto level when the sticks are released and with the hard deck module won't let you fly under 50 feet while its engaged unless the heli is within a few degrees of level.

Raphael, like the rest of us deeply rooted in the hobby, is worried about the ramificaitons of some of the systems available today off the shelf and their use thereof.