Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How to clean/restore an unused motor?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

How to clean/restore an unused motor?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 PM
okcomputer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean/restore an unused motor?

I have a new YS .60sr heli motor from an unfinished project that has just been sitting in mounted in an airframe on my workbench for about two years now. Its certainly got some dust accumulated, and I never installed the air filter or pipe, so i think its safe to say it has dust on at least the carb and exhaust port. I've never disassembled a nitro motor before, and was wondering what steps I should take before attempting to start using it. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:34 AM
rotordoc1

Just curious as to what Heli you plan to install it into? Would you be open to selling it?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:57 PM
The Saylors

So i have experience with ground base nitro, not air, so you can take this advise how you like. If it were me i would get a new carb if they are cheap (mine are usually $25 on ebay) for that motor and keep the old one as a backup or for parts. All carbs, big and small, are very susceptible to particulates. The exhaust on the other hand i wouldn't worry too much about. One thing is that if it sat for that long i would think the factory oil will have either dissipated or be made of gunk so i would take the head off and the back plate and have a look inside. If its clean and shiny then you will probably be fine but if it looks old then i would be concerned. Also i would put some after run oil in it from the glow plug hole and gently work the engine to make sure that there aren't any rough spots. There should be some compression as the piston moves to TDC but is should never feel rough or have a grinding sensation. Once you have moved a little bit of oil around in it and have let it sit for a few hours to soak in then give it a go and see what happens. If you want to know how to disassemble a nitro before you get to work look up a vid on you tube. Even if they don't have a vid of the exact motor you have, rest assured that they are all largely the same. Even if the parts are a slightly different shape the steps are the same. Hope this helps!