Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for large electric heli

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Looking for large electric heli

Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Beasley1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for large electric heli

Wondering what you guys recommend. Looking for a large electric heli preferably with a full body. I just cruise around not looking to fly upside down.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 AM
ATVAlliance

Probably your best option, cost wise would be an Align Trex 500.

They arent much more to build than a 450, but almost twice the size. And if you go with say an MD500 fuse...it would be even larger than the typical pod canopy and boom.

However, since the MD 500 fuse makes any pod/boom heli appear to be much much larger...you could probably get by with a 450. My recommendation still is for the 500. The 500 is just a real nice flyer that is stable and large.

Google up some MD500 fuse and Trex 500 pics.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Solman

+1 I had a friend who had a 500 in a MD 500 fuselage and it looked great. It also sounded like a turbine too.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Beasley1

thanks guys looked them up there nice. Little more then I wanted to spend but I don't wanna buy something twice either lol
Old 08-14-2013, 04:36 AM
ATVAlliance

Originally Posted by Beasley1 View Post
thanks guys looked them up there nice. Little more then I wanted to spend but I don't wanna buy something twice either lol
There is always the clone route then. Take a look at the HK500 or the CopterX or KDS or even an EXI(if they are still being sold here in the states). That would save you a considerable amount. However, by the time you buy good quality electronics...and then replace the parts that need to be replaced from the start...you wont really be saving anything.

Id go with an Align Super Combo kit. This way you get everything you need that is at least of decent quality to start with. Thats just my opinion based on the fact that when I started out I went the clone route and cheap electronics, only to pay for it in the long run by having component failures that most always caused me a crash or had enough landing to do damage.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Beasley1

Ok let's say I went with the HK500 kit for $100. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_compat_.html

i already have a nice Lipo chcharger what would you recommend to finish this kit off?
motor
radio/reciever
servos
etc..

again I don't plan on doing crazy flying, just Cruisin around

thanks for the help guys
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 AM
ATVAlliance

Ok let's say I went with the HK500 kit for $100. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_compat_.html

i already have a nice Lipo chcharger what would you recommend to finish this kit off?
motor
radio/reciever
servos
etc..

again I don't plan on doing crazy flying, just Cruisin around

thanks for the help guys

Motor = Look at a Turnigy for a 500 class heli if you are wanting to stay cheap...I have several Turnigy motors being flown in a few planes as well as my 550 heli and no troubles thus far. Or if you have the money, look at Scorpions in the 500 class

Radio/Reciever = This is really up to what you prefer. I personally use Spektrum so obviously that is what I would recommend, but there really is no wrong answer here. Just be sure that you get a radio that will have at least 6 or more channels and heli programming. In a Spektrum that would mean you would need at least a DX6i or more. I would look at the DX7s or the DX8. If you have time...for about 50 more dollars than the DX8, there will be a new DX9 released in September. Then of course you would want at least a 6 channel FULL RANGE reciever.

Servos = Really, dont skimp here. At the very least get Align 510's for cyclic and a 520 for rudder

The only thing I could lump into your ETC, would be...

Gyro = You can get cheap ones for under 20 bucks, but I suggest spending the money on a good one. A Spartan Quark would be what I recommend.
Batteries = I run a 5s 4000 zippy in my 500. Some people run 6s, and that is fine too...but since you arent interested in flying 3d and this is going to be a scale fuse heli...5s 4000 or maybe even a 5000 pack would do you fine.

ESC = Any 70-100 Amp should do. I run an Align ESC with separate BEC on my 500...but I like the Castle Creations Ice ESC's simply for their data logging function.
BEC = Any 5-8amp BEC should do...I run an Align one.

Once you start pricing the good electronics...you will be able to see how good a deal buying the Align Super Combo is. I mean, if you buy the super combo...you will get everything you need minus the TX/RX.

Here are a couple ebay links to what I think are good deals, any of which I would seriously consider before going the clone route.

Here is one that is the cheapest, but its outfitted with plastic parts over the bling bling aluminum stuff...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-...-/300941059681

Here is a DFC (this is a flybarless heli) withOUT the 3GX FBL controller (can be bought just about anywhere for around 100 bucks)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-...-/261264998649

Here is one that has the metal bling bling parts...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Align-T-REX-...-/190870878862

I dont think you could go wrong with the one for less than 400 bucks since you will be stuffing it inside a scale fuse. Then just upgrade the head and tail and bearing blocks etc...later on as your budget can afford it.

Goodluck!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Beasley1

Thanks for all that info!!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM
ATVAlliance

No problem.

If you can swing the price...go for the DFC flybarless heli. Because having a flybar on a scale fuse heli just doesnt look right, to me anyway. And like I said...the 3GX or even a good off brand can be had for 100 bucks or less.

Not to mention that setting up a FBL head is simpler than its FB counterpart. Just a little more involved in programming the FBL unit to handle no flybar.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Solman

If you can swing the price...go for the DFC flybarless heli. Because having a flybar on a scale fuse heli just doesnt look right, to me anyway.
DFC and scale are not the best combination. With DFC,you have to keep a high head speed. For scale, you want to slow it down a bit to get the scale effect.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Kaos

I bought a new T-Rex 550e about 6 weeks ago after flying my T-Rex 450 Pro for about a year and a half. My 450 arrived as a conventional flybar machine and I learned to fly fairly well with it. Then about 4 months ago I converted it to flybarless. It was a bit of a challenge to setup as this was my first FBL machine, but once going, never looked back. I started making more progress with my flying skills and was also able to fly in much more wind. Then I got my new 550. Wowzer, what a machine! I have advanced more in the last 5 or 6 weeks than I have in the last year and a half! It's smooth, it's stable, it's fast (if you want), yet it will do anything you ask with no surprises. I still can't believe how smooth and quiet it is - like music. BTW, the new T-Rex 550e like mine comes with the 600 tail boom, 600 motor and 600 rotor head, not to mention a Castle Talon 90A ESC.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Beasley1

Well I went to local hobby shop and went against all the advice given to me I'm sure ill regret it but it is what it is. They sold me a blade 500 3D for $255
now I just got to figure out what radio and battery to go with.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 AM
ATVAlliance

Well I went to local hobby shop and went against all the advice given to me I'm sure ill regret it but it is what it is. They sold me a blade 500 3D for $255
now I just got to figure out what radio and battery to go with.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Blade, based on your limited experience (Im assuming here).

Is it PNP(plug n play)? Or do you need a receiver too? I ask this because if it is PNP...it will be more economical to go with Spektrum radio. go with at least a DX6i...but I would go with the new DX7s if your budget can allow.

As far as battery goes...check the manual. Im sure they are going to recommend a 5s, but the blade 500 may be able to handle a 6s pack depending on motor and ESC. Again, all of this will be in the manual.

When it comes to batteries on the cheap...I like Zippy's. HK has them and they are a good "bang for your buck".

Im not really sure what is available "bolt on" for the Blade 500 as far as scale canopies go. But Im sure you can make it work somehow when the time comes.

Goodluck! And nice purchase, btw.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Beasley1

Originally Posted by ATVAlliance View Post
I dont think you can go wrong with the Blade, based on your limited experience (Im assuming here).

Is it PNP(plug n play)? Or do you need a receiver too? I ask this because if it is PNP...it will be more economical to go with Spektrum radio. go with at least a DX6i...but I would go with the new DX7s if your budget can allow.

As far as battery goes...check the manual. Im sure they are going to recommend a 5s, but the blade 500 may be able to handle a 6s pack depending on motor and ESC. Again, all of this will be in the manual.

When it comes to batteries on the cheap...I like Zippy's. HK has them and they are a good "bang for your buck".

Im not really sure what is available "bolt on" for the Blade 500 as far as scale canopies go. But Im sure you can make it work somehow when the time comes.

Goodluck! And nice purchase, btw.
Hey thanks man it's a bind and fly. Yeah he said spectrum is the way to go also since it already has the receiver. It says it takes a 6s Lipo battery.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Beasley1